Punching in a Dream

Treize

I went straight home; ignoring the continuous phone calls, text messages, voice mails; ignoring the fact that I was supposed to be with Grayson tonight, ignoring the fact that I don't have anything for my job with Holly, ignoring the fact that I can barely breathe. I burst through the door, looking at the mess on the floor. Everything I owned was scattered around the room, ripped, wrinkled, distorted, not where I put them. I sighed in irritation. I walked past everything, going straight to the kitchen. I brought out my phone from my back pocket, looking at all of the notifications.

I looked at my surroundings, looking at the mess in my house. I sat up on the counter, rewinding everything that has happened from the start. First, bought the house on my lap top, a month later, packed everything I owned, erased my tracks, drove to California with keeping everyone out of my secret. I escaped the epitome of hell, & arrived here, to my new sanctuary. A long the way, I had met Grayson, he became possibly the man of my dreams in a matter of days of knowing him. Had sex with him a few days ago, & now facing the consequence of being to eager, I'm 99% sure I am pregnant. What the fuck, Juniper.

I groaned as I bowed my head, digging my fingers into my hair, pulling at myself tightly. The slight pain over lapped my anxiety & fear. I don't know how Daddy could find me, I don't know how Pieper would know my location other than the fact that I am in the Sunny Place. I don't know how anyone could stalk me if I have been with Grayson, or living late nights at my jobs, & not having time for my own home. None of this makes any sense, but since did reality ever conclude? I drew up the courage to dial 911, which I have never done in my entire life.

"911, what is your emergency?"

"Yeah, hi, I believe someone has been frequently breaking into my home."

"& you are positive about all of this?"

"If you call being positive by the fact that one of my windows is broken, everything I own is scattered through out my house, ripped & dirty, things are missing, then yes. I am positive."

The women on the other line sighed, irritated by defeat. "I will send someone your way."

"Don't you need my address?"

"You're new to this; we have your cell phone connection. It shows me where you are." She hung up, I gulped. What if that is how Daddy found me.

After twenty minutes of waiting, despite the fact that the Police Station is ten minutes away, there was a knock on the door by a very large, masculine officer. He bowed his head to me, his masked face was no match for his delicate warm brown eyes.

"I'm Officer Darwin, may I come in?"

"Yes, of course. I'm Juniper, welcome."

"Are you the only one that lives here?"

"Yes, this is my house."

I went into the closet, grabbing two lawn chairs, placing them in the living room before us. The way he looked at me told me he knew I literally had nothing & was a newbie.

"Where are you from, Juniper?'

"Detroit, Michigan."

"How old are you?"

"Old enough."

"Are you sure someone broke in?"

"Cut the shit; if I wasn't afraid for my life, I wouldn't be calling out for help."

"Why are you afraid for your life?"

"Look, I have dealt with cops my entire life. My Daddy was a cop; & before you smile, gaining a respect for me, let me tell you this: I ran away from Detroit to escape him. First, bought the house on my lap top, a month later, packed everything I owned, erased my tracks, drove to California with keeping everyone out of my secret. I escaped the epitome of hell, & arrived here, to my new sanctuary. A long the way, I had met Grayson, he became possibly the man of my dreams in a matter of days of knowing him. He doesn't even know where I live. No one does except for me."

Darwin stroked his chin, in shock. "Alright then, let's get down to business." He took out a shimmering black ball point pen & note pad, writing down the details I had just spilled.

"Have you recently heard from your father?"

"Just threats from a few days ago."

"What did these threats say?"

"Just the usual, telling me that if I don't tell him where I am or return home-"

"What did he threaten."

"Physical abuse."

"Can you go into detail?"

"I'd rather not." Darwin nodded, understanding. "Does anyone in Detroit know where you are?"

"My best friend, Pieper, knows that I am in California. She didn't know I had left Detroit until a day after I got here. She doesn't know my exact location."

"You said that this has happened frequently, how frequently?"

"A few days ago, before I went to Grayson's for dinner, I noticed that my childhood toy was missing. Not, oh-I-left-it-someone-where missing, but someone-took-it missing."

"How do you know?"

"Because I never took it off the bed. It stayed on the floor when it dropped, I searched for it. I have only been in this house for a little more than a few days. It isn't even Friday yet."

"What happened after the second break in?"

"This is what happened," I pointed around the room, showing him my clothes on the floor, a few items ripped or crushed, doors closed when they were open. "What about windows?"

"One is broken, all of them have been closed, & will remain closed."

He stroked his chin again, looking down at his writing pad. "Is there anything else I should know?"

"If I find anything else, I will let you know."

"For now, you will be put under surveillance, it isn't safe for you to be left alone. Officers will surround the house, watch over you until something comes up. You will be followed through out the day, just until further notice. Do not make notice of them, it will blow the cover, they will not approach you unless you are in serious danger. They are here to protect you, that is it. Keep all doors & windows closed & locked. Don't let anyone in unless they okay it. They will check whomever comes in, understood?"

"Yes. What will I do until then?"

"I will be out side until the others show up. Here is my card, call me if you find anything else." Darwin handed me a small rectangular piece of paper; his name, Thomas Darwin, was written across it in golden letters. He was chief, impressive.

I watched as Darwin sat in his copper, radioing others to watch over me. I let my body weight collapse on the counter as I weighted; a buzzing sound rose in my pants. I took out my phone to see Grayon's name pop up.

"Hello?" I whispered.

"Juniper! Where are you? What happened to talking? Are you alright?"

"Yes, I am fine. I'm at my house, someone broke into my house again. I am dealing with the cops. I am being put under surveillance until further notice."

"I'm happy you are alright, what did they take this time?"

"Not sure, but I know things are missing; it feels empty. They trashed the place. I am just waiting for the cops to come to guard the house."

"Do you want me to come over? Are do you need your space?"

"Honestly, the last thing I want right now is to be left alone."

"Alright. Text me the address & I will be over as fast as I can." We hung up, & I sent him my location. I sighed, rubbing my temples. I went back to the window, seeing Darwin talk to others in the same suit, safe for now. He looked at me, smiling gently. I waved at him, smiling back.

After waiting a half hour of waiting, Grayson arrived. A well built cop stood next to him, his tan hand was wrapped around Grayon's arm.

"He's fine, he can come in." the cop nodded politely, letting go of him gracefully, he turned way from us & continued to guard the front of the house.

I returned to the kitchen, Grayson followed me. He ignored the mess on the floor, ignored everything that surrounded us & wrapped himself around me. His warm embrace had my heart pounding against my rib cage. "Thank goodness you are alright." He breathed, he tightened his grip around me.

"I can take care of myself," I whispered.

He chuckled, pulling away to look at me. His lips curved up into a beautiful crooked smile. "I know you can, but I'd rather do it for you." I smiled up at him, stroking his cheek bones with my finger tips. "You say the sweetest of things." I replied. He smiled again, the warmth returning in his blue eyes.

"Isn't that what you love about me?"

My smile dropped by a fraction, love.

His smile faded, "I didn't mean to sound too eager."

"No no, you are right. That is what I love about you, & so many other reasons, too."

His smile returned, brighter than the last. He leaned down into me, letting his smooth lips touch upon mine. My heart melted inside, not from fear, but from passion. I molded myself into him, letting everything that has put me over the edge disappear. I smiled against his lips, letting everything fall loose.