Status: Hey there, this is my favorite story

Lisbeth

Stones

By the time my shift was over, at 1:00 p.m., I was a ball of nerves. “Lisbeth, you’re freaking out over something. Go home, get some rest, don’t worry so much.” “Thanks Ronnie.” I grabbed my stuff, clocked out, and hurried from the store. I wouldn’t be exploring the town today.
Instead, I drove straight home, pushing my truck to the limits. The engine hadn’t even quieted down before I was in the house. “Destery! Destery, where are you?” “Huh? I’m right here, Lisbeth.” He peered over the back of my table, brown eyes wide.
“Do you need something?” I relaxed, happy to see that everything was okay. “No, I don’t need anything. What did you do today?” “I slept until 9:37, then I had three pancakes and half a cup of juice until 9:52, then I brushed my teeth until 9:55. I had a shower until 10:21, then I washed my clothes until 10:43. My clothes are still hanging up....”
Halfway through his schedule I was tapping my foot. I should have known better than to ask a precise Asperger’s kid about his day. “....Then I started doing this.” Destery stood up to show me what he was working on, making me jump back. “Destery, you better be wearing some sort of pants.”
His chest was bare, exposing his skinny hips and bony chest, the pale skin that had helped me see him in the rain. At least he was gaining weight. “I am. Now come look.” I crossed slowly over to Destery, waiting as he lifted my tablecloth up.
Underneath the table were piled stones, dark and still damp, so he must have gathered them while I was working. Across my floor he had formed them into a swirl, dozens of the stones creating beautiful contrasting colors. “Destery...I...wow. It’s gorgeous.”
I stood up, reaching for my camera. He shuffled slightly, bowing his head. “I hoped you would like it. I wanted to make you happy.” I grabbed my camera and turned to him, watching him bite his lip. “Destery....were you trying to apologize to me?” He hesitated, then gave a slight nod.
I was, well, I was touched. Destery had used art to express emotions he couldn’t show, how sorry he was for last night. I grinned at him, and he smiled back. “I love it. It’s incredible. Look, I’m even taking a picture.” Carefully, I touched his shoulder, leaving plenty of time for him to jerk away, but he didn’t. His skin was smooth under my fingertips. I gave him a quick pat before taking my hand away. “Well, uh, let’s take the picture. Then maybe we can go out and explore a bit? It finally stopped raining.” Destery smiled widely and nodded. “I would like that.”