Status: Finished

Comfort

Freedom

Navy left pretty soon after that with a relieved smile still on her face. She was closer with me, even in the few hours since her secret had come out. Navy had hugged me goodbye and taken my hand as we walked to the door. It made me happy. For once, my parents got home early, walking in the house just a few minutes after Navy left.

Shane ran to greet them, because for some reason he doesn’t realize how little they do for him. Still, they are our parents, so I smiled and said hello. My mom gave me a tight smile and kissed my cheek. I suddenly felt how tired I was-it had been hard for me to sleep lately. “Hi Mom, Dad, why’re you home so early?” Dad coughed awkwardly and looked over to Mom as if he wanted her to say something. She smiled stiffly again. “Honey, you know the night of your play?” I tensed up.

“Yes.” “Shane has a doctor’s appointment that night, just a checkup. You’re going to have to skip the play so you can bring him. Dad has a company party that night that I want to go to.” I felt the breath stolen from my lungs, I was so angry. The selfish bitch. And my father was just as bad. They knew how important the play is to me, that the Drama Club needs me to be there, especially on play night. And once again Shane was forced on me so they could pursue their ‘perfect life’ without him. Mom didn’t even wait for my answer-she walked past me into the kitchen I had cleaned, where I cooked all the food, where I helped Shane and she took credit. “No.”

Mom turned around, smiling quizzically. “What?” “I said no. The play date has been the same for months and you should’ve known better than to schedule an appointment on that day. I can’t bring him.” “Bree, I’m not giving you a choice.” I was so tired, stressed out by school. I wouldn’t have gotten so angry if it wasn’t for that. “You never give me a fucking choice. I had no choice but to take care of Shame, acting like his mom, taking on more than people twice my age. I’ve lost so much because of all I have to do for him, while you pretend that life is perfect, that you don’t have a damaged son.” Mom gasped and started to talk, but I yelled over her.

“It’s time for you to be a fucking parent for him, because I can’t do this anymore. I hate it, I hate having to be his mom. It’s your turn.” I’m pretty sure they would’ve slapped me if it hadn’t been for what happened next. Someone wailed nearby and we all jumped. Shane had come in when I was yelling. Shane had heard everything. And Shane understood most of it, but he wasn’t able to see that I still love him, I just can’t take care of him all the time. When I ran to comfort him he hit at me.

“I don’t want you! Go away!” Ignoring my parents, I forced him to look at me. “Shane, baby, I still-” He screamed and wrenched away. My parents were looking on like they were superior, as if they could do better with Shane. “See what happens when you don’t think, Bree? I guess I’ll skip the party then.” Mom sneered. At that moment, I hated my parents. I slipped past her and ran to my room, already crying. What had I done?
I’m lucky Shane is still a little kid, and he forgives easily. I was slumped on my bed in misery when he walked into my room. “Mama?” I’d never been happier to hear his voice. “Yeah?” “Do you…love me?” I stood and hugged him, stroking his soft hair. “Of course I do. Always. And I’m so sorry, love.” He smiled. “It’s….okay.” He crawled into my bed, already half asleep. I just stood there for a moment, smiling to myself. For once Shane had to comfort me.

Things were different after that between my parents and me. I still did most of the stuff for Shane, but they took him to appointments during school and when I had something to do. Usually what I was doing was hanging out with Navy. The night before the play she slept over, and we stayed up kind of late, mostly calming her nerves and talking.

She opened up so much more now that I knew her secret. She told me about all the bullying people had done, how she hadn’t believed anyone could like her. Navy told me that her parents had often been horrid to her, that they were unfair and too stern. She was rapidly becoming my best friend. The night of the play I thought Navy was going to have a panic attack. We were alone backstage, and she was almost unseeing, chewing on her lower lip. I had already gotten her into the blood red gown and done up her dark hair.

We were in the process of doing her makeup when she grabbed my hand. “You promise you’ll be watching? That I won’t fall or anything? You’ll be there?” I smiled and brushed a thumb across her cheek. “I promise.” The stage seemed very quiet right then, just the two of us alone in dim light. Navy smiled, and I realized she was beautiful, large black eyes popping against the princess dress she wore. “But, what if-” She started to say, until I cut her off with a kiss, one I discovered I really needed.

Navy squeaked and stumbled back, touching her mouth. I knew she wasn’t angry-she had to be expecting it. In fact, me falling for her was kind of inevitable. And that was a good kiss. She regained herself and grinned at me. “Right now I have to go on stage, but at intermission you’d better be waiting for me, right here, because I am going to kiss you again.” Laughing, I sent her off. As Navy slipped behind the stage curtain I shook my head, knowing this was a big change in my life, but a natural one. I’d thought she wasn’t my type, and I was wrong. I belong with Navy, and she belongs with me. Simple as that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Why you no read my stories? Am I that awful?