Punching in a Dream

Trois

One of the things that I hate about waking up; is waking up to the irritating sound of an alarm. My darkened room was comforting, persuading me to go back to bed. It almost worked if the thought of my job interviews crossing my mind; instead of sleeping in, I got up quickly, shutting off the alarm, & turned on the light. I stretched in my white tank top & light pink booty shorts. I walked into my bathroom & looked myself in the mirror; I was a mess. I turned on the shower to a boiling temperature, preparing myself for it's burning touch. I stripped down quickly, letting my long bleach blonde hair loose; & stepped in. It's heat wasn't what I expected, instead of an uncomfortable burn, it was a nice, soothing Jacuzzi feel. I closed my eyes as the water kissed down my flushed face; I scrubbed twice, washing away the past as hard as I could.

When I got out; I was red from the heat, the mirror was covered in delightful steam. I opened the bathroom door to see my new room, lit & still somewhat empty. I promised myself that the weekend would be my time to decorate. I got into a fresh pair of underwear, & a new bra. I went back into the bathroom, drying my hair; flat ironing it, putting it up in a red bandanna; then began my makeup. I gave myself those pretty wings that complement your eyes, put heavy mascara on; red lipstick, a red & black flannel with a Devil Wears Prada tube top; ripped up skinny jeans, & my TOMS. I looked myself over in the mirror, almost forgetting to put in my white gauges. I was ready. I grabbed my small little vintage bag & ran out the door, locking everything up, & started the car. The sun was bright, despite the beautiful gray clouds in the horizon, it was a lovely day to be alive.

My first interview was with Blick, the art store. I parked in the front & walked in slowly, trying to take everything in. Unknown artists' art work on the walls, isles of canvases; pencils, paints, & papers. It was my dream studio. A man walked in front of me inturrupting my day dreaming, he was tall & muscular. He had double zero blue gauges, a black shirt & black jeans & vans on.

"You must be Juniper; you look just like your pictures. I'm Gabe; it's a pleasure to meet you." He held out his hand with a slight crooked smile; when I grabbed his hand, it's feel reminded me of that boy I met in Arizona; Grayson.

"It's nice to meet you too."

"So; let's head on to the back room where we can discuss your work hours."

"You mean I already got the job?"

"Well, we don't have a lot of employees here, it would be a big help & delight to have you here. But if you'd like to evaluate first, I am understanding." He began to lead me up the stairs to where the back room was. It was cluttered, but organized. "So, how old are you?"

"I'm 25 years old."

"Okay, & why would you like to work here?"

"Well, I love the art world, & I just moved here from Detroit. It seemed like a good place to start."

"When you say you love the art world?"

"I mean I do art myself. I sketch & paint. I hope to begin selling again here."

"That's great to here, I know this is off topic; but why did you move here?"

"I have issues with my Father; & I just decided a couple days ago, enough is enough. So while he was at work, I packed up, & left."

"Brutal.....did you have any sense of direction?"

"A few weeks ago; I had somewhat planned it by house hunting online in places, & the one place that seemed to have me weak at the knees was San Diego; & the house I bought is beautiful."

"Huh, well welcome, to the place where douche bags roam the earth. But don't worry, there are the few that are decent."

"Does that include you?"

"I sure hope it does. I don't want to be known as a douche."

"Well, so far you're not." I smiled at him. He smiled back. "Well, any ways, what days are good for you?"

I thought for a moment, "Well, today I have 4 other interviews, so I'm not sure what I'd be working for them. But I'll accept the job here. I can work 3 days a week here, I could come in at 9 & leave at 9?"

"That'll work. You're making this a lot easier than I thought it would be," he chuckled while writing down everything. "Closing time is 10, I work Monday through Friday here, so for your last hour of work you'll be stuck with me."

"I can live with that."

After the interview & figuring out my hours & pay; he showed me how to work things, how to submit the sales into the cashier for the correct pricing; & showed me how to restock. After I left, I realized his number was written at the top of my work sheet. I blushed; how sweet.

After Blick, I went over to the heart of down town San Diego; going into the art studio museum. I was greeted by a short girl with dark brown, silky hair. Her brown eyes locked with mine; "Hello, Juniper. I'm Holly."

"It's good to meet you, Holly."

"Let us go into the dining room where we can discuss everything." Holly lead me back through a cement wall where a nice wooden table lay; with funky looking chairs & a single lamp. She sat down at the farthest end, patting the seat next to her. I sat down, anxious.

"How old are you, June?"

"It's Juniper, & I'm 25."

"Juniper, what makes you want to work here?"

"I just moved from Detroit; it's a new start, & I'm love with the art world. I paint & sketch portraits & such. I thought this would be a good start. I am also working at Blick as of today, so I need all the help I can get."

"Hmm; what kind of art do you do?"

"Photo realism & baroque."

"Really? I do a little realism myself, but I find the human figure very predictable, I focus more on landscapes."

"That's lovely. Is any of your work up on the walls?"

"I'm not a legend, so no."

"I didn't know any of these artists were known."

"Why do you say?"

"Because this place is called Unknown Uncovered."

Holly went silent, her blank expression made me uneasy. "Well, Juniper, I am sure that you would do fine here. What days are good for you?" I can work 2 days a week here. I have another job, & another interview after this."

"What days would that be?"

"Thursday & Friday. I can work from 7 to 6."

"I'm sure we can work that out. Is there anything else you should tell me?"

"Is there anything else you need to know?"

"No..."

"Then I best be off. I am late for my interview."

I ran off out the door & started my truck. I got to the venue, realized it was down the street from Blick. Lucky me. I ran into the front doors, breathless. I whipped my bangs out of my place, standing there. A boy looked up at me. The darkened room made it hard to tell who it was. When he got closer, my heart stopped.

"Juniper, what are you doing here?" His face lit up with a smile, I almost fainted.

"I have an interview for a job."

"Well, I own the place. So consider yourself accepted."

I smiled in relief. "Thank you!"

"I take it you have other jobs too, huh?"

"How did you know?"

"I saw you running around down town today, first from Blick where Gabe works, & then to the art museum. Now you're here. What days are you already using?"

"Monday through Friday."

"Luckily for you, the venue is only open from 6 to midnight. So Friday nights, yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Somehow I knew I'd see you again. Mostly because you mentioned California at the gas station."

"Why didn't you say anything?"

"I didn't want to sound like a creep."

"Well, you're already a creep for knowing my entire day."

He chuckled, "Ouch, but I'm not denying it."

I giggled; blushing a bright red. "Care to show me around?"

"There isn't much to show, except that through the door on your right is the way to the stage; & the other is the back room, where basically murch is kept, & breaks are taken."

"Is there anyone playing tonight?"

"It's Sunday. So no." He laughed, crossing his arms. "So, what are you doing tomorrow?"

"Well, my first day of working at Blick starts tomorrow," I bit my lip, wondering where this would be going.

"Would you like to get lunch during your break? A brilliant Italian restaurant is right across the street."

"I'd like that, a lot." I smiled, biting my tongue.

"Cool, I'll see you tomorrow. It was nice seeing you, Juniper." He wrapped his arms around me, hugging me. I melted in his arms, his brilliant scent put me back in that purple haze. At that moment, Pieper crossed my mind. Guilt covered over the lovely flesh that melted off of me from his gentle touch. I guess this new start is putting a huge delay on my relationship with the only person that knew me at all.