Status: Completed :) thank you for reading!

Girls Do What They Want

une

Carter's POV
"I can't believe this." I muttered angrily, scrolling through my email. Had nobody warned me that The Maine's tour manager was getting married and leaving the band? I had to find out through email? I was the boss of their fucking record label for crying out loud! Nobody had decided to stop me and tell me the news?
I got up from my desk, swinging open my office door.
"Why the hell didn't anybody tell me?" I demanded, crossing my arms over my crisp white blouse. Everybody looked up at me, fear in their eyes.
"This is The Maine's record label. No one could've told me that their tour manager quit on them? They have a headlining tour coming up in two days! Two days, people! They can't go on tour with a tour manager!" I exclaimed, anger pouring out of my voice. I was the executive manager of Fearless Records. I worked with some great bands, including The Maine. My job was to make sure that all our clients were safe on tour, had good sales, and basically wasn't doing anything stupid. I spent 100% of my energy on my job, therefore not having much time for a boyfriend. So I just didn't have one -- and I was perfectly okay with that.
"Unless anybody wants to volunteer the next three months to managing The Maine, you people better find someone to do it or else they might have to cancel the tour. And you know what that means? They won't get paid. Which means you all won't get paid. Get on it!" I ordered, going back into my office. My secretary Avery quickly followed me inside.
"You okay, Car?" She asked me. Avery was one of my closest friends. She was one of the only people that I was actually friends with at the office -- and one of the only people that wasn't afraid of me.
"Barely," I mumbled, sitting back down in my chair. "Mr. Geller is not going to be happy with this. Can you call him up and alert him?"
Avery nodded. "I'll get him on line one."
She exited my office. I took a deep breath, crossing my legs and waiting for Mr. Geller's call. Mr. Geller was the owner of Fearless Records, and my boss. We only alerted him when it was an absolute emergency -- unfortunatly, this was considered an emergency.
My office phone rang. I bit my lip, pressing the 'answer' button. My stomach churned.
"Hello?" I greeted.
"Carter? Is everything alright?" Mr. Geller asked, fear obvious in his voice.
"Not exactly, Mr. Geller," I replied. "It seems that the office failed to tell me that The Maine's tour manager quit on them. They have a headlining tour in two days... and, well, we're at a loss."
There was a silence. "Carter, this is your fault. You realize that, correct?"
Although I refused to believe that this was my fault, I agreed.
"Yes, I realize this, Mr. Geller."
"You're going to have to fix this, Carter. And since this is your mess, I believe that you are an educated and organized young woman that will be able to handle managing The Maine for three months. Carter, you are The Maine's new tour manager."
My jaw dropped. I couldn't just leave everything and go on tour with a bunch of party boys for the next three months!
"Mr. Geller, with all due respect, I don't think that's possible. I have so much to do here at the office--"
"I'll get someone else to take care of it. I'll be on the phone with The Maine as soon as you hang up. Get packing, Carter."
And with that, the line went dead.
This was insane! I couldn't go on tour with The Maine -- this was barely my fault. Avery ran into my office with two cups of Starbucks coffee.
I sighed as she handed me one.
"What's the damage?" She asked, sitting down in front of my desk.
"I have to go on tour with The Maine!" I exclaimed in anger. Avery's jaw dropped.
"Are you serious?!"
"Do I look like I'm lying, Avery?"
"Shit... that's... that's crazy." Avery mumbled.
"It's more than crazy." I replied, taking a sip of my coffee. Even caffiene couldn't calm me down.
"I have to pack for three months on a tiny ass bus with a bunch of party boys. I'll be the only girl. I won't be here. Avery, this is fucking insane. I have to call Mr. Geller back."
Avery instantly stopped me. "Carter, do you really think that just because you beg Geller not to send you on tour, he'll do it? And besides, I think you could use a break from the office. Maybe one of those boys could end up being your boyfriend." She said, wiggling her eyebrows at me.
"Ha! I doubt it. I'm gonna be managing them. No time for sex." I responded professionally.
"So you're looking for the friends-with-benefits type, huh? I think they'll be cool with that."
"Avery!" I whined. "Come on, this is hard enough for me. I really don't wanna think about five guys constantly hitting on me for the next three months."
She nodded. "Sorry, sorry. But you know, I actually listen to The Maine, and they're really good."
"You listen to them?" I asked in disbelief. I didn't really listen to any of the bands I worked with, believe it or not. I was more of the Blink-182, Taking Back Sunday, Nirvana, Saves The Day type girl.
"Yeah," Avery grinned. "Like I said, they're really good. You're lucky you'll be able to watch them every night."
I shrugged. "We'll see about that."
"And... they're all pretty hot."
I raised an eyebrow at her. "Does Avery have a crush?"
Avery was flushed. "No, it's not like that..."
"Mhm," I giggled.
"This is about you, not me!" Avery exclaimed, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear nervously.
"Do you think Geller will be mad if I take off tomorrow to pack?" I asked her. She shrugged.
"You're already gonna be gone for the next three months, what's another day?"
I sighed, agreeing with her. "Can you send out a mass email to everyone in the office? I'm gonna get ready to go."
Avery nodded.
"Text me later, okay? See ya soon."
I quickly hugged Avery, and she exited my office. I took a deep breath. I wouldn't be in my office for the next three months. Geller had really fucked me over this time.
I grabbed my bag and coffee, slipping my Ray Bans over my eyes. I walked out of my office, closing the door behind me.
Everyone stared at me, obviously very fearful of what I would say.
"I'll see you all in three months." I announced, walking out of the Fearless Records offices for God knows how long.