Status: Hey there, this is my favorite story

Lisbeth

Rules

The woman hurried over to Destery, joy clear on her face. He actually allowed her to embrace him, giving a small kiss on his cheek.
“Destery, where have you been?” He just smiled and, as usual, gave a non-answer. “A place, but no one was there.”
She sighed and hugged him again. When she stepped away her face had become a little colder. “How’s Ben?” he asked quietly.
“Your father won’t let him come back, but the home says he’s doing better than before.” Destery nodded.
“And Dad? Has he said anything about me leaving?” Lex came up behind Destery and lay a hand on his shoulder, but he shrugged it off.
“Steven hasn’t really noticed yet, Des. He’s been really busy with the town.” “Yeah, sure.”

Destery reached back with one hand and gestured for me to come forward. It kind of bothered me-I’m not a servant-but I walked to him anyway.
“Hi, I’m Lisbeth Duara. It’s nice to meet you.” His mom shook my hand. Her grip was strong and cool.
She only gave me a tight smile before turning back to Destery. “I’m afraid you can’t be at home for a while. Your father is in one of his moods. Do you have a place to stay?”
“I’m living with Lisbeth Suki Duara. She said she can make room for me.” Something beeped and Mrs. Cross checked her phone.
‘I’ve got to leave. Call me if anything goes wrong.” She kissed his forehead and got back in the car, leaving the rest of us standing in the rain.

Lex left a few seconds later, promising he would stay in touch. Destery and I stood alone in the entrance to my house.
“So, uh, do you have any stuff with you?” I asked. He nodded, producing an i-touch out of nowhere. “This is all I really need. Clothes just seem to come.”
He smiled distantly at me. “Follow me. I’ll help you set up your bed.” In a few minutes Destery had blankets and a pillow on my very lumpy, worn out couch.
“Okay, now that you’re settled in we’ve got to set our house rules.” House rules had saved me in college. Destery sprawled across his new sleeping space, long arms dangling past the edge.
He eyed me with sleepy brown eyes that never quite met my own. “Alright then.” “One-don’t go snooping into my room and stealing stuff.”
“Like I would do that,” he snorted. I ignored him and continued on. “Two-don’t stay up all night doing anything loud or sleeping with some girl. I have work early.”
He nodded. “Three-If you mess something up, clean it. You’re helping with the chores.” “Okay.” “Four-no drugs or anything else illegal. I want to keep my house clean. No drinking or smoking either.”
“I don’t do any of that,” he said, a little defensive. “And five-no more suicide attempts.” Destery flinched slightly at that but agreed.
I tried holding his eyes, giving up to just speak at him. “Please, Destery. Your family is already worried, and I can’t watch you every second of the day.”
Destery looked at his lap, clenching his fists. “I swear I won’t do that again.” I accepted that and stood.
“I’ll be going to work early in the morning. I don’t care what you do as long as you don’t mess up my house or hurt yourself.” He turned his James Dean smile at me and switched on the i-touch.
“I’m sure I can entertain myself.” Before he got too absorbed in the music I stopped him.
“What about you? Don’t you have any rules?” He thought for a moment. “Only a few. Don’t bother me all the time, and don’t touch my i-pod.”
Easy enough. I agreed and headed off to read.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello? Anybody reading this?