Sequel: Hurts Like Heaven
Status: Complete.

Bliss and Bloodlust

Chapter Three.

We walked side by side with moonlight peeking through the trees. I sighed, somehow knowing that he wanted to talk about something serious.

“Do you love me?” He asked once we stopped by the willow, his gray eyes bore deeply into mine.

“Of course I love you, baby.” I said softly, but his eyes were skeptical now.

He snatched his hand away. “Do you still have feelings for Aaron?”

“What? No we're just friends.” I said, frowning.

“Well that's not what I heard.”

“What have you heard Jayson?” I asked, annoyed and crossing my arms over my chest.

“That you two were sneaking around.”

“Do you know how ridiculous you sound right now?” I laughed, trying not to get too angry. “Your jealousy has gotten the better of you, dear.”

“Are you fucking him, Tourie?”

“No, Jayson. What has gotten into you?”

“I don't believe you. I see how he is around you, there's something going on. I'm sure of it. You can't be friends with him anymore. I forbid it.” His hands were balled into fist at his side.

“You forbid it? You've lost your mind haven't you. You can't tell me who I can and can't be friends with.”

“You belong to me.” he snarled.

“I'm not your property!” I exclaimed. “I don't belong to anyone.” I took a deep breath. “I think we should go back to the house and talk this over rationally, okay.”

“There's nothing to discuss, that friendship has to end. NOW!”

I was taken aback by how angry he was becoming. Did he really think so little of me that he thought I would sleep with Aaron or anyone else for that matter? I knew he was a possessive and jealous but I never knew he'd try to dictate my friendships. This was getting out of hand.

He moved closer to me and I stepped back knocking into the tree. He stopped two feet in front of me and said sternly, “You'll do as I say.”

“No, I won't.”

“You need to think about what I'm saying. You need to end whatever it is that's going on between you and Aaron. Got it?”

“You are making all these accusations but it only makes you seem guilty of something. Are you?” He laughed nervouly.

“Who is she?” I asked in a voice steadier than I felt.

“What makes you think I'm with someone?”

“Look I may be naive but I'm not dumb. Call it woman's intuition. I should have noticed the signs.” I shook my head. He didn't answer.

Either he was the worlds most charming liar or I was the worlds biggest fool. Or both.

“You know what I'm going to do?” I said after a moment of silence. “I'm going to go back home, I'm going to take a shower, and go to bed. It's been a long day. As for you, I don't think I want to see you anymore if this is going to act. It's not worth it.”

I went to the right, about to walk away when he grabbed my arm roughly.

“You're not leaving me. You're not going to fucking leave me. We're not done talking.”

“Take your hand off of me Jayson. Now.” I said firmly but I was afraid

“I gave you everything but it wasn't enough. You ungrateful bitch. EVERYTHING!” he yelled.

I was so angry, so hurt, frightened and shaken. Not a good combination.

He pushed me away then and I stumbled, trying to keep my balance but I went down to one knee, scraping it. When I got back on my feet there was a gun in his hand.

The silence around us was chilling. The woods, normally so full of life and noise seemed to be holding it's breath, anticipating want would happen next.

“What the... what are you doing?” I asked in a shaky whisper.

“You should have listened.” he said through his teeth, “You should have did what you were told.”

“What are you doing?” I asked again trying to remain calm. “Think about what you're doing.”

“Do you love me?”

“Kind of hard to answer while you've got that gun in your hand.”

“Answer the goddamn question!” His voice echoed all around us.

“Yes.” I whispered. “So why don't you put that away so we can talk.“

“No, sorry. I can't do that.” He didn't sound sorry, if anything he sounded amused. “This will be for the best. In the end.” He cocked the gun.

“The best for who? You love me so much you're gonna kill me. This is so very romantic.” I said with a humorless laugh. I was trying not to cry but my voice was already breaking. “What's her name?”

“What does it matter now?”

“It matters to me.” I said “Give me the piece of mind.” A tear ran down my cheek.

“Stephanie.” Was his answer.

“My friend, Stephanie?” When he didn't give a reply it was all the conformation I needed.

Yup, I'm the worlds biggest fool.

“I hope it was worth it. I really do.” He lowered the gun, now it was positioned at my chest instead of my head. He was quiet. “How long?” I asked.

“A few months.”

“Hmm. Well I hope you'll be happy.” I whispered. “I never betrayed you. It never even crossed my mind.” I was crying hard now. Big tears streaked my face. I knew there was no way out of this.

“It's too late now.” He said to me in a dead voice.

“So what was your plan, get me to confess to being with Aaron, and when that fell through tell me to stop being friends with him and when I didn't agree you'd kill me.” I moved my hand to wipe my eyes but thought better of it. “Nice plan.”

“There was no plan.”

“So why the gun?” I asked.

I had to keep him talking. I was trying to buy time that I really didn't have.

“You hurt me Tourie, you went behind my back, you went back to him. What was I to do, huh?”

“So is this supposed to be revenge? I never went back with Aaron. I never cheated. You thought I did so you had sex with Stephanie to get even? And now what?” I raised my voice. “You're going to kill me?”

“I need you to see that you never should have betray me. And even if you're telling the truth about Aaron, you still hurt me. Whenever you have a problem you always run to Aaron or Cassie. What about me? You're mine not his, you're supposed to come to me.” He threw his other hand up in frustration.

“Why her?”

“I knew it would hurt you. And I can't help what I feel.”

What he feels?

“Does she know... about this?”

When he didn't answer I took it as a yes.

“You're insane.” I exclaimed. “Insane.” I took in a shaky breath. “Just do it.” I already accepted my fate.

“Tourie, it didn't have to be this way.” he said as if it made things better.

In the most steady voice I could muster I said, “I hope both in burn hell.”

Then he pulled he trigger.


I again woke suddenly from my sleep and saw that the clock read 4:12. I stared at it for another minute in the darkness, not quite awake I noticed a shadow move by my bed.

“Jesus Christ, you scared me.” I exclaimed.

“I'm sorry.” Daniel, the supposed vampire, said moving even closer to the bed.

He was sitting in the same position he was when I fell asleep his hands folded on his lap. I had thought it, the incident a few hours ago, was all a crazy dream. But his presence here made it all too real. He touched my hand then. "How do you feel?" he asked.

"Okay, I guess."

He turned on the lamp on the nightstand, causing me to shield my eyes from the light. When my eyes adjusted I stared at him.

"I was worried about you." he said in a low concerned voice. "but you seem to be on the mend and fast I might say." he smiled a small smile so quick that if I wasn't already looking at his face I might have missed it.

“Yeah I feel better." But it wasn't saying much.

I stretched slowly, arching my back. I pull the covers carefully back and stretch a bit more He stared down at me midsection. So I lifted my tee and look down at my belly but see nothing but a tiny scar that was a bit red and sensitive to the touch. You'd never know there was a bullet there mere hours ago. I then swung my legs over the side of the bed to face him. He was maybe two feet away from me, his pale face looked worried.

"You don't seem afraid." he said as if he couldn't believe it.

"Cause I'm not."

"That's interesting. Most people's natural reaction is to be afraid of my kind. They realize that we're different and tend to stay away."

"Well besides the fangs I don't find you scary at all."

"So my fangs scared you?"

"A little... at first." That seemed to satisfy him for some reason.

"You need some more rest, lie down."

"What about you, aren't you tired?"

He only smiled a wicked little smile that made me lose my breath for a moment. “No. I'm not tired.”

“So you do sleep?”

“Yes. I sleep like you do."

“Really?” I said surprised. “You actually sleep?”

“Yes.” He chuckled. “I sleep, dream, eat, drink, like you.”

Interesting. “I though vampires could only consume blood.” I said in a raspy whisper.

“You thought wrong. We're closer to human than some of us would like to admit. But blood is our life source.”

“So can consume food and drink, and it won't harm you.”

"That's right. You should see a drunk vampire.” he paused. “No wait, on second thought, you really shouldn't."

“You can get drunk?”

“It takes a lot of liquor, but yeah. But it burns out of our system pretty quickly.”

Since he was opening up to me I asked "How long have you been a vampire?"

He didn't answer, just brought his face closer to mine and closed his eyes. I moved back an inch and he said with his eyes closed "It's something I don't talk about. maybe I'll tell you someday." His eyes opened then.

I did something neither he nor I expected. On impulse I placed a hand on his cheek. He grabbed hold of my wrist so fast I didn't see it coming. I was startled. We stared in each others eyes for a moment, then he shook himself.

"I apologize." he said releasing my wrist. "Did I hurt you?"

I moved back, never taking my eyes off the vamp. "No" I said shortly rubbing my wrist a little. "I was just... Sorry."

"I just didn't know you would do that. I'm sorry. I'll leave if it's what you want."

"No, you don't have to leave." I whispered then a bit louder sarcastically I added, “I'll just make sure to keep my hands to myself from now on." To which he smiled.

"I like your hand, it's was soft."

"If it was so soft then why did you nearly break my wrist?"

"Because... it's hard to explain"

"I've got time" I said, repeating his words from earlier, as I sat up in bed with my legs crossed Indian style even though it hurt to do so. He saw the slight discomfort play out on mt face but uttered not a word.

"Okay then. I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but" he paused for a minute his face softened. "You smell delicious" he said then.

I stared at him wide eyed. "Okay." I murmured soft and slowly.

"Delicious... Divine..." he licked his lips. “Rather exquisite."

Oh shit, I thought, knowing he was getting excited. I remembered that had taken some of his blood earlier. Was his blood getting low now because of that? From what I knew of vampires, which wasn't much apparently, he probably needed to feed.

"Are you getting hungry?" I asked cautiously, then kicked myself for doing it.

"Yes" he said simply but with an undertone of danger. I was getting a bit frightened as his fangs begun to show. "Don't worry. I won't feed from you. I promise you that."

"Thanks a million" I said sarcastically. Maybe not the thing to do, but it was my defense mechanism. I began to relax when his fangs started to retract.

"Did I frighten you?" he asked softly.

I only nodded this time to afraid too speak. We were silent for a long and just looked at one another.

I spoke first "Why don't you go and find something to... er, drink or eat or whatever you call it."

He stood up then and so did I, even though it hurt. I'm a good seven or eight inches short than he is so I had to look up to see his face. We're standing very close, only about an inch or so between our bodies.

"Thanks for, uh, saving my life and all" I said awkwardly.

"Was my pleasure" He licked his lips again.

Despite my initial fear I have to admit I felt safe having him near. He licked his lips again very slowly as if for my benefit. Does he know how sexy he looks doing that? I'm sure he does. I shook my head to rid myself of the thought that had popped into my mind.

He then scooped me up and I was back in bed. “You need to be off your feet.” he told me. Once I was tucked in again he said, “I better go. But I'll come back... if it's what you desire.” Yes, I desired a lot of things at this moment. I nodded to answer him. “Good. And in my absence please be safe.”

I suddenly felt annoyed. “It wasn't like I wanted to get shot. Shit happens, you know.”

He chuckled. “I know, but just avoid going near him.“ He said the last word with as much contempt he could muster. “Who knows what he'll do if he sees you're still breathing.”

“Why are you so protective of me?” I asked because I didn't get it.

He didn't answer just said, “Promise me you'll be safe.”

“I promise I'll be safe. Besides there's a whole other world out there that before tonight I wasn't aware of. I think I wanna stick around to discover more of it.”

He frowned. "My world's a dangerous place, Tourie" He said seriously.

"I'm very aware of that Dan." I said playfully, surprising myself at how calm I felt now.

He smiled and after he turned off the light he kissed my forehead. He left a few moments later, going out the way he came in, through the door.

Funny, I had half expected him to turn into a bat and fly out of the window.