Punching in a Dream

Douze

The morning burned through the window; my eyes wondered around the room until they realized Grayson wasn't in the bed anymore. I hushed my accelerated, anxious heart & sat up, covering myself up with the sheets.

"Grayson?" My voice cracked, desperate for liquids.

"Yes?" His voice was musical, but something was off. "I'm in the living room."

I got up with the sheets, following the sound of his voice. "Is something wrong?" I starred at him intently, begging for him to smile, or at least chuckle to let me know everything was okay. He looked up at me, his blue eyes locked with mine. Bags under his eyes hung intensly, how could he be so tired?

"How come you got up last night?"

I exhaled. "I thought I had to use the bathroom."

"Is that where you found the broken condom?"

I bit my lip. "I didn't want to wake you, I figured we could talk about this in the morning. Meaning now."

He bowed his head slightly, "I'm so sorry, Juniper. If you're....you know.....I promise to stand by your side."

My jaw dropped. "You mean, you aren't mad at me?"

"Why on earth would I be mad at you? I was the one who broke the thing; not you. Shit, aren't you late for work?"

"Fuck, yes. I'll call it in. Give me a moment." I ran to the phone, dialing the Museum's number. The days went by in such a blur, how could I have forgotten, did I forget which day of the week it was again?

Holly wasn't pleased, but she understood & gave me an hour to get to work.

"Look, we will talk about this later. I will take a pregnancy test & sort this out. But before I leave, there is something you should know. Someone broke into my house. They didn't take anything though. Which is weird."

"Maybe what they wanted to take was your life. Why didn't you say anything? It could be your dad!"

"I know......that frighten's me. Could you drive me to work? I don't want to be alone...."

"Sure. Just let me throw something on."

I watched as Grayson walked away naked. I giggled inside. So cute. My smile vanished when the thought of Daddy in my house. My stomach turned in knots. Shit. This can't be happening. I cleaned up my tracks, I made sure I left no hints of where I might be. Unless Pieper spilled the fucking beans.....God dammit Pieper.

I closed my eyes & rubbed my temples. I was in yesterday's clothes. This will just have to cut it for today. I will go suit shopping tonight. So much stress.

Grayson walked out of the room in sweats, vans, & a tank. He guided me to the car quickly.

"I should have checked....."

"Shhhh, it's okay. Just calm down. We can figure this out."

"What if you are, though?"

"Then it is what it is. I'm fine with it. But would you be? After, like, the second date?"

He groaned. "We really did rush it."

"Who doesn't these days?"

"True, but still....."

"Don't beat yourself up about it. We can work this out."

I hopped out of the car, came around, & pecked his lips before sprinting into the Museum doors.

Holly waited for me at the front desk. When she looked at me, her eyes filled with disgust.

"What are you wearing?"

"Look, I had a long night, & realized someone broke into my house. I may be a mess, but I am here to do the job right. I can do this if you give me a chance. My outfit will be more professional tomorrow. I promise."

Holly gave a quick hmph, & led me to the front desk. "Today you will just give directions & answer costumer questions. Got it?"

"Yes ma'am."

The day went by slowly; the two things that clung to my brain were, a baby covered in tattoos & gauged, & Daddy standing in my room. Both put me on edge. I few times I had to catch myself right before crying. Holly watched me like a hawk, glaring at me everytime I didn't smile at the people in the museum. Is this something I will have to do for the rest of my life if I am pregnant? Is this all I will ever know? Minimum Wadge?