Kingdom of Spades

Luke

Court Duty. It was obscenely boring and probably one of the most boring parts of knighthood, although a necessary one. The duty assigned to him had been to patrol the courtyard-- mostly this made him a glorified babysitter. The little children of the kingdom liked to come and play in the green grass there and it was his job to ensure everything went well, that the children didn't get themselves hurt or in trouble. Luckily for him, the local children adored him. Often when he was on patrol, they would follow along after him and imitate his movements only to run away giggling when he turned to look at them. It was cute, really. He adored children, and he was probably the least intimidating of the knights.

Today his entourage consisted of two boys who could be no older than nine and three small girls, one hardly able to toddle on her own, one of her hands clutching at her older brother. Keeping an eye on them, Luke made sure that he patrolled his rounds slow enough for even the smallest to keep up with him, playing their little game. Sometimes he thought that he should have just married one of the women in the kingdom and had himself a bunch of children. He loved the knighthood and wanted nothing more than to ride for the queen, but lately it seemed like he couldn't do anything right.

He paused, smiling softly as the little girl toddled her way up to him and wrapped her little hand around his fingers, her other hand in her mouth. He was fairly sure he wasn't supposed to be so distracted as he was working, but she was cute...and was it not his job to make sure the children were safe? So, he allowed her to hold his hand, making sure that he moved very slowly so she could keep up with him.

As much as the idea of having a family appealed to him...women never really had. The women in the kingdom were lovely, that much was true, but he had never been attracted to them. Looking at them, he felt...nothing. It was kind of a frightening thought because it meant he would likely never have a mate that could produce him children. And that made him feel like a failure. He was the oldest of all those who had yet to get their spurs, and for that he was mocked mercilessly, and he would likely never have a child to carry on his lineage...some days it just felt like he would amount to nothing.

Soon enough the children went back to playing in the grass and he resumed his patrol. wandering around the perimeter, the trumpet announcing the arrival of the queen was played and everybody tried to shuffle into position, bowing to one knee. Quickly, Luke sank to his knee, just as the queen rounded the corner. As she walked nearer to him, he began to fidget with nerves, attempting to get a better view...and all that he managed to do was lose his balance, falling forwards directly in the Queen's path. There was a loud intake of breath as she stumbled, spilling her wine glass all over herself as she tripped over him. 'GUARDS!" she cried, pointing at Luke. "Seize him! Take him to the lashing post at once!"
♠ ♠ ♠
poor lukey