Sequel: Hurts Like Heaven
Status: Complete.

Bliss and Bloodlust

Chapter Twenty-Four.

I had made to go back home several times already before sucking it up and driving to the bar. Bloody Hell was packed as it usually is on Saturday nights and I went through the back entrance. It was only my third time here but the bouncer let me with no problem and Carlos was waiting for me as I entered.

“Hello, Tourie.” he said in a voice that I assume usually melts hearts but had no effect on me, to his utter disappointment.

“Carlos.” I said byway of greeting. He walked at my side as we made our way through the back.

“Hendrik's here.” he said in a dreary voice.

I gave him a sideways look. “Great.” I couldn't hide my worry. Carlos smiled at me, fangs and all.

“I know he'll be delighted to see you've returned. He likes your smell.”

I gulped. “So I've heard.” I whispered.

“Where's your friend? Cassie was it?”

“Home.”

“Pity. You should have brought her with you. She's something.”

“Not gonna happen.”

He scoffed, “Are you afraid I'll hurt her? She seems thought. I'd b more afraid she'll hurt me.”

We went past the human bar and to the hidden door that lead to the vampire one. “We're you sent to be my babysitter?” I asked when he continued walking with me.

“Please.” he scoffed. “We're both simply going the same way, is all.”

“Is that right? So you're not manning the helm up here tonight?” I jerked my thumb behind me.

“No. Thank God,” I got the feeling that Carlos would rather be staked than to deal with the humans in there, well, save for the ones he liked anyway.

When stepped into the elevator, and once the doors closed he raised his eyebrows. “You really do smell good.”

Okay, that made me even more uncomfortable but I tried not to let it show. But vampires could sense fear and Carlos smirked at whatever scent I was giving off. A predators smirk. I made sure to keep him in my line of sight, not that I think he'd be stupid enough to try anything, but if he did I could do nothing to stop him.

After this morning with Daniel I was keenly aware of my reactions around the vamps. I didn't want to give anyone my reason to try anything on me.

Carlos whispered something in Spanish then said in English, “You're lucky Daniel is such a good friend otherwise I would have had you all to myself by now. You and your delectable friend.”

Wow, that made things even more weird and made me want to squirm away from him. The elevator stopped, just in the nick of time, and the doors opened. I stopped myself from running out. Carlos gestured for me to go first. I stepped into the bar with him at my back, and I tried to shake off my fear, fear was dangerous in a room full of vampires, and I walked slowly to the bar. I'm not sure where Carlos went off to, so long as it was away from me I didn't care.

I saw Dan's biker friends Matthew and Natasha at a table with the dark skinned vamp I saw the first night I was here. Were the two of them vamps too? Henrik was at a table talking to several people, whether they're human or vampire I couldn't tell. He continued his conversation but his strange eyes watched me as I crossed the room and sat down at my stool. I shuddered.

Tina smiled at me. “Hey, gorgeous. Daniel is in the back.” she informed me.

“Yeah, I know. Could I get a rum and coke?”

“Sure, sweet cheeks.” She winked and went to it.

There was a couple seated a few stools down from me. Both I could tell were human and they looked rather nervous. The man was holding his glass so tight I thought it would break, and the woman was speaking to him in whispers which did no good 'cause if a vampire wanted to hear you, they could. She was trying to smile but it didn't sit to well on her face.

Tina handed me my drink, bring my attention back to her. I drank swiftly. She handed me another before I could ask. “Are you feeling okay?” she asked.

“Yeah. Peachy.”

“Liar.” she said to me. Tina was easy to talk to, a young vampire, only seventy eight in vampire years and she was similar to Dan in the sense that the they both don't brood or are as moody as the other vampires. I like her, she has a sense of humour which I found out is a rarity in their kind.

“It's been a rough few weeks.” I admitted.

“Then in that case, I'll make you another drink, something stronger.”

“Please do.”

As she turned her back on me she asked, “It's not Daniel, is it?”

Me and Dan hadn't talked much since the this morning, and things had been a bit strained between us. After I got home I lied in bed and thought everything he told me over. It was a lot to take in and I knew things might be different between us now. But he had told me to meet him here tonight, and I, not wanting him to think I was afraid, agreed to come.

“No. No.” I partially lied, then add, “It's humans.”

“You say that as if you aren't one yourself.” She handed me another drink.

I sat chatting with Tina while I drank. I could feel Henrik's strange eyes burning holes into me but I stayed cool and he kept his distance, probably because both Tina and Daniel would tear him a new one if he bothered me.

Tina stared behind me and I turned around in time to see Daniel walking towards the Pleasure Rooms. The fierce look on his face told me something was wrong. He got to the doors and his eyes scanned the room until they found mine. He tore his gaze away from mine and glanced behind me then went pass the bouncers and through the doors.

“What's going on?” I said as I turned back to Tina, her face gave nothing away. She didn't seem to hear me so I asked again.

This time she answered. “I'm not sure but I had an idea. Stay here.”

She hopped over the bar and before she got away I grabbed her arm. “Tell me, what's going on?”

She looked down at my hand on her arm. I quickly let go. “I think someone's hurt.” she told me in a barely audible whisper, “...or worse. I'll be right back. Stay put.”

“No, I'm coming with you.”

She turned her blackening eyes to me. “Oh no, Daniel will kill me.”

“Well I don't want to be out here not knowing.”

“Stay. I'll be back in a minute.”

“Fine.” I said through gritted teeth. No point in arguing with someone who could rip you in two.

She went briskly to the doors. She had a brief, but hushed argument with the bouncers and then they let her through.

“That can't be good.” I whispered to myself.

“No, it can't.” Henrick said and I jumped. He was sitting next to me. He had been half way across the room a few second ago. “Did I startle you?”

“Ya, think?”

He smirked, “The lovely Tourie.”

The other bar patrons, the humans at least, were starting to look worried and or confused as a few more vampires made their way back to the Pleasure Rooms.

I didn't turn to see his face but kept him in my peripheral. “You look mouth watering this evening.”

I swallowed hard, a sound I'm sure he could hear. If Carlos made me uncomfortable, Henrik made me feel like running and hiding three states away. This man was millenniums old and that alone was enough to make me want to run for the hills. I kept my hand on my purse, the stake was in there. I rubbed it absently. Keep it cool, Tourie, I told myself.

Henrik looked ahead at the double doors of the Pleasure Rooms, no expression on his face but his weird eyes were cold. “I can smell blood.”

“Well isn't that what those rooms are for?” I blurted out.

“Yes, my dear, but the bloodshed in there now seems to be much more than just a nibble.”

I couldn't help but ask, “Does this happen a lot?”

“Not here.”

I grew impatient, my worry for Daniel was enough to make me want to break the doors down, even though I knew it was a stupid idea. Tina returned a minute later and came to my side, gave Henrik a hard glance which he ignored, then took my arm and led me to the elevators.

“Daniel told me to tell you to go home,” she handed me a key, Daniel's house key. “He said once he sorted this all out he'll be there.”

“I'm not a child.”

“But you're not a vamp either.” She said coldly.

“What's happened Tina? Tell me.”

“Someone lost control.”

“And?”

“It's not good.” I huffed a sigh.

“I've been drinking I'm in no condition to drive.” I said as I realized how many drinks Tina served me and I felt tipsy. She gave me an almost motherly scold.

“Alright. Come on.” She led me to the back where Daniel's office is. We went in and she brought me back a huge mug of steaming hot black coffee. “Sober up, kid.” And with that she left.

I sipped on the coffee slowly. I'm not a coffee person but I knew I needed to get a clear head and Tina was right, I'm no vamp, I needed to be away before something else happened. Something bad.

The office door opened suddenly and in walked Angelina, tall and sleek and beautiful. She was wearing a pencil skirt and an expensive looking ruffled blouse, making me feel ugly and poor in my cheap get up. Her face turned cold and hard upon seeing me sitting here.

“Hello.” I said stupidly and in a shaky voice. I cleared my throat.

She barely acknowledged my presence as she walked over to Daniel's desk where I was seated and grabbed a folder then stalked out of the room.

Well, that went well, I thought. I let out the breath I hadn't known I was holding as the door shut. I put my head in my hands and tried to relax, but the door opened again and I looked up to see Angelina once more. She stood with a hand on her hip and her green eyes were like gemstones. I straightened in my seat.

“What are you doing in here?” she asked in a flat voice.

“Waiting on Dan.” I lied.

Her expression never changed. “You must be Tourie.” she said my name as if it hurt.

“Yes, and you're Angelina.”

“Yes I am. So Daniel told you about me.”

“No but I saw you here before but I guess you wouldn't remember me.” But of course Daniel had told her about me, how else would she know my name.

“You're right. I wouldn't.”

God she's a bitch, a beautiful one too, but I know it's best to stay on a vampires good side rather than piss them off. So I relaxed and leaned back in Daniel chair. I don't care that she's his “sister” I didn't have to like her. She stood there, staring daggers into me.

“My brother has a knack for picking the wrong girl, don't think you're special.”

I laughed bitterly, harshly, a sound that I was surprised to hear coming out of my mouth. “I never thought I was. And I have a knack for picking the wrong men, so there you go.”

I swear I saw a smile cross her cold face before she shut the door again. This time I got up and locked it, not that it would really help anything. I went back to my coffee and paced the office.

The last time I was here I really hadn't taken the time to look at all the tiny details, like the picture of Dan and former the mayor on one wall. He knew the mayor? And another picture of Dan, Tina and Angelina sitting at the bar here at Bloody Hell and another one of Dan in his aviators standing next to a man I didn't know with New York City as the backdrop. By the look of his clothes it could have been the 70's.

My curiosity got the better of me as I sat at his desk and I turned on his computer. It was a stupid invasion of privacy but I couldn't help it. I took another sip of coffee, feeling less tipsy, and waited. But it was password protected and I hadn't a clue what his password could be. So I shut it down. My eyes wondered for a moment then came upon a picture in a small frame atop of one of his bookshelves. If you weren't looking up you wouldn't really notice it.

It was of me. But not a picture I remember him taking.

I was standing in my front yard, frowning slightly with the sun in my eyes, my hair blowing a little in the wind. But I was not looking at the camera and I can't remember the last time I had worn that shirt as well. I definitely don't recall Daniel being there. This was beyond weird. A chill crept up my spine. By the angle of the picture he could have been standing in the woods. Had Daniel been spying on me?

I got up and made my way back out to the bar. Tina was back making drinks and I gave her a small wave as I reached the elevators. I know she'd let Daniel know I left. I really didn't want to be here anymore.

As I waited for the elevator to come down I heard a loud crash and turned around. I saw a man, the same man, I later figured out, who was sitting nervously at the bar earlier, burst out of the doors. He was covered head to toe in blood, his eyes were crazed and locked on mine as he stood outside the doors of the Pleasure Room. One of the bouncers grabbed him by the neck and lifted him into the air but the mans fist hit the bouncer so hard in the face that he swayed and lost his grip.

The man fell and got to his feet and was about to come my way when Daniel, blood covered as well, fangs and dark eyes and all, caught him and threw him to the ground. The bar patrons, the few that were still here, were watching in amazement. I barely heard the elevator doors open when Tina appeared in front of me, and pushed me in. She gave me a fangy smile and then the doors were closed.

What had just happened? A chill swept over me, I wrapped my arms around myself and as the doors opened to the upper levels Carlos appeared out of thin air, well not literally, but still I jumped and clutched at my heart.

“Didn't mean to startle you.” he said but I could tell he enjoyed it. “Let's get you out of here.”

He and I briskly walked out into the cool spring air and he escorted me to my truck. I didn't speak a word to him and drove off quickly, cursing my fear

I wasn't sure what was happening underground in the bar but I wanted to be far away from here. My thoughts turned to Dan. Was he going to bite the man? Was Tina? And just how had the man knockout the bouncer who clearly was a vampire? Where was the woman who was with him?

Too many questions swam around my head for there to be any clear answer, and I'd have none until Dan and I talked. I tried not to drive too fast and I was so spooked that I jumped when my phone rang. I answered it without looking to see who it was, thinking it might be Daniel.

“Dan.” I said in a quiet voice.

“Tourie?” Stephanie's high voice spoke.

If I hadn't been paying attention I would have crashed into the car in front of me. I nearly hung up but instead I said, “Steph, what is it?” My voice cold and odd to my ears.

“I just wanted to say sorry.”

“You've already said that before.” I said impatiently. Broken record much?

“I know and I just wanted to make sure you knew I truly am. I want us to be friends.”

“Why? Did he try to kill you too?”

“Tourie.” she said tiredly.

“Don't you 'Tourie' me. I'm not sure what game you and he are playing but I just want to live my life in peace, and you being in it would contradict that.”

“I know that everything that has happened in the past I can't change but I want to at least make amends.”

“No, sorry. Too little, too late.” I hung up. Before she could get in another word edgewise.

I was tired and the last thing I needed was Stephanie looking for redemption and trying to be my friend, it was laughable.

Before I realized where I was headed I arrived at Daniel's. I had intended to go home, not sure if I was ready to deal with him just yet, but I was too tired to drive home. So I went upstairs, it was just after two am. I took a quick shower and slipped into one of his t-shirts and a pair of his boxer-briefs, which were soft cotton and felt good against my skin.

As I climbed into his king sized bed I was still thinking of the picture of me in Dan's office. He had said once, that the camera doesn't do me justice. I hadn't thought much about it, and now all I could do was think. He had taken a few picture of me, a few of us together as well and I had seen all of those. Dan liked taking pictures, it was a hobby he broke out on occasion. One of us dancing at Bloody Hell, another of us just after we left that fancy French place, another one of me sleeping bed on his bed, looking rather peaceful and a few other ones. But did he have more?

I got out of bed and on impulse looked through a few of his drawers, privacy be damned. I found a small metal box in his underwear drawer with a few more photos like the one in his office. Why did he have pictures of me from before we met? It was odd and a bit creepy. I needed to speak to him about this. And about the incident at the bar.

I yawned, put the box back and tried wait up for him to get home but I fell asleep instead. Sometime late I felt Daniel crawling into bed beside me. But something was off. It wasn't Dan.