Sequel: Hurts Like Heaven
Status: Complete.

Bliss and Bloodlust

Chapter Seventeen.

Luckily I hadn't been driving that fast. But the sound of the crash had been loud in my ears and now they were ringing. I had hit the back of my head on the headrest before it jerked forward and bumped my forehead against the steering wheel. I felt disoriented and my vision was suddenly clouded with stars. I blinked several times but it got no clearer. Then I think I might have blacked out and when I came to my head was swimming and felt heavy.

“Aah.” I groaned in pain.

My shoulder and neck had erupted in pain, as did as my head. There was smoke coming from the front of my pickups smashed up front end. The windshield was broken and glass littered my lap. I felt dizzy and shut my eyes again.

“Are you alright?” Someone asked and I half jumped. I think I might have blacked out again.

In my peripheral I could see a man standing near my door. I couldn't get my vision to focus. I tried to nod but it hurt and when I turned the pressure in my head increased. I groaned.

“Hold on.” the man said, “Don't try to move.” and began opening my door. He reached inside and unfastened my seat belt. At least I think he did. I don't really remember putting it on.

“She's bleeding.” A voice said behind the man but I couldn't see anyone else. All I really wanted to do was shut my eyes again. It made everything feel better.

“Did you call 911?” someone else asked and by the time the man had managed to carry away me from the truck I could see there was a small crowd of people gathered around. The man carried me away from my wrecked pickup, which was still smoking, and laid me on the ground. Someone placed something to my forehead and that's when I realized I had blood running down the side of my face.

“Are you okay?” A lady asked me, but I still couldn't see her properly. I felt off balance. I tried to sit up. “No, don't you try to move. Lie back down. We called an ambulance. They should be here soon.” She was speaking to me as if I was slow. Or maybe my heading was off. Maybe I was receiving information slower than normal... Maybe... It hurt too much to think.

“My truck-” I began but someone cut me off.

“You needn't worry about that now.” I wasn't sure who said it. I was sort of seeing double now.

“What's your name?” the man who had rescued me asked.

I had to really think about it. “Vic...tour...ia...” I managed to get out, stammering. I sounded more like a question once it was out.

“Alright, Victouria. I can hear the ambulance coming. You're going to be fine.”

The others who had gathered around were treating me so delicately. Had the accident been that bad? Why were they fussing over me like this? I had only hit a wall, right? Was there a pole? Or was there a car, too? A person? Oh, god. Had I hit someone? I was about to start freaking out when the paramedics arrived and told me I might have a concussion and that I needed to go to the hospital.

“But I feel better.” I lied. My head was now pounding as someone was beating a steel drum inside my skull and when they sat me up it got worse but I really didn't want to go to the hospital. But they insisted. And I went.

Once there in the emergency room one of the nurses kindly called Aunt Bren for me, who called Cass, who called Aaron. All three were there in a flash. I received a neurological exam and an x-ray. Yes I indeed had a mild concussion. My equilibrium was off but that slowly began to pass and the feeling that the room was spinning stopped eventually. My memory was returning, my vision had cleared, both of which were good. I had banged up my shoulder, had few scraps and bruises, a bump on the back of my head, and a nasty gash in the front from the breaking glass cutting me that I had to have stitched up as well as a cut on my cheek that required a few as well. Other than that I was pretty fine. The nurse who examined me considered me pretty lucky. I suppose I was. I thought that would be it, but nope there was more to be done.

A psychiatrist came in so they could rule out attempted suicide. Aunt Bren had objected to that. Then a police officer came and asked me what happened and I told him about the brakes not working.

“Had you been having problems with your brakes?” Aaron asked once the cop was gone. We were still in the ER.

“Nope, they've been working fine.” I told him.

“Maybe it's just getting old.” Cass added. She was eating the hospital jello. She had said she was that hungry and it was getting late. I knew none of them had had dinner and a part of me felt guilty about that.

“Maybe.” I rested my head on the pillow behind me and shut my eyes. The all too bright lights were making me what to gouge my eyes out. And keeping them shut helped my head fell slightly less like a balloon. God, I was hurting all over. “Did they tell you when they were going to let me go home?” I asked Aunt Bren.
She shook her head. “No. But you may have to stay overnight so they can make sure your head is fine.”

“Great.” I murmured.

I hated being at hospitals. I really didn't want to spend the night here. And sure enough, as my luck would have it, I was going to have to stay even longer. They thought they spotted something on my x-ray that they wanted to check out. So I had to have an MRI done and I cringed thinking about the hospital bill. Once the nurse was done she took me back to the ER so I could wait the result which would take god knows how long. It was nearly eight thirty. And by the way the staff were busying themselves I knew there was something big happening. Another accident of some sort? Who knows. I just knew I wasn't leaving anytime soon.

“Did anyone call Daniel?” I asked as I suddenly remembered. In my foggy state I had forgotten about him till now.

They all exchanged a look then Bren said, “I'm on it.” and left the room with my cell.

Aaron gave me a tired look, then got up from his seat and got closer. “Get better.” he kissed my better cheek.

“You're leaving?” I asked.

“Yeah.”

“Don't tell me it's because of Daniel.”

“No, it's getting late.”

Sure that was the reason why.

“I'm gonna get going too.” Cassie said. “I've still gotta be up at the crack of dawn.”

She gave me a careful hug and she and Aaron left out together. I told aunt Bren to leave as well, she needn't worry about me Besides she told me Dan was on his way over and just minutes later Daniel walked in, aviators on, and a little dressed up. That's when I remembered our date.

“I really screwed up.” I muttered.

Dan grabbed a chair, pulled it over to the side of my bed, saying, “I had a feeling you would try to get out of our date.” I laughed. It only made my head pound a little more.

After taking his shades off, he eyed the bandage wrapped around my head. His hand caressed my cheek near the new scar on my cheek. “It's okay. Only superficial wounds. Well except for the... concussion.”

“Tell me what happened. If you're up to it.”

I took a very deep breath in and I told him about the past few hours, I was still wondering whether or not I had nicked someones car. All the while I could see his mind working. “What are you thinking?” I asked after I finished.

“I don't want to upset you.”

“Spill.”

“Your brakes were perfectly fine this morning, right?”

“Yes.”

“And the suddenly they stopped working completely hours later?” I nodded. “Does that garage have security cameras?”

“I think so. Why?”

“I think someone cut your brakes, darling.”

“What? Why?” I exclaimed.

“Calm.” he said caressing my cheek again, “Can you not think of anyone who might want to hurt you, maybe even kill you?”

I gave him a tired look. “You really think it was him?”

“Or her.”

“I don't think either of them are smart enough to think of something like this.” But as I thought about it, had I been thinking clearly I would have came to the same conclusion.

“I do.” Dan said, “They could have gotten the idea from somewhere or someone. A bullet wouldn't stop you so maybe two tons of steel would.”

“Do you really think it was them?”

“Together or separately, yes it was one or the other. This is too much of a coincidence.”

My heart felt as heavy as my head. I shut my eyes again, but opened them a moment later when a nurse came through the curtain that separated each patient.

She started to say something but stopped herself, mouth hanging open and stared at Daniel who had turned her way. I couldn't see his expression, but from the way she had gasped suddenly, I assumed she must have seen something there she shouldn't have. Not good. I knew he was growing angrier about all of this.

The woman struggled for a moment, and when she talked her voice hiked up with every syllable. “Sir, I need to, uh,”

Daniel got up crossed the few feet between them. He whispered something I couldn't decipher, then she nodded her head, came over to check on my head and such, but she spoke not a word. It was eery. Her eyes looked dead now. Once she was done she closed the curtain, leaving us alone once more. I knew what had happened.

“Did you just mind control her?” I asked indignantly as he sat back down.

He smiled devilishly. “Would you like me to stay here with you?”

“Answer the question, Daniel.”

“Yes. She won't worry about me now.”

“You can't do that.”

“But I just did and because of it you won't have to worry about staying here all night long.”

“You're unbelievable.” I rolled my eyes which was not a good idea. He only laughed.

“Or if you prefer I could leave so I can go kill our two favorite people.”

“No, if anyone is gonna kill then it's gonna be me.” He raised an eyebrow and gave me an oh really look. “But we really don't know if my brakes were cut or if it was just some freak accident.”

“I'll bet you anything that it was no accident. And when we do, then can I have permission to rip their heads off?”

“Dan.” I huffed out.

“I'm serious Tourie. I'm tired of their threats and attempts to end your life. You belong to me now. No one is going to harm you without having to pay a price.”

His voice had a slight British sounding accent to it. Maybe that was just the concussion although I can remember hearing it slip into his voice before, especially when he was angry. Was he a Brit? He had mentioned being born the same year as The Great Frost, that had been in the England and Europe.

My eyebrows rose at his statement.

“I belong to you now?” I gave him the most evil look I could muster which only further hurt my head.

He smiled. “I meant that in the least possessive way possible. I know that you're your own woman, I respect that.”

“Thanks.” I said with a yawn.

“No sleeping just yet. Concussions are nasty things. Something might be wrong.”

“Well, you sent the nurse away, so how will I know. I think she had some more test to do or...” I yawned again. “something.”

“She'll finish them up. By the way, Bren said the concussion was mild. Why are they making you have all these test and things?”

“Precaution.”

So Dan had been right. A doctor came and finished up the test. They found nothing else wrong, and not too long after that I was being discharged by which time it was after midnight. No overnight stay, no more test. The power of Daniel. Gotta love it.

As we left and he helped me into his car I knew he was itching to say something else. I waited until we had been driving a few minute to say something but the look on his face stopped me. Even in the dark I could sense his tension and the tightness in his jaw so I kept quiet. Plus the quiet felt good.

I dozed until we got to my house. Dan helped me undress and tucked me into bed. He spoke to Bren. He said she had been sleeping. Dan sat on the edge of my bed and looked down at me.

“I was thinking of a way to help you.” So is this what had been occupying his head.

“Dan, Ill be fine.”

“I'm sure you will, but in the meantime...” He began rolling his sleeves up. “I can help you heal faster.”

I shook my head as he brought his wrist to his mouth. “No. I'll be fine.”

He paused and dropped his arm. “But you'll be better sooner if you drink-”

“No.” I said with finality.

“Stop being stubborn. You've had my blood before.”

I sighed. “I had been dying then.”

“Tourie, please.” he sounded almost desperate. Why did he want me to do this so bad?

“It feels good.” I murmured to myself as, even in my unclear state of mind, it clicked. His shoulders sagged for a second before he pulled himself upright again. He rolled one sleeve down but I put my hand on his other arm before he repeated the process and propped myself onto my elbows . “Doesn't it?”

“I told you before it could be blissful” he whispered.

I hadn't even thought about how it would make him feel to have someone take his blood. I don't think he liked admitting that he needed me, or even how good it felt.

“I'm not going to force you to do something you don't want to do.” he told me.

I took his hand and with a look in his eyes I gave him permission. He hesitated before he bit into his wrist. His mouth came away a little bloody and he moved his arm cautiously to my mouth. I swallowed hard and tried not to think about what I was about to do.

I held onto his wrist and began to suck the cool, sweet, metallic liquid into my mouth. Daniel shut his eyes with a small smile playing on his lips. He looked almost... serene. I shut my own eyes and pulled even deeper on the wound. It tasted sort of... good. Now I could remember the night he had saved my life better, how I had lied with my head on his lap and clung to him for dear life.

Then my head began to swim and I had to stop.

“I'm sorry darling.” Dan said, his lips now by my ear. “I should have known how hard this would be for you.”

“It's alright.” I reached for his wrist and put it to my mouth again. I wanted him to be happy, to see that look on his face again, to satisfy him.

But I could tell the wound was smaller. It was healing. I heard Daniel made a growling sound deep and low in the back of his throat as I took one final long pull and then licked the wound until it was closed again.

“Mmm.” he murmured sweetly. I licked my lips clean. I have to admit, the whole thing had been oddly erotic.

“I think you're in the clear.” Daniel said, dragging a fingertip across my bottom lip. “You can rest now, my darling.”

I hadn't realized how late it was until I opened my eyes and saw that it was nearly two am. I shut my eyes again and was out like a light.
♠ ♠ ♠
rewritten 9/5/13