Sequel: Hurts Like Heaven
Status: Complete.

Bliss and Bloodlust

Chapter Eighteen.

“What are you doing?” Daniel asked when he spotted me in my closet. I needed to take a shower asap. “Back in bed.”

“I'm fine.” I said.

Better than fine, really. I had woke up feeling well rested. My aches had dulled and my head no longer felt fit to burst. Vampire blood. Wonderful stuff. I was already feeling the effects of it.

It was morning. The sun was up, and I didn't feel like getting back in bed yet. Last night was a bit of a blur after having Dan's blood. I vaguely remember Dan waking me up sometime in the middle of the night and that's all.

“You still need some rest. The one thing about accidents is that you might not feel the pain at first but the next day they creep up on you. You were banged up.”

“I have your blood.” I said. I didn't need or want to rest.

“Which is still working its way through you.” he told me as he got out of bed and pulled me from my pursuit of something to wear. “It takes time. I'll lie down with you.” he paused. “How about I make some breakfast.”

Before I could say a word he flew out of my room. And was alone for the first time since yesterday. And that gave me too much time to think about the course of events that had been happening in my life.

Someone may or may not have had messed with my brakes and with how things had been going it was more likely it was on purpose than some kind of accident although I was hoping it was just that so it would be one less thing to worry about.

The mysterious phone calls had to have been Jayson. I wasn't sure if Stephanie would even bother doing something so... childish, but then again as it turns out I hardly knew her. I would have to tell Dan about that. Why hadn't I done that sooner. Oh, yeah, I wanted to handle things myself.

And another thing... how much will it cost to fix the truck? According to Bren it wasn't too bad, the hood, lights and brakes were the worse of it, along with the windshield. But my baby, my pickup needed work done on her ages ago, but I just couldn't afford it. How was I going to afford to have it repaired now?

I hated lying here, doing nothing so I got up, left the room, and was planning on heading downstairs when I saw Daniel coming up, a tray of food in his hands. It smelled delicious and I was starving.

“You should be in bed.”

“I'm not dying. I feel great.”

“I wonder why.” he muttered. “Back to bed.”

“Daniel, I'm fine.” I said and he stalked pass me into my room.

I followed and he sat the tray on the bed. There was an omelet, orange juice and a sliced apple on the plate. My mouth watered and I climbed back in bed with my vampire and dug in.

He sat down beside me and I finally told Daniel about my strange phone calls. He was more calm than I had expected him to be, saying he wished I had told him soon and maybe thing could have played out differently. I suppose he was being optimistic.

He brushed my hair behind my ear. “I'm never going to let anything happen to you, you know that right.”

I nodded.

“Do you trust me?”

“Yes.” I looked up at him, his face was serious. “What are you thinking Dan?”

“You don't want to know.”

“No killing, you promised.”

Daniel still wanted me to give him the go ahead to kill Jayson and Stephanie, but I still refused. That wasn't the way to solve problems. But the more thought about it I was sure it was in his world.

“I know.” he said emotionless.

“You wish you hadn't made that promise don't you?”

“At this moment, very much so.”

“Baby, please let the police handle it-”

He raised and eyebrow. “Baby?”

“What?” I asked in confusion, then it dawned on me. Had I really just called a three hundred year old vampire “baby”?

“You called me baby.” he grinned widely. “I like it. No one has ever called me that before.”
“Really? Ever?”

“Well... maybe not ever. But you saying it has meaning.” I only smiled and took another bit of my omelet.

“For a someone who hasn't slept with me,” I said, “you sure have been in my room a lot.”

“Well it's not for lack of trying.” he stroked my face gently. “You're beautiful.” he kissed my lips, soft and sweet.

“So are you.” I whispered as our lips part. “So you're from England aren't you?”

He half smiled. “It take it you heard the accent.” I nodded. “It isn't as strong as it used to be.”

“How come?”

“Time. Adaption." he shrugged. "I've been in the States for decades. But it still comes out when I'm... upset.”

“I noticed.”

“Maybe I should speak with it more often. I hear chicks dig dudes with accents.” he said the last bit with a surfer like way of speaking.

“Yeah I heard something like that too.” He had a smile playing on his lips. “Tell me more about your life, your family.” I'm not sure why I said it, but I regretted it.

He stopped smiling. “Why?”

“You know a lot about me I just want to know more about you.” I told him timidly, “If you don't want to it's okay. Forget it.”

I remember him asking to know more about me and I refused to answer. How could I expect him to answer me. And I hadn't taken into account how much it might hurt to think about them, people whom he loved who had died centuries ago.

After a few minutes of silence, in which I had finished my meal and Dan had moved the tray off the bed and pulled the covers up around us, he spoke.

“I had to work all my life. We, my family, were poor, but proud.” he half smiled, “As I mentioned before my mother died when I was young, five actually; pneumonia, I guess you would call it now. I hardly can remember her now.” his eyes stared straight ahead, distant and the more he talked the thicker his original accent came through.

“My father was a a simple man, with good morals, good values, hard working. He ran a funeral home, mortuary. I worked there with him, preparing bodies for burial. I didn't mind being there. Actually it was rather peaceful, in a strange sort of way, quiet, it gave one time to think.” he paused and sighed. No wonder he had no problems with death and such. “The first body I prepared was my brother Jack's. I was twelve.” Twelve? Oh my God. “He was a solider. Friendly fire.” he said, and his eyes grew even more distant and sorrowful.

“You'd think after all this time it wouldn't effect me. It shouldn't.” he said almost shamefully, “We are not supposed to be driven by our emotions, not supposed to care, but...” he stopped talking and closed his eyes. God, to have to live all these years, alone, with that pain. I can't even begin to imagine.

Several long moments passed before I asked, “Didn't you say you had a sister as well?”

He nodded, eyes still closed. “Yes. Anita. She was younger than I, and got married when she was just a teenager, as most young people did back then. She didn't have any children, none of us had though. I don't believe she could bare them, which bore a stigma all its own. Her husband used to beat her.” he spat out bitterly, “She eventually got away from him. He was murdered years later.” his voice had grew dark and filled with hatred. His whole body had went utterly, scarily still. I cautiously place a hand on top of his and his eyes, now dark, opened.

“Were you ever... married?” I blurted out.

He looked at me, his dark eyes suddenly seemed scary. I swallowed hard and my heartbeat speed up. But he didn't answer. His eyes still on mine, holding me in place, were changing back to their normal blue.

“You're not going to tell me more, are you?” I said in a small voice.

“Not today darling.” he moved with deliberate slowness and kissed the top of my head. My rising fear had subsided and my heart was calm again. “Fear makes it worse.” he said to me, and I knew what he meant.

“Sorry.” I said, embarrassed by my reaction.

“You have nothing to be sorry about. I am what I am; dangerous, a monster. You have every right to react how you do.”

My eyebrows knitted together, “You're not a monster.” I said and cupped his face in my hands. He looked away from me and said nothing. I leaned forward and kissed his lips gently. “You are not a monster.” I repeated.

He still said nothing, just moved out of my reach and took the tray then left out the room. I knew he needed a few moment to get himself together so I waited several long minutes before I went downstairs. Dan was in the kitchen, by the sink.

“Are those the same apples you brought last week?” I asked. They were still gleaming red.

He nodded but didn't look at me. I walked closer, grabbed the biggest apple in the bowl and took a bite out of it. Then I leaned my hip against the counter where Dan was standing and watched him. He took the fruit from me and brought it to his lips. “Someone's at the door.” he muttered after he swallowed his bite.

Sure enough there was a knock.

Daniel, before I could even move, went to answer it. It was Cassie, she had a bouquet of flowers and a get well soon balloon as she entered the kitchen.

“Hi, best friend.” she said as Daniel took everything from her and said he would put it in my room. When he was out of sight we both sat down and she took my hands in hers. “How do you feel?”

“I'm fine. Really.” Geez Louise, it hadn't been that bad.

“Good, good.” she looked out into the hall. “So has anyone figured out what happened yet?”

“Not yet. They're having a look at it today.”

“Do you think someone messed with your brakes?”

“I hope not. I really do.”

“Well if someone did it probably wasn't Steph.”

I frowned. Was she kidding? “And what makes you say that?” I asked.

“Someone had beat her up. She was at the hospital across town last night.”

“Gee, I wonder who.” I said sarcastically then added, “How bad was it?”

“She's black and blue, nearly as bad as Jayson.” she paused and looked at me guiltily. “This just seems so strange, you know. First someone does a number on Jayson, your trucks brakes give out and now Steph.”

“What are you trying to say, Cass?”

“How well do you know him Tourie?” she asked and pointed her thumb in the direction of the hallway.

“Not again.” I said exasperated.

“I'm serious.” she lowered her voice, “What if he beat her up last night?”

“He didn't.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“Because he stayed with me last night. All night.”

“Oh” was all she said.

“Yeah. Oh.” I sighed loudly, “And Jayson is a psycho, so I'm pretty sure he was the one who beat her black and blue.” I got up and walked over to the sink and looked out the window.

Although I hadn't a clue as to what time this was supposed to have happened, Daniel got to the hospital at around nine, so there was still a chance he could have done it, I was sure he hadn't. My money was on the psychopath. But I also knew that the only reason Dan hadn't done it was because he promised me he wouldn't and he had been true to his word so far. Otherwise...

“I'm sorry Tor,” Cass said, “It's just-”

“You don't trust him. I get it.”

“You two have gotten close in such a short amount of time.”

“Is that a crime?”

“I'm just trying to protect you.”

She and Aaron were both going to drive me crazy. “Cass, I can take care of myself. Look... I don't want you to start acting like Aaron. I need a friend and right now you're all I have.”

“Okay Tourie. I'm sorry. Do you really think Jayson did it though?”

“Quite frankly I don't care.” Daniel said suddenly. He was leaning against the wall by fridge. He hadn't been there a second ago.

Cass jumped when she saw him. “Shit. You're quiet.” she muttered.

He grinned “Yes I am.”

“So Stephanie got her ass handed to her, it doesn't surprise me.” He walked over to sit across from her at the table. Cassie's mouth was open in shock.

“So I guess you won't be sending her flowers then.” He chuckled humourlessly. “Well... I guess I'll be going. Call me later Tor. And get better.” I nod then she got up and gave me a quick, careful hug, then let herself out.

“That went well.” I said as I let out a huge sigh.

“Was I too blunt?” Dan asked with a mock sad face.

“Not at all. But I wonder what actually happened to her.”

“Like I said before, I don't really care.”
♠ ♠ ♠
For rbkh23.
<3
rewritten 9/3/13