Sequel: Hurts Like Heaven
Status: Complete.

Bliss and Bloodlust

Chapter Nine.

I drove over to Cassie's a little later on. I was so sure she was home that I hadn't bothered to call. But when I got over there she was gone. I got back in my truck and called her.

“Hey Tourie, what's up?” she said after she answered.

“Hey. Where are you? I'm over at your place.”

“Oh.... um, I'm at my moms.” she rushed out.

“Your moms?” I questioned. She never really went to her mom's place.

“Yeah, she said she missed me. And since I hadn't been over in a while decided I'd come over.” she rushed out.

“Uh huh.”

I knew she was lying but I let it slide. Why she felt need to lie was beyond me. Unless she was doing something she thought I didn't approve of and Cassie, which she did sometimes. But I was tired of everyone lying lately.

“Is something wrong Tourie?” she asked after a moment of silence.

“It's nothing. I'll see you tomorrow Cassie.”

“Are you sure you're okay? You sound sad. Did something happen?”

“Nope, I'm fine. Tell you're mom 'hi', okay.”

She paused. “Kay.”

I hung up and just sat in the truck for another ten minutes. I thought of calling Aaron but remembered I couldn't tell him about whats bothering me without reveling the whole truth to him. So I just drove back home.

On the way back I decided to drive by The old Miller farm, a.k.a Daniel house. I had no intention of knocking on the door or anything I just wanted to see how it looked on the outside. I hadn't been over here in a long time, and I was curious.

I stopped at the bottom of the drive and took a look around. It was a small farm only a few acres with a huge barn, still a fading red, which had held stables for the animals. It was in need of repair and the silo next to it was rusted and damaged.

But the two story house which stood nearby had new siding and had been repainted. The dented in roof had been replaced and the wrap around porch, which had new wood, had a few chairs and a swing, all new looking. The windows were new as well. The grass was a healthy green, neatly mowed and lush. The wooden fence that stood near the barn had been removed and a stone walk way now led up from the driveway to the house and barn. He had even put shrubbery around the house. It all looked good.

And in the back of my mind I was thinking about how much it had all cost.

I got out the car and walked across the path to the barn. It was strange being here and not seeing or hearing any of the animals that used to call this place home.

The Miller's had fallen on hard times and had to sell their beloved farm and land. I felt bad for them, the farm had been in there family for nearly two centuries.

The door stood ajar and before I thought it through I went inside. I looked around but there was nothing to see. It was empty and smelled only of stale old things. I wondered whether Daniel was planning on tearing it down. I highly doubted that he'd start farming himself. I turned and left shutting the huge door behind me.

I walked over to the house and around back. On the right side of the house where the driveway ends there was a blue old school Chevy, and it looked like it had a new paint job. And in front of it stood a red Harley. Both gleamed in the sunlight. My hand glided across the bike as I walked pass.

So Daniel rode a motorcycle, interesting, I thought.

The backyard was huge, the view glorious There was a small clearing on the land and you could see the sun setting between the trees.

It appears that he was planning to building a deck. There was lumber and tools here already and the beginnings of the deck or patio area were already taking shape. I couldn't wait to see how it turned out.

I went back around to the front as decided I should get home before it gets too late. It was growing dark already. I hopped in the car and just as I was about to back out, a red, two-door, expensive looking car was turning in. It stopped as did I. The cars headlights prevented me from seeing who it was but I already knew.

Daniel stepped out of the car and was by my door a second later, aviators on. “I just knew you couldn't resist.” Even in the dark I could see his lovely smile

“Hi, Daniel.” I couldn't help smiling myself.

“Hello, darling. Leaving so soon?”

“I was just seeing how the farm looked since you've moved in, that's all.”

“Is that right? Well it's a work in progress.” He smiled. “You want to come in for a drink?”

“I really should be going.”

“Oh, come on, just come in for a little while. I promise I'll be good.” Sure he would. “Please. It's not often I have guests.”

I thought about it for a moment. Why not. He'd been in my house, and I was curious to see how a vampire lived.

“Okay. But not too long.”

“Perfect.”

He hopped back into his car as I drove back up the driveway until I was parked near the house. He pulled up beside me and got out. He took my arm as we walked up the porch steps. He opened the door and flipped on the lights as we entered.

The house had same layout and all, just with newer furniture, new paint and a newer look. The living room, which was the room we entered into, was very minimal, only a couch, a chair and a table were there, all white. Daniel took off his jacket and hung it on a coat rack near the door and did the same with mine.

“So what do you think?” he asked as we make our way through the room and into the kitchen. He took off his aviators.

“It's coming together well. Almost as I remember it” I said

That was before I looked at the kitchen.

It was completely remodeled, all new updated appliances, cabinets, an island. All stainless steel and red. The stove was even red. Amazing. The floors were a beautiful dark hardwood, as were the cabinets. His round table was huge, with dark leather-like seats around it. It was even bigger than before. He had knocked out a wall that must have been the laundry room. It all looked wonderful.

“Wow.” I said as I took it all in. “Gorgeous.”

“Thanks.” Daniel beamed proudly. “I'm redoing the whole house room by room. The kitchen was first because it's my favourite room.” He went in the huge refrigerator and pulled out two beers.
“Is this okay? I could make you a drink if you'd like.”

“That's fine.” I sat down at the island and took the beer he offered. “How much did you actually do? I mean with the building and everything?”

“You'll come to find I'm very good with my hands.” I don't doubt it. “I helped with a little bit of everything. The roof, the siding, painting, the floors, pluming, electric, laying cement, the landscaping. Even the driveway.”

“Wow. That's amazing.”

“What's the point in having all this strength if you don't use it.”

I smiled a little. “I was wondering what you were going to do with the barn.”

“I was thinking of turning it into a garage. But I might just keep it, fix it up, you know. It does have a rustic kind of charm.” I took a sip of the beer. Daniel smiled at me as he did the same thing. “What's wrong?” he asked suddenly.

“Nothing.”

“Don't lie. Has that bastard been bothering you?”

“No, no. I've just been... having those dreams still.”

“What about?”

“It's stupid really.”

“Tell me.”

So I told Daniel about those nightmares, my fears, my worries and I felt a weight lifting off me. It felt good to let out my anger at Stephanie, at Jayson. Daniel listened as I ranted about my feelings and didn't judge. When I was done I had finished my beer and got another.

“My life is never going to be the same.” I said sadly.

“No, but you may be better in the future because of it.” was all Daniel said before I kissed him.

He didn't stop me but put his hands on the sides of my face like he did during our first kiss. I wrapped my arm around his neck and pulled him closer. The growl that escaped his lips only made me want him more. When I finally stopped and opened my eyes Daniel's was still shut. His lips were parted and his hands were still holding my face. His thumb stroked my cheek gently then his eyes opened.

And they were very dark, black eyes.

I let out a gasp.

“Don't move.” Daniel murmured.

I stared at them and was frightened so frightened I became frozen. The white was barley visible but slowly, very slowly they returned to their normal bright blue.

“Are you scared?” he asked as he released my face. His fangs were out a fraction.

“I don't know.” was all I could say.

“Why'd you kiss me?”

“I dunno. Impulse, I guess.”

“You should be more impulsive then.”

“Why did you eyes look-?”

He cut me off “Because I'm... turned on. We've talked about this before.” he released my face and I sat back.

“I never noticed you're eyes were like that before.”

“It was always dark when it's happened before I guess. Are you okay?” he said, his shoulders rigid.

Oh, right.

We were silent for a while. I sipped on my beer while Daniel stared. “Why do you do that?”

He narrowed his eyes. “Stare?” he questioned.

“Yeah, it's rude.”

“Sorry, you shouldn't be so irresistible.”

He smiled. No fangs, not demon eyes. I took a chance against my better judgment and kissed him again. It was a soft, slow kiss with less urgency than the one before. I breathed in his sweet scent as I pulled away. My lips were still close to his I whispered, “Irresistible, huh?”

“Mm-hmm.” he said, his eyes half closed.

“You're not too bad yourself..” That made him smile.