Sequel: Hurts Like Heaven
Status: Complete.

Bliss and Bloodlust

Chapter Twenty-One.

Daniel had already called to have an alarm system installed, they would be out on tomorrow. And the windows had indeed been fixed. At this point I would never stop owing that man.

When Aunt Bren came home she noticed all the new window but I gave her some bogus story about playing baseball out back and breaking the windows. The story was plausible only because I was really lousy at sports and it had happened before when I was younger. Only problem was that three window had been replaced, not just one. She knew I was keeping something from her but didn't ask. I don't think she minded because they had been replaced with ones that looked better than the old one. And when I told her about the alarm system she said we were long over due for one anyway.

Dan was at work but tonight he would have one of his vampires guarding the house, his name was William. He gave me a general description of him so if I happen to see him, which Dan told me was unlikely, I could tell that he was friend not foe. I hated to admit it but it made me feel a lot safer. Vampires were fast and strong and if anyone was found lurking around the house well... they would regret it.

Plus Phil was sleeping over so I felt like I had added protection. Cass and Aaron cam by and I was glad he was with her, it meant I wouldn't have to talk about having slept with Daniel, at least not yet. I asked them if they had seen either Jayson or Stephanie.

“Yesterday I saw Steph.” Cass said as we sat on the porch. The day was nice and seeing as it was now May it was getting warmer out. “She looked like shit. Her right eye is swollen shut.” Cass went on, “She's got some bruises on her arms too. I tried to ask her how it happened but she just ignored me. And people think I'm the one who beat her up.” she said with outrage.

“Doesn't surprise me.” I said. “You did break her nose.” I teased.

“I did not. I only gave her a teeny tiny bruise.”

“I last saw Jay a few days after your accident. He was in a pissy mood.” said Aaron. I hadn't seen much of him lately, but he seemed to have gotten past the whole Daniel thing. “He said the cops had talked to him about it. He almost threw a temper tantrum.” he shook his head, “Maybe I'll call him later and see if I can find out anything.”

So they were both still breathing. Good to know Dan had kept his promise, even thought I knew he was dying to do both of their asses in. “So you two are still friends.” I said, a little hurt.

“I don't know if you'd call it friendship, but we talk if we see each other.” he said guiltily.

I said nothing.

“Tourie.”

“It's okay.” I gave a fake smile. I couldn't expect him to stop being friends with Jayson, no matter how big of an asshole her was.

“Is he still limping around?” Cass asked.

“Not really, he seems a lot better.” Aaron answered. “Do you think he had anything to do with your cutting your brakes?”

I shrugged but my heart felt heavy. I couldn't even feel safe in my own home now. Was no where safe?

Cassie then added, “Or it could have been-”

I shot her a look so sharp it have could cut glass because I knew just what she was about to say and she shut up quickly.

But Aaron finished for her instead. “Daniel.”

Here we go again. “He had no reason to do such a thing.” I said.

“I would have said the same hing about Jay and Steph a month ago, but now... who knows. And I know them both well. This guy... I don't know, T. He seems so attached to you. Possessive.”

I frowned. “He isn't possessive. Jayson was possessive.” And tried to kill me because of it. But Daniel was... what was the word for it? Protective? Was that it? And just why was he so protective of a silly human like me? I shook doubt from my head.

“You have to admit, he could be rather intense.” said Cassie.

I crossed my arms over my chest. Yes, Dan was intense.

“He is.” she insisted.

“Guy come off it. Yes, Dan and I have grown close to one another, yes it happened quicker than I had anticipated.” I hadn't actually anticipated anything, it just sort of happened. “But you guys were so quick to judge him. He's not the bad guy.” At least not in my story.

“So you say.” Aaron interjected.

“And just what does that mean?”

“None of this stuff started happening until he came around.”

And none of it would be happening if he hadn't saved my life that night, I thought. “Daniel isn't the one causing trouble.”

“What about Stephanie? She and Jay both just happen to get attacked weeks apart. Both are people you're having problems with.”

“Who said Steph was attacked? It easily could have been Cass.” she frowned, “Or you, but Jayson was the one who did it. I told you Aaron, he's bad news. He-” I stopped right there. Aaron waited for me to go on. “Dan had nothing to do with it. Don't you think one of them would have said something about it by now?”

I knew Jayson had been compelled not to remember, and if Jay was the one who hit Steph, she would be too afraid, and too in love to tell anyone the man she so desperately loved caused her pain. But if Dan had do it he could have told her not to remember as well.

“But, T-”

“You hate him plain and simple.” I said to him. “And you hate the idea that your friend might have been the one who put Steph in the hospital. Like you said, you really don't know him anymore.”

That shut him up.

Just then Aaron's phone rang. He excused himself and went inside. Once he was gone Cassie said, “Sorry, Tor. He's just looking out for you.”

“And you aren't helping.” I told her.

“You don't really think he did it, do you?”

“No.” she sighed. “Not after you told me what he did for you. And I'm actually warming up to him. He makes you smile. That can't be a bad thing.”

I gave her a smile, albeit sad.

“It's just that this gets stranger and stranger by the day.” Cassie sighed.

To which I replied, “You're telling me.”

~~~~~


I was sitting by my window, Daniel's pocketknife in my hand, unable to sleep that night. It was one and every noise the house made made me alert and jumpy. I stared out at the woods, every now and then I could see tiny movement through the trees, if I hadn't know it was one of Daniel's men I would have been scared shitless.

The night was calm and my window was cracked to let in the soft breeze. I sighed and went over to the bed and lied down. My mind wouldn't shut off, it never really shuts off which has never really been a problem, but now my mind was filled with all the ways I might die in the coming days.

I shook myself then closed my eyes. Get it out of your head, I told myself. I opened my eyes, the clock read 2:14, then 3:01. I finally was able to get some sleep but my alarm blared at 4:45. I slept for a little more than and hour and a half. This day was not going to be good.

I was surprised to see Daniel at the front door instead of Cass, who was supposed to pick me up. “I called her last night and told her I would do the honours today.”

I snorted, “Honours, right.” I ate a blueberry bagel and we headed out.

“How much sleep did you get?” he asked as we got in the car.

“Not enough.”

He placed his hand on my cheek, touching my half inch long scar. “Don't let it get to you.” I only nodded in response.

After a while I asked, “Didn't you work all night?”

“Yes.”

“And you came straight to get me afterward?”

“Yes.”

“You didn't sleep?”

“I told you I don't have to sleep as much as you do. I'm good.”

“Thank you.” I whispered. He gave a quick smile. After a few silent moments I said, “Dan can I ask you something?”

“Go on.”

“Don't take this the wrong way, but...” I stopped.

“Tourie, what's on your mind?”

“Did you have anything, anything at all to do with what happened to Stephanie.”

“No.” he said, not looking at me only ahead. “But you think I might have.”

“After what you did to Jay-”

“You don't trust me.”

“That's not it. I was just wondering, is all.” I shouldn't have even said anything.”

“It's alright. I'll admit that I thought about hurting her, thought about killing her even, but I made a promise to you.” he finally looked over at me, “And I believe in the given word.” he didn't sound upset or anything but I suddenly felt bad for accusing him.

“I'm sorry.” I whispered

“It's fine, sweetheart. It's good that you're crossing all T's and dotting all I's. Better to be safe than sorry. Listen, I'm going to leave the car with you so you can get home from work, then you're going to get some proper rest.”

“You don't have to do that.” he had done enough already.

“I can go over to one of the clubs and get a car. I'll be fine.”

“You have cars waiting at your clubs?”

“Something like that.” he smirked. “Do you have it with you?”

I patted my jeans where the pocketknife was alongside my lipgloss and my purse where the pepper spray sat within easy reach.

“Good.” After a minute he said, “Promise me you'll get some sleep when you get home.”

“I'll try.” I sighed. “Will you stay with me tonight?”

I hated the vulnerability in my voice but Dan just smiled and tenderly said, “Always.”

That afternoon the security company Dan had called came by and showed me and Bren how to work everything. Brens only worry was how we were going to pay for it.

“Don't worry ma'am.” the alarm installer said, “Mr. Cooper's paid for everything.”

“Mr. Cooper?” Bren said, scrunching up her face and looking to me.

“Daniel.” I said although I had no clue that was his last name.

Dan showed up just before the guy was leaving to make sure everything had went smoothly. I had thought maybe after this morning he wouldn't bother coming by but here he was, smiling a crooked smile as he watched me make dinner. That was one thing I really liked about Dan, he rolled with the punches, nothing really seemed to phase him for too long.

Bren kept thanking him for his generosity. He told her it was no big deal.

“You need to rest.” he whispered as I cleared the table after dinner. "You look tired."

“I'm fine.” I insisted but my eyelids felt heavier now.

He scoffed and made me go upstairs. I kept insisting I was fine but as soon as my head hit the pillow I was done for. It was a peaceful sleep. And badly needed.

Daniel was holding me loosely when I suddenly woke up in the middle of the night. I wasn't sure what had woke me but Dan murmured sleepily in my ear, pulled me closer and I drifted back under again, comfortable content in his arms.

~~~~~


“So,” Cass said as we made out way down the hall between cleaning rooms the next day. “Spill.”

“I don't know what you're talking about.” I said, keeping my eyes focused ahead. I had been dreading this moment.

“Victouria Mulligan.” Oh no, she was using my real name.

“Cass.” I drawled.

“Just tell me. Was it good?”

I blushed and looked away.

“I knew it.” she exclaimed.

“Shh. Shut up.”

I opened the door to the room we had to clean next, it was empty so no need to knock, and went over to the bed.

“Come on, best friend. You're supposed to give me all the details. I saw that hickey he gave you.” Thank god that was all she thought it was.

“I had a good time.” was all I said.

“Uh-huh.” She smiled widely. “I'm glad. It's nice to see you happy again.”

I frowned. “Had I not been?”

She shrugged and grabbed the vacuum cleaner. “When you were with Jay I knew things weren't well with you guys, and even last week you sometimes seemed... lost.” Had my pain been so obvious? If she saw it, who else had? “I know what Jay had put you through was horrible, so it's no surprise you weren't yourself. And all this new stress about the truck and Aaron bothering you about Daniel. But now you're back. All it took was a little bow chicka wow wow. So was he skilled? He looked like he knows what he's doing.”

I shook my head and laughed. “You're an idiot.”

She giggled. “Takes one to know one, doll.”

The rest of the week was uneventful Dan and I went out to dinner at Angus's again on Wednesday and hung out at Midnight which had a mellower vibe then Bloody Hell. It too had a secret vampire hang out, but was much smaller and no stripper poles or Pleasure Rooms.

Thursday I saw Stephanie as I made my way home in Dan's car. Her house was on the route I took that day. She was out by her car, by the looks of it she was just getting home. She wore sunglasses and a hat but I could see the bruises on her cheek and chin. She saw me as I drove by but quickly turned her back on me, a look of shame on her normally beautiful face.

Why did I suddenly feel sorry for her? Maybe because in a way she was just like me, charmed in by a man that continually hurt us. With me luckily it had only been words up until the end that is. But Steph was getting the worse, his fist and no doubt constant threats. But she knew he was going to kill you, I reminded myself, And she did nothing to stop him. She's no better than him. So had she gotten her just deserts? I debated this with myself all the was home, conflicted.