Sequel: Hurts Like Heaven
Status: Complete.

Bliss and Bloodlust

Chapter Thirteen.

“What?” I stared at Aaron. How did he know?

“I beg your pardon?” Daniel said politely.

Cassie's eyes were darting between both of their faces. I only stared at Aaron. His face was still hard.

“You heard me.” he said finally.

“And what would make you say that?” asked Daniel calmly.

“Call it a feeling.” Aaron said, but I knew he was lying. What was he trying to hide?

“Well your feelings have deceived you.”

They continued their glowering.

“Guys, chill.” Cassie said. She put a hand tenderly on Aaron's chest and he softened a bit. He glanced over at me. “Okay. Aaron, that's some heavy shit to accuse him of.” she said seriously. “Care to explain?”

“Yeah, we're all ears.” I added.

Aaron scowled at me. “Look, it just makes sense.” he explained, “You find out Jay was cheating on you. You two breakup and a few days later he's black and blue. Maybe you wanted revenge.” There was something he wasn't saying.

“Does that sound like me Aaron?” I asked, “You know me.” I suppose I was still trying to lie to myself, because his accusations were right.

“No.” he sighed. “But it doesn't mean that he didn't do it on you behalf.”

Daniel didn't get angry or yell, he calmly said, “Well, you have as much reason to do it as me. Don't you think?”

Aaron was speechless. I could see the wheels turning in his head as he tried to find a good reply. He had none. “You're awfully calm.” he said to Daniel.

“Well I have no reason not to be.” was all he said in response.

And their glowering began again. Oh boy.

“You know your best friend Jayson was just here a while ago,” Daniel said breaking the silence. “And I believe his intention was to harm Tourie.”

“Yeah, we know. I'm gonna have a talk to him.” Aaron said, whipping out his phone.

“That won't be necessary.” Daniel said calmly.

“Oh? And why is that?” Aaron asked, annoyed, putting his phone down.

“Because that will only make things worse for Tourie.” he said in a reasonable voice.

“How do you figure that?”

“Because he's a psychopath.”

No lie there.

But Aaron looked pissed. Cassie only shook her head slowly.

“Look, Darren.”

“Daniel.” he corrected.

“Whatever. Jayson's my friend, I can talk to him, see what the hell's going on for myself.”

“Do you really think it'll make much of a difference?” Daniel asked.

“Hell yeah I do.” Aaron raised his voice, “Look, dude I don't know who you are or how long you and T. have been friends. But let us handle this, alright.”

“No.”

“No?” Aaron frowned, “No?” he was now standing in front of Daniel towering over him. “You don't really get a say in this, so back off. ”

“Guys.” I said. I could feel their anger rising. And I wasn't sure what Daniel might do. This was not good.

Daniel stood up then and he and Aaron were face to face. Aaron might have been slightly taller but Daniel was more menacing. “Doesn't matter how long I've known her, all that matters is I'm here, Aaron. And I plan on making sure no one causes her harm. Got it?”

Aaron scoffed. “What are you her bodyguard?”

Daniel's face was full of mischief. “Oh, yes. I intend on guarding her body... at all cost.” a seductive smile spreading across his face. “Isn't that right, darling?”

Aaron's fist came up but never made contact with Daniel face. Daniel's reflexes faster that Aaron could have imagined. He had caught Aaron's fist in his own and pushed him back onto the couch.

I got up and quickly put myself between them as Aaron rose to try and strike again. It had all happened so fast. “Stop it now!” I yelled. I had my palm resting on both their chest. Aaron was breathing hard, rubbing his fist with anger in his eyes.

“This is going well.” Cassie said from the couch. She hadn't bothered getting up.

“Not helping.” I snarled. “There is too much testosterone in this room, calm down. Both of you.” I looked at both their faces. Daniel's was surprisingly calm, he winked when I turned his way. But Aaron was still very pissed off. He sat back down though, pushing his dark hair off his forehead. “Aaron I appreciate what you're trying to do. But Daniel's right, talking to Jayson will only make matters worse. Not only for me but for you too. You guys already got into it with him last night.”

“So you're siding with him?” He gestured towards Daniel.

“There are no sides.” God, he was acting like a child. “Look, just let me handle this okay. That goes for all of you.”

“Are you fucking him?” Aaron asked suddenly. Daniel nearly hit him before I blocked his way.

“You know that's the same question Jayson asked me in regards to you.” I told Aaron. “I'm tired of people asking me that. And no I'm not fucking anyone, thank you very much. Not that it's any of your business if I was.” I was pissed off now.

“Apologize to her.” Daniel said his arms folded over his chest, staring daggers at Aaron.

“That was out of line, I apologize.” Aaron said sincerely.

I took in a deep breath to settle myself. Aaron looked slightly less pissed. Cassie looked worried. Daniel looked calm. I started pacing the floor, they all turned their eyes to me. “You two are giving me a headache.” I rubbed my temples.

Daniel came over to me and rubbed my shoulders trying to relax me, “Sorry, sweetheart.” Sweetheart? That was new. His phone must have rung because he took it out and answered. “I've got to take this.” He said to me then left the room.

“Friends, my ass.” Aaron said under his breath once he was gone.

“What? What was that?” I asked him, my voice rising in anger. “What's up with you Aaron? You've had an attitude since he came through the door.”

“Don't mind him he's on his period or something.” Cassie said before he could answer, her voice a little tight.

Aaron shot her a look. “Look, Tourie I'm sorry, I'm just....” he didn't finish but quickly looked at Cassie then turned away. “It's been a long day.”

“Okay.” I said in a whisper. Something was going on with the two of them but I couldn't spare the energy to dwell on it too long.

“So when exactly were you planning on introducing us to him?”

“I've had a lot on my mind. Sorry.”

“I guess that's where you were last night. With him.”

“And if I was?”

Aaron then said, his voice still sounding annoyed, “You two sure looked cozy with one another.”

“Geez Aaron. Are you just pissed because I'm not weeping over Jayson? He's a dick, I'm over it.”

“No, Tourie, but you took no time to move on.”

“What's your problem?”

“I don't like him.”

“Daniel? You don't even know him.”

“And you do?”

“Yes.”

He laughed. He was making me pissed but I was determined to keep calm.

“I guess her knowing me is amusing.” Daniel said as he emerged from the kitchen. Aaron, taken by surprise, jumped a little. I smiled at that. “Can I talk to you for a minute?” Daniel said to me and I followed him into the hallway. “Darling, somethings come up, I gotta go.” I only nodded my head.

I wished he could stay long but just couldn't say it out loud and my eyes must have said something my lips couldn't because after I walked him to the door he took me in his arms and whispered in my ear. “I was going to see if you'd like to come out with me tonight, but it looks like I'll have to postpone, darling.”

“It's okay.”

He kissed my lips. “Be safe.” Then was gone in a flash.

~~~~~


“Are you sure you don't want me to stay?” Cassie asked me as she and Aaron got ready to leave an hour or so later. Aaron having already told me bye was starting the car. I could tell he was still a bit on edge but I couldn't quite fathom exactly why, and Cassie didn't seem to be too effected by his behavior. “Yeah, I'm sure. I'll be fine. I'll call you later, okay.” I assured her softly, afraid my voice might break. I felt shaken but I couldn't let it show.

“Okay.” she said, but her face wasn't sure. “See you tomorrow.”

They waved to me and drove away. Once they were gone the house suddenly felt empty. I went around making sure the doors and windows were all locked before I went to my room. I didn't really feel like doing anything and had told my two besties that I didn't really feel like going out, I truly wasn't in the mood. It was late in the evening when I heard Aunt Bren and Phil pulling up. I didn't go down to greet them but said hi from my room when Bren announced she was home.

I started thinking about why Daniel had to rush off. I wondered what had come up. Maybe it was his mysterious business undertakings. Hopefully nothing too serious, or dangerous. I waited for him to call or come by but he didn't.

I had a late dinner with Bren. Phil had went home so it was just she and I here. I didn't tell her about Jayson's visit, she'd only freak out. I tried to put on a brave face but I don't think she was totally fooled. But I think she attributed my sad mood to my break up, not more sinister matters. We wound up watching 'Pretty Woman' and eating ice cream before calling it a night.

I had strange dreams that caused me to toss and turn and I woke up, half expecting Daniel to be by my side, only to find I was alone in bed.

Aunt Bren was getting ready to leave when I got up. “I'm having dinner at Phil's parents place tonight.” she told me. I nodded. Dinner alone, lucky me.

That day I ran a few more errands and finished the rest of my cleaning. Around three Cassie called and while I was on the phone with her I had gotten a text from Daniel saying he would be over soon. He came an hour later, food in hand.

“I figured you'd be hungry.” he said as he came in, then planted a soft kiss on my cheek. “I hope you like Thai.”

“Thanks. And I do.” So we settled down at the table and dug in. “So, what was the emergency last night?” I asked after we chatted idly for a few minutes.

“Nothing really.” he said quietly.

“Vampire stuff?” I guessed.

He chuckled. “Yeah. Vampire stuff.”

“Mm-hm. Are you ever going to tell me more about it? Your world? Your life?”

“I don't want to frighten you.”

“I don't think you can.”

He chuckled again. “You've never seen me vamping out.”

“Vamping Out?” I made a face. “Do you mean the demon eyes and fangs?”

“The feeding. The bloodlust. The rage.” he said.

“Oh.” I said then, “Is it easy to lose control?”

“Sometimes.” he paused, opened his mouth as if to say something then changed his mind. After a minute he said, “Your friends seem... nice.” he forced the last word out.

“You don't have to lie. I know you don't like them.”

“No. The girl is fine, it's your other friend I... have the issue with.”

“Is it a guy thing? Because I don't get it.”

“Something like that.” he muttered. I knew it was all I was going to get out of him, maybe Aaron would be of more help when I breached the subject with him.

We changed the topic and I asked, “What other sort of businesses to you have?”

“A clothing store, a cleaning service, a club or two.”

Wow. “All that?”

“Yes. All that.”

“When do you find the time?”

“Time isn't an issue for me.”

Oh. Right. “Can I ask you something?”

“Anything.”

“You don't have to answer if you don't want to.”

He sighed, “Just ask the question, darling.”

“How often do you need to feed?”

He smirked. “It depends on how much I take. Could be a once every other week, could be a month, could be every few days. But it's best to feed at least once a week or you risk the chance of losing total control.”

“When did you last feed?”

“Yesterday.” he said, locking eyes with me.

“Oh.”

He smiled. “Why are you asking me all of this?”

“Curiosity.” I said honestly.

“You know what they say about that.” he said, moving a few inches closer. I suddenly felt nervous.

He reached out and touched me cheek. “Settle your heart, darling.” he said softly and I realized my heart was racing.

“Sorry.” I murmured.

“Don't be.”

We finished our meal and Dan stayed over until seven. He said as he got up to leave, “Well I've got work to do tonight, but I might stop by later.”

“It's okay if you don't.” I assured him although I was kind of hoping he would stay with me.

“I'll come by. Just don't be alarmed if you find me in bed with you.” he said with a sly smile. Then he pulled to his chest and kissed me. “Be good.” he whispered against my mouth. I smiled and walked him to the door. With another kiss he said bye and I watched him leave.