Whispers on the Wind

Story Girl

"Hey Bea!"

Looking up, she couldn't help but feel relief as her friend, Fable, took the seat across from her. What she did was stupid, but it was a sick habit she had never been able to avoid. She sat alone wondering if she meant anything to them. She would sit along and make them come to her.

Some days they did, some days they didn't.

"Did you pass that test with J.L.?"

Her smile turned into a grimace as she winced. "You always know how to ruin a nice day don't you Fable?" she shot back in lieu of a true reply. Her friend gave her a sheepish smile in reply but didn't say anything. She would have liked him to have said something, anything. There was something about the silence that rubbed her the wrong way.

"Hey, you know we don't have to talk about it if you don't want to," Fable finally said. It was like a cue in her mind, a switch that went off and opened a flood gate.

"I've been dreaming again," she admitted. "I've been dreaming about when I was younger and just, everything. And I want it to stop Fable. I want to make everything end. Not like that kind of end, but, you know, I just want to be able to go to sleep and escape the things that happen."

Fable's brow furrowed in confusion. "Are you okay Bea? I mean really. Don't try and give me one of those excuses you like to give. I mean what's really going on in that twisted little head of yours?"

Biting her lip, Bea hesitated for a moment before she looked around. "How much time do you have?"

The smile that flickered across his lips made her feel warm, wanted even. "For you cherie? I can skip my last class. It's just Psych."

Not that Fable wasn't likely to skip psychology anyway, but pretending that he was going it for her made her feel that much better inside. "I guess it's just something that's been going on since I was a little girl.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry the chapters are short but this is something hard for me to write so sometimes it takes a while.