Kingdom of Spades

Kassidy

Kassidy was wondering what would happen to her if she slowly tortured a few of the other mages her age to death. That would probably be frowned upon, so the more important question was: did she care?

At the moment, the answer was definitely a resounding no. She would do it with her bare hands too. Screw magic. That would make it too easy on them and she couldn't have that. Then again, there was one small problem in that area: Gavin. He would probably frown upon the idea of her killing anyone. Why, she still wasn't sure. It probably had something to do with the whole fact that she was a ranked healer and healers were supposed to protect life...not take it.

So why couldn't she just make one little exception (or five bigger ones)?

But she knew exactly what Gavin would tell her if she asked to kill them. The answer had been the same thing that last two times she had spoken with him after all, it wasn't bound to change now. She could hope that it might, but she knew better than that.

It was for that reason she had to stick her chin up and keep walking past the males as they threw lewd remarks her way. She should have been used to it by now. They had been doing it since the day she had been chosen as an apprentice. It still bothered her though. As a little girl she had hoped that maybe she could prove herself. As a woman, she realized she would never be able to.

Moving into the chamber that had been relegated as her own from the moment that Gavin had named her his apprentice, Kassidy had to resist the urge to slam the door. She had to be more mature than they were. It wasn't something she relished, but it was something she did pride herself in. She had come a long way from being the dirty little village girl who didn't want to take baths to the woman she was now.

Looking in the mirror she saw long brown hair that was pleated down her back and pale gray eyes that seemed to intimidate everyone except for Gavin. In the villages, she would have been called a witch. But here, she had a modicrum of respect (at least from anyone who didn't wield magic). She could do things that mattered. If she had to suffer a little humiliation along the way, than fine: she would deal with it.

Checking the clock positioned on the mantle above her small fireplace, a curse slipped from her lips as she started to change robes and grab her bag of scrolls and potion tools, not even noticing she hadn't changed the under-gown of her robes from black to red as she was supposed to when she was going to train with Gavin. Instead she ran out of her room at a dead sprint to try and get to lessons on time.

Gavin might not let her kill anyone, but he would lecture her for being late while contemplating it.