Punching in a Dream

Cinq

Lunch finally came around; I held my breath as the minutes past by; as I waited for Grayson to walk through the front doors of Blick. Gabe patted my back, "he'll be here, Juniper. Grayson wouldn't stand you up like that."

"How do you know that?"

"I'm his best friend, 'member?"

"Yeah, I remember."

At that moment, a beautiful, pale boy came through the doors. His beautiful blue eyes locked with mine; he smiled at me. He walked towards us; that smile only growing as he got closer. "Hey Juniper; hey Gabe. You ready?" His musical voice captivated me; putting me in the state of mind where I can only stare at his luscious lips.

"Yes, I'm ready. I'll be back soon, Gabe."

"No rush," he smiled & winked. Oh boy, this day should be interesting. Grayson guided me towards the front door as I slipped out of my apron, putting it on the hook as we slipped away into the sunlight. "You like Italian, right?"

"Who doesn't?"

"Gabe doesn't."

My jaw dropped, "& to think Gabe was little Mr. Perfect....how can you not love Italian?"

"I don't know how you can't crave the taste of pasta; or real pizza, but he sure knows how to hide his deep desire well." Grayson nudged me & chuckled. I giggled, blushing underneath the surface of my pale cheeks.

"So, tell me, Juniper; why did you move to California?"

I took a deep breath. "It's kinda a long story, actually."

"We have time over lunch, & all the time after that."

"You mean, you'd like to see me again after this?"

"Why wouldn't I? I find you quite lovely so far; is there any reason to not to?"

"Well besides the fact that I ran away from home, my sociopathic father is probably planning on tracking me down soon; I'm quite insane once you scratch off my surface. I guess it's just a fair warning since you want to see me again."

"Ha! Runaways; that's a good one."

"Ha-ha, I'm being serious...."

He looked at me; his eyes confused & curious. "Really? Why?"

"Like you said; we have lunch to talk about it."

Grayson went quiet, but what he did do, was wrap his arm around me & chuckle. "What's so funny?" I asked, determined to be taken seriously. "Nothing, you just seem to surprise me more & more."

"Is that a bad thing?"

"No, it's actually quite good; in a sense."

"Good."

We entered darkened Italian restaruant slowly, his fingers laced with mine. Inside of my delicate chest, a heart on steroids lies. The old place was stalked with old fashioned candies & foods; it was beautiful. It made me feel we were really in Italy. Grayson held me close to him, not letting a single pair of eyes attach to me for too long. It was cute, I loved it.

The waitress guided us to a booth in the back; where candles were lit. I looked around the room; it was on everyone's table. Nothing too romantic I guess. Grayson guided me so I can slip in first, across from him. Before I told him my life story of the past few days; we ordered the pizza & ranch salad.

"Now that we are alone & focused, tell me. Why did you run away?"

I looked down at the red & white checkered table cloth, then up to him. His eyes were intense, ready for all the dirty secrets I have hidden. "Well, my father was very abusive. My Mum died of cancer when I was younger; but the abuse didn't start then. It started before that. I don't think my mum died of natural causes of cancer; I think Daddy did something."

"What do you mean; you think he killed her?"

"Yes, I do. I don't care if that is harsh on him; he is a sick twisted fuck."

"Why? What did he do to you?"

"Many things. First it was yelling & hair pulling, then it was hitting, then it was rape."

Grayson went quite. His eyes opened wider by a fraction. He didn't seem surprised. "How long did the rape continue?"

"About 3 to 4 years. It stopped when I was about 16. But the hitting didn't stop until the day I left. The morning I woke up on the day I left, he had chucked his metal coffee mug at me."

"Did it hit you?"

"Yes, but on my back. Nothing too serious."

"Did you tell anyone?"

"Only you & my best friend."

"Why not the police?"

"He's the chief of police. No help there. All of them are just like them. Twisted, sick, mother fuckers. All of them skin heads; all of them with disgusting secret lives."

"Where did you live before you came here?"

"On the out skirts of Detroit."

"Where is Pieper now?"

"She's still in Detroit. I told her this morning where I am."

"You mean; she didn't know?"

"No one did. It was kinda last minute. The week before I had bought the house I live in down here. I kept it a secret from her because I knew that Daddy would go to her first; I knew she would tell him because of pressure; I knew he'd hurt her. I couldn't risk both of us getting caught, so I held my tongue."

"Has your 'Daddy' tried to contact you?"

"He calls almost every four hours. I'm scared to death that he will set up a nation wide search."

"What if you told the police here what happened if that does happen?"

"There'd be no proof."

"You're 25; you are an adult. He can't hold on to you forever. You are a legal residence here now."

"I guess. I do feel a lot safer since I got here. But I'm not going to let my gaurd down yet."

"Will you let it down with me?"

I blushed bright red. "Will you let YOUR'S down with ME?"

"I have already." He smiled up at me, the candle light caressing his broad cheek bones. Oh god marry me.

After lunch he walked me back to Blick, his hand tanlged with mine again. When we got to the front door he turned towards me. "I hope to see you tomorrow again for lunch."

"Are you asking me out again?"

"Is it that obvious?"

"To me it is; & I'd love to."

He leaned down to me, gently pecking my lips. I stood there frozen as he walked away. I touched my lips with the tip of my finger tips. Oh. My. God.