Sequel: Hurts Like Heaven
Status: Complete.

Bliss and Bloodlust

Chapter Eleven.

“I've got nothing to say to you.” I finally said to her.

“Please, Tourie.” she pleaded, “Please. Just hear me out.”

I thought about that and knew I wanted, despite a part of me screaming no, to hear what she had to say. And because I didn't want aunt Bren to hear me I stepped out onto the porch.

It was chilly out but there was no way I was going to invite her in. She sat down on the stairs indicating I should do the same. I stayed right where I was, standing by the door.

So she stood back up and said, “First off let me apologize.”

“For what first? Stealing my boyfriend, plotting to kill me, lying to me about it. Or that I lived?”

She was taken back by this. “Look. I didn't steal Jayson, I-”

“That should be the least of your worries right now.” I said shortly.

“Things got out of hand. It was his idea to begin with.”

“And you didn't think to stop him?” I asked angrily.

“I didn't think he'd actually do it, Okay.” She raised her voice. “I'm sorry I didn't stop him, I'm sorry I lied about it. But what was I supposed to do? I thought you were dead.”

I glowered at her. “Is that supposed to make me feel better?”

“I don't know. I just need you to know my side of things.”

“I'm listening. Make it quick.”

She stood facing me, standing a little far back. Maybe she thought I'd hit her, the thought had crossed my mind several times now. “A few months back Jay and I were hanging out.”

She had called him Jay. She had never called him Jay before.

“He was over helping my dad fix his Corvette, you know the red one. Anyway, we were in the basement watching some movie, Kick Ass I think it was. Well we were sitting there and he leaned over to kiss me. He said he'd been wanting to do that for a long time. I asked him what he thought he was doing and he said he was fulfilling his hearts desire. I asked him to leave then and he did.”

I interrupted. “You didn't think to tell me any of this?”

“Yes, but I didn't want you mad at me. It wasn't my fault.” I rolled my eyes at that. “Really.”

“Well your plan not to piss me off worked out perfectly.” I said, every word dipping with sarcasm.

“Can I just finish. I need to get this off my chest.” I let out a deep breath and gesture for her to continue. I leaned back against the wall. She took deep breath of her own and released it.

“Well, it was a few weeks later and he offered to drive me home from work. That was when my car was down. Anyway, I said yes, it was cold and I didn't have any other way. So I had worked a double and it was late when I got off. Jayson asked me if I had told you, I said no and he said that was good. Just so you know he had always flirted with me.

“Anyway,” she went on when I gave her a nasty look. “he stared flirting again and I can't say I stopped him. I flirted back innocently, thinking nothing of it. So for the next two weeks he took me home.”

I remember that time. He had kept saying he was busy plus we had been argued then too and weren't really communicating well. Now it all was adding up.

“He'd come in and hang out” she continued, “and one thing lead to another and we kissed again. I felt so bad but I began to have feeling for him. And I couldn't resist him. You know how charming he can be. I felt guilty but it didn't stop me.” She paused her eyes downcast.

“So when did 'Operation: Let's Kill Tourie' begin?” I asked.

“He said that you wouldn't let him go, that you were clingy and he wanted to be free of you for a long time.”

“And you believed him?”

She threw her arms up in the air. “I was blinded by love.”

“Really? Love? You mean lust, right?” She ignored me and continued talking.

“We were watching Dateline or 20/20 or something and there was a story of a guy who killed his girlfriend and got a way with it because they couldn't prove it beyond reasonable doubt. He turned to me and said “We should just kill her and we can be together without her around,” I told him that was insane, that you were my friend. He said he was only kidding and we dropped the subject until about three weeks ago.” She was pacing now.

“He came to me and said he had a plan to get you alone and kill you." she went on. "He was betting on some animal dragging your remains away. He said this was our one and only chance at happiness so I agreed not to tell anyone. I don't know what day it was going to happen but he came by after midnight last week and said the deed was done.”

I was speechless. I had a pain growing in my chest. After a minute or so I spoke.

“So you were willing to be an accomplice to murder so you could have your one and only chance at happiness? Geez Steph, how dumb could you be? And now you want me to say “Yes Steph, I forgive you for wanting to kill me so you could continue fucking my boyfriend,” Well tough shit, cause I'm not so forgiving. How long do you think this gonna last? He just wanted someone to fuck and you gave right in. You're right, love has blinded you.” I turned to go back in the house but Steph wasn't done.

“Tourie were in love, he loves me truly. It's not just about the sex, we're going to stay together.”

“He loved me too, you know, and look what that got me.”

“He didn't ever love you, he told me so. He said-”

“Do you even hear yourself?” I cut her off. “He's a slimy bastard, I found that out too late. He would say anything to justify his actions.” I said stepping closer to her with every word until I was inches from her. ”You know what do whatever you want Steph, it's your life. But when you are staring down the barrel of a gun, don't say I didn't warn you.”

I turned on my heels and slamming the door in her face.

“Everything alright?” Aunt Bren asked. She was standing at the bottom of the stairs, ready for her date.

“Yes.” I answered shakily. My eyesight was getting watery and my face felt hot. And my heart hurt.

“Was that Stephanie?” I nodded. “What did she say?”

“A whole lot of nothing.” I heard Stephanie's car driving away. “You look good.” I gave her a tiny smile. It hurt to smile, though.

“Thanks. Are you sure you're okay?” I nodded again. “So are you still going out?” I had told her about my plans with Daniel.

I shrugged. “Dunno.” I wasn't in the mood now. I'd call Daniel and let him know.

“Don't let it get you down, Ve-Ve. They're not worth it.” she stepped closer and gave me a hug. “I know this is hard, and it's only been a week, but you really should get out tonight. Go get dressed in you're best clothes, dance with that hot blonde, and have some fun. Forget about the drama if only for tonight.”

I smiled at her. Just then we heard Phil pulling up.

Phil was thirty four, a former football player who had a bulky build, broad shoulders and was about six foot one. His tanned skin was offset by his beach blonde hair. Yup, he was a bit of a dream... not that I noticed. And on top of that he was a sweetheart.

He gave my aunt a kiss and drank in her look. “Hey Tourie.” he said after he noticed me standing there. “Hey Phil.”

“You good?” he asked me.

“Yeah. Go, you don't want to miss your reservations.” I said, half shoving them out the door.

“Have fun.”

After I promised Bren I would try to get out tonight, they waved me goodbye and left.

I went to my room and held the rose Daniel had left me as I lied in my bed. It was growing dark outside and my mind was racing a mile a minute. I kept replaying the scene with Stephanie over and over again. How could she try and justify her actions to me and think I, of all people, would understand?

I lied there so long that when the door bell rung it startled me and I was surprise to find it was nine. Daniel was at the door, dressed rather nicely, a bouquet of flowers in his hand. When he saw me, not dressed to go out he said, “Standing me up I see.”

“Sorry. I meant to call you.”

“If you didn't want to go you could have just told me.”

“I did, but... Come in.” He stepped in and handed me the flowers and followed me into the kitchen. “You didn't have to get me these.” I informed him.

“I wanted to. What's going on?”

I got a vase and placed the water inside before I put the flowers inside and set it on the table. “Would you mind if we stayed in?” I asked, my voice small. I couldn't met his eye.

Daniel came closer to me. “What happened, Tourie.”

“Nothing.” I whispered. Daniel was persistent and eventually I told him about Stephanie's visit. Going over the details made me feel even worse than earlier. I swallowed the lump in my throat. No more crying. “I don't know what to do.” I muttered.

“Staying here won't help.” he took my hand and led me to my room. “We're going out.” he said.

“I don't have anything to wear.” He looked at me like he didn't believe me. “Seriously. I don't own going out clothes.”

“Well how about dinner then?”

“Like a date?”

He made a face. “Nothing fancy, jeans will suffice.” he said ignoring my question. “I'll wait downstairs.” Then he left.

I sighed and went to my closet. Had I actually agreed to going?

I stood there for a minute or two, not knowing what to wear, and feeling a bit depressed. I wiped the tears form my eyes and at ten I came downstairs, dressed in a thin tank top, dark skinny jeans, pumps. I straightened my hair and wore it down. My makeup was darker than usual. Daniel gave me a more than appreciative look and smiled.

“You look great. Ready?” he asked. I noticed we were the same height now with my heels on.

“Yeah.” He took my hand and we left out the door.

“Is red your favourite colour?” I asked as we drove in his red car, I was beginning to recognize a pattern. “or does it have to do with... you know?”

He chuckled. “Yeah, it's my favourite colour. Nothing to do with the blood. Or maybe my subconscious made it my favourite for that reason.”

“Where are we going?” I asked a few moments later, feeling both nervous and excited.

“Somewhere simple.” he answered.

“Please don't tell me it's Micky D's.”

“Not that simple.” he laughed. “No just this place I like.” he didn't say more.

Why was I trusting this man, I asked myself, he could be a killer. And he was a vampire, meaning he probably was a killer. Why didn't that scare me more? I couldn't explain it.

We drove for another ten minutes before we pulled up at a bar and grill called Angus'.

Daniel took my hand and we went in. The place had low lighting and was packed. Rock music blared from the back of the place, where there was pool and other games and a small dance floor. We were seated not too far from the bar and got our menus.

“You like it here?” I asked as I looked around more. Everyone was dressed rather casually and some of the customers looked rather tough, biker types. “These people aren't.... like you, are they.”

He chuckled and said, “I like it here, and a some may be like me, as you put it.” I swallowed hard. “Relax. Here comes our server.” Our server was a beautiful blond who knew Daniel by name. “Hey Josie.” he said with a small smile. I felt a pang of jealousy flare up.

“Hey Daniel. The usual?” Josie asked, not taking her eyes off of his face.

“Yes, please. Tourie, what would you like?”

“Uh.” I said stupidly, “A double bacon burger with cheddar and a side of fries.” It came out more like a question.

“Great choice,” Josie said brightly, finally acknowledging me. “It's my favourite. Drinks?”

“A loggers with lime.” Daniel said, looking at me.

“A long island iced tea and a water.” Then off Josie went. “She's pretty.” I said absently.

“Yes she is.” Daniel said, amusement on his face. “You're pretty too. But of course you don't believe that.”

I didn't respond. Why was I worried about that waitress? He isn't after her, he was here with you, get a grip, idiot. Josie returned with our drink and once she was gone I asked, “What's your usual?”

“Prime rib.”

“Hmm, very manly.”

“Yes, I suppose it is.”

“So who are the vampires?” I asked in a whisper.

“Hey.” Daniel said, putting his hands up. “I'm not outing anyone.”

I took a sip of my water. “Where were we going to do at that vampire place?” I asked, curious.

“The usual. Drinking, dancing, that sort of thing.”

I raised an eyebrow. “You dance?”

“Don't look so surprised. I'm an excellent dancer.”

“Well I'm a crappy dancer.”

“I bet you dance great.” I gave him a, are you kidding me, look.

"You said drinking. You mean-"

"Tourie, I'm not talking about blood."

"Sorry." he smiled and shook his head a little.

After our food arrive and I got up the nerve to ask Daniel something I had been thinking about. “What do you do, Daniel? I mean, for work?”

“I'm a business man.” he answered after he took a bite of his medium rare meal.

I frowned. “Meaning?”

“I have my hand in a few pots.”

“Like?” Why was he being vague?

“I own a few places.”

“Really?” That would explain his renovations at his place. Or it could be a lie. He's a vampire. Who knows where he got his money.

“Mm-hm.” he took another bite. “Eat, darling. Enjoy.”

I bit into my burger and we grew quiet for a few long moments. The place was noisier than when we first came in, but I didn't take too much notice of it.

“How often do you come here?” I asked.

“Twice a week,at least. I know a lot of the folks here.”

“Do you have a lot of friends?”

“Depends on how you define friendship. Tell me about yourself Tourie.”

My least favourite subject.

“What do you want to know?” I said nervously.

“Everything.”

“Why are you interested in me, when you could have someone like Josie?”

“Josie?” his face twisted up, “I don't want her. I want you. Now tell me something about you, anything.”

“I like this burger.” I said then took another bite.

“That's not what I meant. Why aren't you in college?”

That I was not expecting. “What?”

“You work at a hotel, cleaning up.”

“And?”

“You're twenty. You could be bettering yourself.”

I got angry. “Are you judging me?”

“No.” he said simply. “I just want to have a better understanding.”

“This is a small city.” Kingstown, Ohio wasn't a a big place. “Most people don't usual make it out, or become anything worth while. I can't afford it, first off, and I'm not all that bright, or clever and even if I was I wouldn't even know what to study.”

“Don't put yourself down. What do you want to do?”

I shrugged and answered dryly, “No clue.”

“I didn't mean to offend you.”

I couldn't look at him after that. We finished our meal silently. I know I shouldn't have gotten so offended but most people don't ask thing like that. Well, besides my parents who had both went off to college. I declined desert and more silence followed.

“Do you like music?” Daniel asked suddenly.

“Yes. Why?”

“Just curious.” he paused then added, “I didn't mean to fuck up our night.”

I sighed heavily. “It's fine. I shouldn't have gotten mad.”

“I shouldn't have pried.”

Just then Josie was back with the check. I almost reached out to grab it but Daniel was faster.

“How much is it?” I asked.

“None of your business. I asked you out.” Daniel said, pulling out his wallet. I couldn't see how large the bill was.

“Can I at least leave the tip?”

“No. Tourie let me take care of you. ”

I didn't like that. “I'm not too comfortable with that.”

“Get used to it.” he said looking me dead in the eye.

“You've done so much for me already.” I murmured.

“Daniel.” a deep male voice called out before Daniel could respond.

“Matthew.” Daniel said turning towards the big Hispanic man who came over to our table. He was good looking, but wore entirely much leather for my liking. The woman on his arm, also in leather, gave me the stink eye but smiled happily at Daniel. Daniel stood and the two men embraced like old friends. “It's been too long.”

“Yeah. You remember Natasha?” Matthew said.

“Yes, I do.” he smiled at her then turned back to his friend. “Matt this is Tourie... my girl.” he said gesturing to me

My eyes grew wide.

His girl?

Matt smile sweetly at me. “Nice to meet you.” I whispered but remained seated.

Matthew said hello to me, then said to Daniel, “Bout time you found yourself a girl.” hitting him on the arm playfully and giving him an approving look when Natasha looked at me. So Daniel didn't have many girlfriends by the sound of it.

“Yeah.” Daniel ran his fingers through his hair, almost nervously. “How have you two been?”

“Amazing.” Natasha said, holding up her hand to show the ring on her finger.

“Congratulations.” Dan said happily.

The three of then continued talking and I felt awkward. I was thinking, well, daydreaming when Dan touched my shoulder. “Ready to go?” I nodded and stood.

Matt and Natasha had walked away. The clock read that it was after nearly one. Daniel slipped his arm around my waist as we walked through the dark parking lot to the car.

“Your girl, huh?” I whispered.

“Mm-hm.”

“You could have just said date.”

“Now that wouldn't have been fun. I liked the look that sprouted on your face when I said.” He chuckled, “Priceless.”