Kingdom of Spades

Kassidy

Going back to sleep after she had been woken up was something that Kassidy had always found extremely difficult to go back to sleep. She was never sure why that was the case, but it was something that had always been the case for her.

Rubbing her eyes, Kassidy sat up on the cot that Gavin must have laid her out on when she had fallen asleep not long before. At least she thought it wasn't long before. She couldn't be sure in her present state. Running a hand through her mused hair she looked dazedly at Gavin as he came back in his chamber.

"What was that?" she asked furrowing her brow.

She shook her head before Gavin could get out what he was going to say next. "And don't tell me that it's nothing. If it really bothers you that much just say that it was you talking to Aron who I know was in here because I heard him."

Crossing her legs under her robes, she watched Gavin carefully. It never seemed fair how handsome he was. She knew that it was irrational, but she had been thinking that way for as long as she could remember. Of course, since he had chosen her as his apprentice she had known that she would never be able to be with him. That kind of thing would have made both their lives hell.

It was something she couldn't allow. Her position was far too precarious for her to ever allow herself to do something like fall in love. The moment she did, she would probably give the elder mages all the reason they would need to go to the king and had her made nothing more than a midwife. She couldn't allow that to happen. She refused to allow it to happen.

Besides it wasn't as if Gavin could ever look at her as anything more than a little girl.

"You're right," Gavin agreed. "I was just talking to Aron. Go back to bed."

Kassidy shook her head. "Yeah no," he said shaking her head. "How many times of you ordering me around and me not listening will it take for that part to sink in?" she asked resting her hands on her knees. "Look Gavin, I know that as an apprentice, even if they have given me my license, I'm supposed to listen to you, but as you know me so well: you know I can't."