Status: Working Working WORKING

The Spark That Started the Fire

Unimaginable

Nutmeg was in a gorgeous clearing in a dense forest. The sky was beautiful with gleaming stars even brighter than at the farm. For huge trees outlined the clearing and a huge stone centred it. Nutmeg was facing it, at first she felt a ripple of fear and the world seemed bigger. The trees were giant, looming over her like a fox about to pounce. She flattened herself to the ground, her ears twitching. Suddenly she felt cold breath on her shoulder. She turned and saw the most beautiful cat she had ever seen.

She was long legged like Nutmeg with dazzling blue eyes that shone like the moonlight on the huge rock. Her pelt was a light silver with very thin tabby stripes with starlight glittering in her fur. She looked at Nutmeg with a twinkle in her eye and sat down, licking her slender paw and running it down the side on her shoulder. "My name is Silverwind." she said fondly, looking at the kit with interest.

At first Nutmeg wasn't sure what to say, she had never heard of the name Silverwind, it was rather strange sounding. Her little mouth opened and nothing came out until a smile melted along her lips "I'm Nutmeg!" she said, ending with the rip of a purr.

Silverwind nodded, looking up at the great rock. "Do you know where you are?" Silverwind asked, the playfulness gone from her eyes as she gazed at the rock longingly.

Nutmeg replied, her paws kneading the ground with excitement at the idea of a new place to play. "No, I think I'm in the forest though. Sometimes mama brings us to the edge of the moor and we can see it, it is a beautiful place, isn't it?" she looked around, looking at each tree with wide eyes. She turned back to Silverwind but the beautiful cat had vanished.

Then she felt a strong, warm wind being blown. It stung her eyes and she had to shut them and turn her head against it, digging her claws in the grass. She felt the heat warming her fur and she hissed. She heard a whisper in her ear, but the wind blocked it out. She screeched until she thought she's be tossed into the vicious air. Then, all was quiet.


Nutmeg gasped, her fur was fluffed up to the ends she looked like a clump of cotton or a tumbleweed. The fear ebbed away and she looked around. She was no longer curled up by her mother but standing in the hay dust. She looked around nervously, licking her fur quickly to flatten it. She looked around for her family but none were around. She trotted around a haystack and let out a little mew. No cat answered. She clawed her way onto a bail of hay, then another, then another.

Soon she was panting after only five bails, she collapsed and peered off the edge. She saw her mother and siblings close the the barn door. She tried to call out but her voice was coarse from her climb and her voice was lost. She saw her father, Hector run from the edge, his pelt was ruffled and his eyes were wide. He whispered something to Lilac and she just about yowled. She said something quickly to the kits and grabbed Prince and dragged him away past her sight, Ella followed quickly, her chubby paws following as fast as she could. Nutmeg felt a trickle of fear down her spine and she scrambled down the bails of hay she heard a snarl.

Two cats entered, one from each side of the door. One was large and black and white. Nutmeg could see lines of scars and thick muscles bulging under his fur. The other was a female, she was strong, but not as strong as either of the toms. She had light ginger fur and blazing yellow eyes. Her pelt was raked in scars and one ear was nearly completely shredded off, still caked in dried blood.

"What do we got here, Ginny?" the tom spat, his teeth bared and claws sheathing and unsheathing.

The cat apparently called Ginny gave a yowl, "Looks like we got here a lone cat and a barn full of food, Nico!" she laughed loud and obnoxiously, her head whipping from side to side.

"Yes, looks like we'll have to teach e'm a lesson!" Nico growled, his eyes narrowing to slits thinner than a leaf. He then bounded for her father, his huge paws out with sharp claws gleaming. He pounced on Hector and he gave a yowl, sending the two toms into a flurry of fur. Ginny snickered, her yellow teeth dull against her sand coloured fur.

Nico had Hector pinned to the ground, struggling in the dirt. Ginny saw her chance to attack and she stalked up to it, her ears flat on her head as she swiped and ducked at the pinned tom. Suddenly Nutmeg came charging and jumped in the air, landing at the she-cat's head, her little claws holding on. She knew exactly where to hit, and she bit down on her good ear, pulling and chomping on like a tough piece of fresh-kill. Blood welled in her mouth and gave her the instinct to flinch away, but she held on and tugged. The blood was warm and sticky as it ran down her chest. Ginny flipped her head around wildly, trying to get the little kit off. She rolled onto her back and tried to flatten the little cat but she held on with the same ferocity as before.

Meanwhile, Hector managed to get unpinned and was swiping and chomping down at his opponent at every chance, though taking heavy blows himself. He rolled left and launched out, snapping for the neck but Nico feinted and Hector slammed into a bail of hay and Nico charged for him, biting into the vulnerable underbelly. Hector gave a yowl of agony and ended in a snarl and charged into Nico, used his front paws to tear at his back, kicking off the bail, soaring over Nico and skidding to a halt on the other side of the muscular cat, dust clouded the four cats and Nico was coughing, his eyes shut tight and Hector pounces, ripping and snapping blindly in the dust.

Ginny finally got loose, swinging her head violently until the small scrap of fur tossed in the air and into a pile of loose hay. Nutmeg whimpered and struggled out of the pile, straw pricking her fur and her paws clawing wildly until she fell out of the pile in a heap, blood trickling from scratches on her flank and back, mixing with her blood soaked muzzle, chest and neck fur.

Ginny had turned away from the kit, her ear nearly completely reduced to shreds along with deep scores near her eye and around her ear and blood flooded, the left side of her face barely seen from the dark red ooze. She posed to strike at the cloud, watching as it thinned. The whole barn went silent, no cat moved, no cat spoke or hissed or growled. The dust began to settle until the form of Hector was seen standing over the dark brown form of Nico whom was motionless.

Ginny let out a battle cry, filled with rage and grief. She pounced and bowled Hector over, tearing with the fearlessness of a lion. Blood spattered the floor and Nutmeg howled, her mew high and pleading "Daddy!" at the same moment Nutmegs teeth met Hector's neck. Blood poured onto the floor and Ginny looked at Nutmeg, her eyes emotionless.

The world seemed to go in slow motion. Nutmeg could hear the familiar pawsteps of her mother and two siblings from the other side of the room behind her. Ginny watched, her gaze turning hard but Nutmeg could see a flicker of regret in her eyes. She looked at the body of her companion and bounded away, her pawsteps heard only a moment as she ran from the terrible scene before her. Nutmegs paws collapsed below her and her life was sent into a dizzying darkness.