Sequel: Hurts Like Heaven
Status: Complete.

Bliss and Bloodlust

Chapter Six.

I spent Monday alone. I didn't want to leave the house, I didn't want to do anything at all. I lied in bed, crying. I rubbed the tiny pink scar on my belly at least a hundred times today. I kept wanting to believe things would go back to the way they were.

That I never knew vampires existed. That Jayson hadn't tried to kill me. That Stephanie hadn't betrayed our friendship. That I would feel whole again. That this was all a bad dream. It wasn't. And he realization that things would never be the same again, made me feel even worse.

I talked to Cassie a little and she said she had spoken to Stephanie during her lunch hour. She told Cassie she hadn't heard from me, but her face and voice told a different story.

I thought about going over to the diner Stephanie worked at more than once but got cold feet. What if she tried something? What if she called Jayson? Wait, Jayson was incapacitated at the moment, and even though Daniel hadn't told me what injuries he had inflicted upon my ex, I knew it was bad. Even without the possibility of Jayson showing up I still couldn't find the courage to see my former friend and confront her.

I thought a bit about Daniel, whom hadn't returned, but I somehow knew he wasn't going to come by. I ate only a little bit and once the sun was down I crawled beneath the covers and fell into another nightmarish slumber.

~~~~~


4:30 on Tuesday morning I woke up feeling groggy and irritable, despite the vampire blood coursing through my veins. I dragged myself out of bed and got ready. I drove to work around five thirty. Cassie made the day less dull, but I was still in a mood.

“You sleep okay?” Cass asked me as we finished lunch. I made a noncommittal sound and waved my hand around.

“That bad, eh?” I nodded.

We worked together in silence, but my mind was spinning. Some little voice in my head said I needed to see Stephanie. I knew It was silly but I needed to. I told Cassie about what I planned on doing.

“You sure that's a good idea?”

“No. But will you come with me?”

She didn't hesitate to say yes.

So after work we both drove to Cassie's place and I parked my pickup and we drove to the diner in Cassie's car. I felt so nervous I thought I would be sick. Once there I almost wanted to back out.

“Come on.” Cassie urged. “You didn't make me drive all this way for nothing.” She practically dragged me from the car.

Once inside I felt my nervousness dissolve once I saw her.

Stephanie, a tall, beautiful brunette of nineteen had been mine and Cassie's friend since junior high.

Jayson and his friend Trey began hanging out with us in the tenth grade. Jayson had a crush on me from day one but I was with Aaron, my ex, at the time. So it wasn't until our senior year, after Aaron and I broke up, that I even knew of Jayson's feelings. As far as I remember he had never showed the slightest interest in Stephanie, so how there relationship turned from friendly to sexual is a mystery to me. Throughout high school she always a boyfriend, but as of late appeared to be single, now I knew why.

Stephanie's back was to us picking up an order. We sat down in her section and when she turned around and saw me her jaw dropped and she dropped the dishes in her hand.

I gave her a falsely bright smile and a wave. Cassie looked from one of us to the other. When she came to her senses, Stephanie began backing up even as her manager yelled something about cleaning up her mess. But she ran to the back before anyone could stop her.

“Well that was something” Cassie said. “Talk about seeing a ghost.”

“Well I was right, she knew about Jayson's plan.” I said in a whispered voice.

“So what now?”

“She'll have to face us sooner or later, her shift isn't over yet.”

“May I take your order?” Said another waitress who's name tag read Jessica. I didn't recognize her, she must be new.

“Where's Steph?” Cassie asks as she pretends to look over the menu. We came here often enough to know what to order without looking.

“Uh,” she paused, “She's on break but she'll be back 'round the time ya'll order comes up.”

On break my ass.

We ordered drinks and said we'd wait for Stephanie to return. The waitress returned with our drinks a few minutes later. Stephanie's section was filling up and she emerged from the back after another few minutes. I got the feeling that while on her “break” she called her lover boy to break the news that I was very much alive

After deliberately avoiding our table for a few more minutes she had no choice but to come over.

“Hey guys.” She said, her voice an octave higher than normal.

“Hey yourself. How have you been Steph?” I asked in a calm voice.

“Great.” she squealed. “Hey, everyone's been worried about you. No one could get a hold of you all weekend. I'm glad you're okay.” Her face was worried.

“I bet you are.” I said dryly. “So have you talked to Jayson yet?”

“Why, why would I talk to, to Jayson?” she stammered.

“Oh, well seeing as you two are fucking each others brains out I thought you might have wanted to share the news that I'm not dead after all.” I took a sip of my lemonade then waiting for her reply.

Her face was shocked.

“I don't know what you mean, I'm not sleeping with Jayson, I-” I cut her off before she could try to lie her way out of it.

“Oh, cut the bullshit. I know what's been going on. Your fuck buddy told me everything before he tried to off me.”

She looked scared now, her eyes widened. “Seriously Tourie, I don't know what's going on. And what do you mean you're not dead? Well, of you're course not.” She said with a nervous laugh.

“Stop playing dumb Steph, lies will get you nowhere.”

“Cassie, what is she going on about?”

Cass folded her arms. “I dunno Steph. Looks like you've got some 'splaining to do. ”

“You were supposed to be my friend and this is how you do me.” I said, my cool demeanor fading.

“I didn't do anything.” she said, a little angry now and she was sweating slightly.

Geez, she was crumbling under the pressure. Why he thought she could keep this secret beats me. If she got this nervous around me I can't imagine what she'd do if the police questioned her.

One of her tables was trying to get her attention. Stephanie stared at me in disbelief for a moment longer, then without another word shook herself, turned and walked away.

“Wow. She was terrified.” Cassie said.

“Yeah.” I took a deep breath then stood up. “Let's go.”

We put our money for our drinks, no tip, on the table and walked out the door.

“What do you think she's going to do.” I asked as we drove back to Cassie's one bedroom flat just outside of downtown.

“Dunno?” Cassie said as she looked ahead. “She's probably going to go see Jayson after her shift or he'll see her. But what's the worst they could do?”

“Try and kill me again.” I muttered.

“Oh... right.” She put a hand on my shoulder. “Don't worry. I don't think even he will be that dumb to try it again.”

I scoffed. They were dumb enough the first time.

“What did you mean by 'you're not dead'?”

“Cass, I can't explain it but he did try to kill me.” When she said nothing I asked, “You don't believe me?”

“I suppose. I mean, why would you make up something like that? Plus the reaction she gave you.” She sighed. “Promise me you'll explain it all to me one day.”

I smiled, “I promise.”

When we got there we ordered a pizza and Aaron came over.

Yes, Aaron my ex, the one Jayson thought I was sleeping with. Aaron was a big guy, around six two, handsome, muscular, with dark hair and eyes. Even after our break up three years ago we remained friends, I believe it's what we were better suited to be anyway.

It was around six when he got there. “Hey.” he said and gave me a big bear hug. “Where have you been? I called you and came by. I thought you were with Jayson but he said he hadn't seen you.”

“When did you come by?” I asked.

“Saturday... around noon.” That's when I was taking my fourteen hour catnap.

“I was asleep. I just wanted to be alone, sorry I had you worried. And by the way I broke up with Jayson.”

He sat down next to Cassie on the couch. I sat in the Lay-Z-boy with my feet curled beneath me.

“Sorry Tourie. He didn't mention it.”

“Why would he?”

“What happened? Sorry. You don't have to tell me if you don't wan to.” he said in a hurried voice.

“It's okay. He cheated on me... with Steph.”

“What?” he exclaimed. “That motherfucker. That's crazy. Are you okay?”

“It's fine. I'm fine.” I assured him.

“No you're not. I can see it on your face.”

I sighed. “Do me a favour. Don't believe anything they say. I can't really elaborate any further, but just don't trust them.” then I added. “They're both lying manipulating assholes.”

He thought that over. “Tell me what else is going on.” When I wouldn't he asked Cassie, she shook her head. “C'mon guys what the fuck is going on? I don't wanna be out of the loop.”

“Let's just say the Jayson tried to do something bad and Steph was in on it.”

“Was it to you?” He asked, worry and anger spreading across his face.

I hesitate then said, “Don't worry about it. It's over.”

“I'll kill him.” He said in a eerily quiet voice.

“Aaron!” Cassie half yelled.

“What? I don't mean it literally. I'm just a little pissed alright. Geez Cassie.” He laughed but his eyes told me that he was serious.

I didn't want to drag Aaron into my shit fest any further than he was already in. It was bad enough Cassie knew what she did. If Aaron knew the whole truth he would wind up in jail for double murder.

“Just know I'm here for you Tourie, always.”

“I know Aaron, thanks. You guys hungry cause I'm starving. Let's eat.” I gave him a reassuring smile and a look that said I was closing the conversation.

He didn't looked convinced that all was okay but he dropped the subject all the same. At least for now.