Sequel: Hurts Like Heaven
Status: Complete.

Bliss and Bloodlust

Chapter Sixteen.

Sunday afternoon I had a late lunch with Cass and Aaron. I was in a very good mood, which I attributed to my night out with a certain vampire. But Aaron seemed determined to crush it.

“So, where did you two meet?” he asked after our food arrived. I knew just whom he meant.

“Why do you want to know?” I asked in turn.

He shrugged. “Curious.” Nosy was more like it.

“In the woods.” I answered honestly.

“The woods? Seriously?”

“Yes. Do you have a problem with that? Answer not sufficient enough?” I felt irritated.

“Seriously, you met him in the woods?” he had said it all slowly as if trying to wrap his head around it.

“Yes.”

He gave me a skeptical look. Cassie had been rolling her eyes and shaking her head at the inquisition the whole time.

“I still can't believe he owns that club.” Aaron said shaking his head, disbelievingly. “I actually liked it there.”

“You can still go.” I said but he frowned at me. “What? Stop acting like a child.”

He didn't respond.

“Have you heard from Steph?” I asked to change the subject.

“No, she's avoiding me like the plague But Aaron saw her yesterday.” Cassie replied

“Yeah, she didn't say much though.” he informed me. “But everyone's talking about what happened at the party. How you broke Steph's nose.” he turned to Cassie.

“I didn't break it.” She said absently but I saw the corners of her lips turn up slightly.

“Have you talked to Jayson?” I asked Aaron.

“He won't talk to me.”

“Because you wont stop talking to me?”

He shrugged. “Something like that.” He wiped his mouth, “Excuse me ladies. I'll be right back.”

“Gotta tinkle?” Cassie said in a tiny baby voice. He ignored her. “Okay. I'd been meaning to ask you where the mysterious man Daniel came from.” she said once he was out of ear shot.

“Cassie. He's my friend.”

“I know but, suddenly he's in your life.” her eyes widened and she gasped. “It had something to do with that night Jayson tried to …” she lowered her voice, “you know, kill you.”

I muttered, “Maybe.”

“Come on, Tourie, give me some details.”

“He may or may not have saved me.” I said softly.

“Really.” He eyes widened. I nodded. “Heroic and yummy, what a catch.”

“I thought you didn't like him.”

“He's alright, I don't really trust him, but doesn't mean I can't enjoy the view.” Her eyebrows moved up and down. “Are you going to tell me how he did it?”

“No.”

“Not fair.”

“That's life, kid.” I said as I grabbed a fry off of her plate.

“So are you too really just friends? I got a feeling something has already happened.”

“It's... complicated.”

“Yeah?”

“Hey, why is Aaron still so pissed off?”

“Uh, don't you try to change the subject. Have you two kissed?” I blushed. “I knew it! What else has happened? Huh? Huh?”

“Nothing.”

She gasped, “He was the one who attacked Jayson.”

“No, he wasn't.” she frowned, “Seriously. Now like I said what's been up with Aaron?”

“I dunno.” I rolled my eyes. “I think he was just being protective Tourie. And he just doesn't trust Daniel. I mean we have just met him and he's already you're defender, your protector. Knight in shinning armor.”

“But why would that bother Aaron?”

“Because he's a guy and you two have history.”

“You think he's jealous of Daniel?”

“Yup. I mean, maybe a little bit.”

That didn't really surprise me. “What about you? You we've been acting all weird, too. What's going on?”

She had no time to answer because Aaron was returning so we pretended to be talking about something else. But the look she had on her face seemed a little guilty.

~~~~~


We were in Aaron's car, halfway to my house when Aaron started talking about a bar he went to with his friend Andre recently. “It's called Bloody Hell,” he said. Oh, my god, no. “It's more of a nightclub if you ask me. Anyway we should go sometime.”

“I'm game, how about this weekend?” Cass said. “Tourie you in?”

“Uh...” I muttered from the backseat. Cass turned to look at me.

“What is it?” Aaron said with a sigh.

“Nothing.”

“Spill it.” they said in unison.

“Okay, Bloody Hell is sort of Daniels bar.”

“What do you mean 'Daniel's bar'?” Aaron asked.

“He owns it.” He turned slightly to me.

“Seriously?” Aaron sounded annoyed. “You've gotta be kidding me? He owns that place too. What doesn't he own.”

“He owns another bar? An entrepreneur. Ooh.” Cass interrupted.

“Shut up Cass.” he said under his breath. “Well, I'm never going back there again.”

“Really? What's the big effing deal Aaron? I know you don't like him but it doesn't mean you can't like his bars.” He didn't respond. I huffed out a breath. “You're acting like a child, again..”

“Yes. I guess I am.” he said without a hint of apology in his voice.

We drove the rest of the way in silence. When we pulled up to my driveway we saw Daniel's Chevy parked behind aunt Bren's car and next to my pickup. What was he doing here?

“Let me guess. Daniel.” Aaron said dryly.

“You guys coming in?' I asked, ignoring Aaron's last remark.

He shook his head and Cass said no. “Got to got to my cousins dinner party thingy.”

“Oh, right. Well, bye guys.” I said as I opened the car door.

As they drove away I saw Cass smack the back of Aaron's head and began tearing him a new one. I half smiled at the little scene. I walked in and found Aunt Bren and Dan at the kitchen table, beers in hand and laughing. He was wearing a tee, loose fitting jeans and his hair was all over the place. All in all he looked extremely sexy.

“Hey.” Daniel said as he got up and gave me a quick hug.

“What's going on?” He wore a satisfied smile on his face. What was going on? I joined them at the table.

“I came by to see you and found your aunt here trying to clean the gutters.” He handed me a beer then sat back down.

Bren gave me a little grin. “So him being the gentleman he is,” she interrupted, “he offered to help and just finished the job for me.”

“It was nothing.” Dan said modestly.

“That was very sweet of you.” I said, giving him a genuine smile.

We all talked for a few minutes more. I noticed there was a huge bowl of very red apples on the table where my now dead bouquet had resided last week.

“We'll, I'll leave you two alone.” Bren said, “Why didn't Aaron and Cass come in?”

I took a swig from my bottle and shrugged. “They had stuff to do.”

“Mm-hmm. Thanks again, Daniel.”

“No problem Bren.” he said giving here a dazzling smile. She left the room blushing.

“No seducing my aunt.” I said teasingly.

“Never.” he leaned over and gave me a quick albeit satisfying kiss. “So why didn't Cass and Andrew want to come in.”

“Aaron.” I said correcting him.

“Same difference.”

“You're as bad as he is. He's in mood again. I'm gonna just let run it's course.”

“Mm-hmm.”

“Don't you “mm-hmm” me.” he laughed. “Why were you really coming by?”

“I had got home from the bar and had the urge to see your pretty face.”

“Uh-huh. You could have called me first.”

“I still would have come by any way.”

“Because you can't resist me.” I leaned over and wrapped my arms around his neck.

He tilted his head to one side and said. “No, I can't.” His voice was seductive, and full of sexuality.

“And you brought over apples.” I looked over at the bowl.

“Yes. I've got an apple tree behind the barn. I thought you might like a few.”

I remembered the apple he gave me the day after we first met. That makes sense now, sort of. “Thank you.”

“You're welcome.”

Then he quickly pulled me onto his lap and kissed me long and deep. My hands ran through his soft hair. He smelled like grass and the outdoors. Then I straddled him in his chair, but he pulled me back a bit. His hand was holding fistful of my shirt and his fangs were halfway out.

“I should rip all your clothes off right now.” He said seriously.

Oh my. “Yeah and run the risk of having my aunt find us having wild animal sex on the kitchen floor.”

“I was thinking the table, actually.” His eyes grew darker. He let my shirt go a fraction. “We keep going in circles you and I.” his hand slipped slowly, tantalizingly slow, up my back. “And we always seem to reach the same end.” my own hands caressed his face gently. “What are we going to do about it?”

My breaths were coming up short. He stared at me for a long time. “I don't know.” I said finally.

“Yes you do.” He's right. I do.

He kissed my neck, once, twice, then my lips. I couldn't resist if I tried. He had me in his palm and he knew it.

The house phone rang just then. “Bren will get it.” I whispered and pressed my lips to his.

A minute later I heard, “Ve-Ve!” as my aunt called from upstairs. Dan moved his lips from mine, “Your dad's on the phone!” I could feel Daniel silently laughing against my neck.

“Okay!” I called back. Dan chuckled and released his grip on me. “Sorry.” I said to him as I reluctantly climbed off his lap.

“We're always being interrupted.” he said as I got the cordless phone from it's cradle.

“Hi, daddy.” I said, still a bit breathless.

“Hey, pumpkin.” my dad said on the other end.

Daniel sat in his chair with his hands gripping the edge of the table. I walked over and placed my hand on his back as I continued to talk. “How you been?” I asked.

“Great, I've been real great.” I could hear his smile. He sounded happy. “Sorry, I haven't called in so long.” Daniel pulled me back onto his lap again. I resisted the urge to hang up and finish what we started.

“It's okay, I know you're busy. How's Suzanne?” Suzanne was dad's girlfriend.

“She's great. Actually that's why I'm calling you. We have some great news. We're getting married.”

“Daddy, that's great.” I beamed, “Congratulations. So you finally popped the question, huh?” They have been together for nearly four years. I was truly happy for them, and I liked her a lot. She was a great fit for him.

“Yeah and Suzanne wants you to be one of here bridesmaids.”

“Really? I mean, yeah, I'd love to.”

“Great. Great.” his voice was brimming with excitement. “She'll be so glad.”

“You guy pick a date yet?”

“Not yet, but perhaps the end of the year, or sooner. I'm leaving that up to her. You know how you girls get.” We both laughed. “We'll let you know so you can do all the stuff bridesmaids do.” My dad knew very little about wedding preparations. We talked for about five minutes more, all the while Daniel played with my hair and kissed little bits of whatever skin he could get to. “I won't keep you any longer pumpkin. I love you.”

“I love you, too, daddy. Congrats again.”

“Thanks pumpkin, bye.”

“Bye.” We both hung up.

“So your dad's getting married again.” Daniel said as I hung up the phone.

“Yeah.” I smiled and so did he.

“Well I better get going to go.”

“So soon?” I didn't mean for it to come out as winy as it did.

He stood up, making me stand too, and wrapped his arm around me. “I'll see you tomorrow. By the way I'm taking you out for dinner Friday. My treat.”

“Do I get a say?”

He smirked. “Are you free tomorrow?” he asked, ignoring my question.

“No. Work.”

“I thought you didn't work on Mondays.”

“I'm working overtime this week.”

“Lucky you.” he chuckled and then kissed me. His fangs were still out and I placed my tongue to one and Daniel had me pinned to a wall a second later, so suddenly the wind was knocked out of me.
His dark eyes regarded me, shock on his face. “I'm so sorry,” he apologized and held me to him like I was a wounded animal. “Did I hurt you?” his voice was full of pain as he stroked my back.

“No, I'm fine. Really, Dan. I- I shouldn't have done that.”

“No. I like when you do that, sweetheart. I'm just a little... wound up.”

“Oh” was all I could say. He meant he was in the mood. I knew it was more than just being turned on. Maybe he needed to feed. But I also began wondering how long it had been since he had sex. That might also be it. I knew it had been along while for me. And I knew all this foreplay wasn't helping matters for either of us.

“I'll see you tomorrow.” was all he said before he pulled me into a heart stopping kissed and then disappeared down the hall and out the front door before I knew what happened.

~~~~~


Monday was very busy, as was the rest of the week, at the hotel. There was a convention in town, and we were understaffed so we were working our asses off. I didn't get home until just after six thirty that evening. I had worked twelve hours, with only four small breaks and half a lunch.

Dan came by after midnight but only to tell me he would be gone until Wednesday. Business was all he would say when I asked why. But I was too busy to miss him properly.

After I got off Tuesday evening I got a strange call on my cell phone. An unknown number and the person on the other end said nothing. The person called several more times that night but I stopped answering. I knew who it was.

Wednesday I told Cassie about the phone calls, which also came in the middle of the night and that morning, while we on one of our four breaks today. “It's got to be one or the other.” she said, “I mean, who else would want to bother you like that?”

No one I could think of and as far as I knew I had no other enemies. “I wish they would just let me be.”

I had gotten too comfortable this past week since I hadn't seen or heard from my ex and former friend, plus Daniel presence had given me a false sense of security. I had let my guard down.

When Daniel stopped by that night, back from his trip to who knows where, I said nothing about it. I didn't want him to worry or overreact. He didn't stay over for too long, which didn't bother me because I was dog tired and had to get up before dawn and work a twelve hour shift... again. I kept telling myself that I had Sunday and Monday off, and dinner with my vampire companion, among possible other things, to look forward to.

But I was on the lookout for those two idiots who seemed determined to make my life a living hell. But neither showed their face and by the next night the phone calls had stopped. Maybe it hadn't been them after all.

By Friday things seemed to be back to normal .I had gotten off at six and was so tired I dragged my feet to the garage to get to my truck. I longed to sleep.

Daniel still wanted to do dinner and God knows what else and I was debating whether or not to call and cancel. Don't get me wrong I really loved the idea of going out with Dan but I would have to get all dressed up and stuff and I wasn't really in the mood. And I had to work half a day tomorrow as well. Maybe I can convince him to do it this weekend instead.

I had been thinking about what Dan had said about bettering myself and even though he made a point not to bring it up again maybe he was right. I couldn't really afford college and I barely got by high school but maybe I could give it a try, even community college would be better than scrubbing toilets.

I got in my pickup and blinked my eyes several times before I checked my phone. A few missed calls, one from Suzanne, I'd call her back tomorrow, one from Aaron, maybe he was going to apologize for being such a pain in the ass this week, not likely. Aunt Bren had called at lunch but I hadn't turned my phone on then, as did Daniel. A few more text but nothing important. I put the key in the ignition, yawned, and started it up, thinking of home and my comfy bed.

As I pulled out of my parking spot and turned the pickup around to drive out of the three leveled parking garage I had the nagging feeling something was off. I drove along slowly, then speed up, hoping to beat the rush hour traffic out of downtown.

Just as I was about to turn out onto the first level I had only seconds to realize that I couldn't slow down. I slammed my foot hard down on the brake pedal but nothing happened. I had only a split second to come to the realization that my brakes failed before I crashed suddenly into the cement wall ahead of me.