Whispers on the Wind

Hurt Girl

Sitting was uncomfortable.

Then again, confessing what had happened to her mother was even more terrifying. Folding her hands in her lap she looked down dreading the usual question that accompanied days like this. She was going to have to admit what had happened as soon as her mother asked. She had never been able to lie to her mother. The thought of lying had never been one that had really crossed her mind in all honesty.

"How was your day baby?" her mother asked.

She held off for a few moments longer as her cheeks grew a vivid red. "It was okay," she mumbled.

She could feel her mother's eyes on her and knew that she had been found out. "What happened Bea?" her mother demanded as she stopped at the exit of the school's semi-circular driveway.

The color grew and she couldn't bring herself to look up at her mother. "One of the boys after school called me a mean name and kicked me," she whispered.

"Where?" her mother's voice was hard. Was her mother mad at her? A part of her wouldn't have been surprised, but another part of her hoped that that wasn't the case. She didn't want that to happen: ever.

"Between my legs," she whispered feeling the shame of it all. She sat silently as her mother started to drive again and then felt a surprise as she realized that her mother was pulling back into the first entrance of the school's parking lot.

Her mother parked the car and Bea followed after her mother not quite understanding what was happening until they stood in front of the secretary's desk, her mother asking for the principal.

It was the first time since anyone had started teasing her that anyone noticed. The first time it had ever mattered. Part of her was excited. She could remember in kindergarten being teased and imagining the nasty things that might happen to make it worse like the thought of the boy who was now here friend going down the slide and then running around to step on her stomach so he could use the slide again over and over without end.

She had never told anyone about that one.

Sitting back, she simply let her mother and the principle talk. They would take care of it. She had no doubt that the people who were supposed to get in trouble, would. She listened as they told her where she was to stand after school and asked how it was and told her what to do in the future. All the while she couldn't help but thinking that as much as it had scared her, she was glad she had told.