Punching in a Dream

Quatre

I awoke again to the irritation of an alarm clock. But that wasn't the only thing that I awoke to. I was getting a call from Pieper. I guess it's time to tell her.

"Hello?" My voice was soft, letting her know I was asleep.

"Juniper! Where are you? Your dad is going ape shit!"

Fucking perfect. Well, what did I expect? "I know. & I moved. I left Detroit a few days ago."

"Did you care to tell me?"

"I knew Daddy would come to you for the first search, I knew you'd crack under pressure, & so would your family. I couldn't risk it."

Pieper went silent. I continued. "I was planning on calling you after work-"

"Jesus fucking christ, you already have a job?"

"I actually have three. I bought a beautiful home & happy so far with my new life."

"It's only been three days."

"It's been four."

"Whatever, why not come home?"

"You know why I can't do that. I couldn't deal with it. No offense, but living with you wouldn't be far enough to make me feel safe. Plus, I'm 25, I think I have a right to choose where I live."

"I know....but where are you?"

"Has Daddy already searched for me there?"

"Yes."

"I'm in California."

"Uhm. Come again?"

"I'm in San Diego California. It's far, beautiful, & he'll never find me here."

"How long do you plan on living there?"

"I'm never coming back, Pieper."

She sniffled. "Just like that, huh?"

"I'm sorry, Pieper. It was a selfish act, but I couldn't put up with it anymore. I couldn't call the cops, because he is one. He's the head of the police station for crying out loud!"

"What if I came out to see you?"

"That'd be great; but do you really think it's a good idea right now?"

"What do you mean?"

I sighed. "One person is missing, & if her best friend goes missing too; don't you think they'd get suspicious?"

"I guess you're right. But you're all I've got."

"I know, I know. I'm sorry. Just give it some time. Okay?"

"Fine. So, how is it up there?"

"Bipolar weather just like Detroit; I met a boy on the way here. & it turns out he is my new boss."

"What the fuck? How rare is that. What's his name? Is he adorable?"

"His name is Grayson, & he is just my type."

"Are you gonna bone?"

"Ha! Unlike you, I actually want a relationship taken seriously."

"That was just one time.....Well anyways, I'm happy for you; Juniper. I can't wait to see you. I'll wait until the end of the month & that's it. By the way, I got a new puppy. It's an English bull dog; his name is Simon."

"AWH! You should bring him up here when you come."

"Oh you know I will. He is so adorable."

"So how's it going with you?"

"Not so great, your dad checks in all the time, out of the four days, it really looks like he actually cared about you."

"That's just what he wants you to think."

"Trust me, I know. Don't worry. But I'll let you go, I have laundry to do, & you need to prepare the place for my arrival."

I smiled & hung up the phone, smiling brightly at her enthusiasm. I wonder what Daddy has done as a search layout. I really really really hope he hasn't put up signs, or called a nation wide search. Other wise I'd be caught red handed, & then have my life handed to me.

I quickly got dressed in a black & white flannel, a Pierce the Veil band t-shirt; black shorts & a pair of chucks. I put up my hair in a teased pony tale, my red bandanna & red lipstick. I put in my red gauges & went out to my truck. I drove down the steep road to the main road that leads right to Blick in Little Italy. I arrived fashionably early & walked in with my bag & keys.

Gabe was at the counter looking through new business cards; he looked up at me & smiled. His blue gauges were now black; he was in a black & blue tank top, cut offs, & TOMS. He looked pretty good, I will admit.

"Good morning, Miss Kirsten. Today, you will just be restocking & being a host."

"Sounds easy enough, thank you, Gabe."

"So, I hear you're going to lunch with Grayson today."

"Did he tell you?"

"No, you did, just now."

I smiled & rolled my eyes. "Yes, I am. Why?"

"Nothing, it's just odd for him to be like this. He doesn't really notice anyone other than me & his friend Landon."

"When was the last time he had a girlfriend?"

"About a year ago. But that is a different line to get over. He is very fragile, I guess you could say. It takes a lot to get passed that protective shield around his heart."

"Why's that?"

"When you love someone; you never try to hurt them. His ex-girlfriend did just the opposite. Since then, the kid has never been the same. Major trust issues. Maybe you've changed him. You seem pretty decent in that field, & have gone through your own battles. I think that is just what he needs, someone who knows what it's like to go to hell & back."