Punching in a Dream

Deux

The sun was shining through my windows, the pink & yellow stained sky was blinding. I'm far enough away now; I'm so close to being safe. I looked at the passing signs, I'm almost to Arizona. It's been a day in a half since I left Detroit, & my phone has been buzzing up a fit of missed calls & text messages. Most of them are from Daddy, I know he isn't worried about me, just worried that he lost the one thing that he had control of. Well, not anymore. The others are from Pieper & other friends. I read Pieper's. Her's are just a bunch of "where are you's" & "ANSWER ME'S". Nothing too much out of the blue. I know she must be worried about me; but right now, it's for the best that she doesn't know. I'm sure Daddy has already checked at her house; I just need one more day & then I'll tell her.

Death Cap for Cutie began to play on my ipod, I smiled at this. The rhythm of the song put me at ease, the gentle beats hitting my skin, the soothing words swimming in my mind. I'm okay.

DiNg!DiNg!DiNg!

Shit, low on gas.

I pulled over to the nearest gas station, forgetting how to stand. My knees wobbled & swung, I caught my balance on the yellow caution pole, begging my laughter to stay hidden. I felt many glares stuck to my bag, I took a deep breath; standing up slowly, brushing everything off. I pumped the gas & took out my phone. I looked at the NAVI system; only one more day's worth of driving. If this is what fresh air tastes like, I never want to let go of it; if this is what freedom feels like, I never want this tingling sensation to fade. I want to; no, need to feel this for the rest of my life. The loud nagging voice that was once my conscience has faded, I know longer hear about how I need to leave, because I've done so. I guess all I notice now is the patting on my back.

When I turned back around; a boy was leaning against my truck. "Can I help you?"

He looked up at me, his dark long curls hiding his icy blue eyes. "I just wanted to let you know I'm in love with your ride."

I blushed, "Thank you, I love it too." He smiled brighter at me, my heart started to accelerate. "I'm Juniper." I held out my hand, he walked over to me & shook it. His hands were soft & warm, it reminded me of Mum.

"I'm Grayson. Do you live around here?"

"No, just passing through. On my way to California. Why?"

"Just curious. But I have to get going, I'm doing my own road trip myself. It was a pleasure meeting you, Juniper, I hope to see you again." He walked away. I stood frozen; staring after the boy. I smiled gently to myself, how sweet of him. This day just keeps getting better & better. I pulled out the gas pump & got back in my truck, watching Grayson getting back in his car in my mirror. I blushed when his eyes locked with mine through the window. He waved to me, I waved back. My heart began to pound against my rib cage; he wanted to see me again.

The entire way through Arizona; I had a brilliant smile spread across from ear to ear. Despite the fact that Grayson is a complete stranger towards me; I can't get his face out of my mind. He put me in a purple haze, the smoke that blinds me made this road trip faster. City lights past by me in a blur, & before I knew it, I was in front of my new home. It's large white canvas was stunning in the night time sky; the windows were dark inside. Once I step in; I am 100% free. I parked in front of the garage, ran up the front steps, put the key in the lock, & opened the door. It's new house smell was an intoxication. I turned on the only light that was installed in the living room; & squealed. The wooden floors glistened in the light, the kitchen was clean, everything was ready for me. I ran back out to the truck several times, grabbing everything as fast as I could. I placed my lap top in my room of choice that had a view over the city; blew up the air mattress, put my room together, & locked my truck. I walked around the house, looking at every detail carefully. I memorized where the outlets were, where I will put all my dishes & food tomorrow; I had everything planned out. I went back into my room, looking through the job interviews that I had tomorrow. I have five. I at least want two to three jobs to start out with, so triple the pay, & I will be set. One job is Blick, the art store, then the other is an art museum, I will be working as a host if I get the gig, & the other one is at a venue for under ground bands. I'm the murch instructor if I get it. I smiled at all the possibilities of jobs & such, everything suits me. The art industry; the music business. This is going to be a good life, I can just tell. I smiled brightly at my new future, I know I will hit bumps down the road, but at least I am finally in control of myself. No more drama, no more bruises between my legs, no more negativity that's going to bring me to my fate.

I set my alarm clock to 5:30 a.m, preparing myself for what lies in front of me. I can do this. I can be better than him, I can move on. At that moment, Pieper crossed my mind. Her dark voice full of life & positiveness, For a pessimist, she's pretty optimistic. I guess that's one of the things I adore about her, her dark, twisted sense of humor is nothing but positiveness, as much as that is an oxymoron, it's the truth. I just wish my sharp tongue matched up with her, she's not as nearly as brutally honest as I am. I guess that's why I envy her. She never ran away from her problems.