Status: Hey there, this is my favorite story

Lisbeth

Hospital

I woke up in the hospital room, my head still pounding. My head was bandaged. Ronnie was sleeping in a chair against the door. Destery’s mother sat near me. I gasped and sat up, wincing when pain exploded through my skull. She reached out and patted my hand.
“I’m sorry.” “What...what are you doing here?” She glanced around before leaning closer. “My son called me and told me. He couldn’t get Ronnie, so he wanted to make sure you’re alright.” “Oh. Uh, that’s very kind of you.” “I wanted to thank you.”

“For what?” “Taking my son in. I know he’s difficult, but he had nowhere else to go, and...” Her voice broke, and she bent over to hide her face. I felt awkward and helpless. “Um...”
“He was my first child, my special baby. We were happy then. I used to call him ‘Angel Boy’ because he was so sweet and beautiful. It wasn’t until he was a toddler that I realized something was wrong. He didn’t like to be touched, and he would never look people in the eye. He always played alone. My husband, Steven, yelled at me all the time. He never connected that Ben and Destery have the same thing though.”

She sniffed, and I thought she was done, but she continued. “He said it was my fault, that I must have done something to ruin him. So we tried again, so many times. I kept miscarrying, and all along Destery grew farther away from us. He wasn’t my angel child anymore. When Ben was finally conceived, I thought everything would be okay again. That my husband could forgive me if this child was perfect. And it seemed like he was. He looked just like Destery. But then Ben started growing up, and he was even worse than Destery. He never interacted willingly, couldn’t be touched, he didn’t speak until he was seven. By then both of them had these little routines they had to follow, but Ben was worse. Destery could be reasoned with, calmed down, but Ben would be catatonic.”

Ronnie began to stir, but we ignored him. “Steven never touched me again after we came home with Ben’s diagnosis. He was so cruel to the boys, especially Destery. I guess he figured that because Ben had something officially wrong with him, nothing could be done. Destery was another story. I could never protect him, even when Steven would leave bruises on his face. After Ben was sent away, Destery took to running away, staying with people I didn’t know. I just wanted to be a good mom, but I failed both my boys.”
Before I could speak Ronnie came over and put a hand on her shoulder. “Marina. I know you’re having a hard time right now, but Lisbeth needs to rest. How bout you get out of here, go have a drink or something. Relax.”
She sniffed and stood, leaving the room quickly. Ronnie huffed and smiled a little. “Well, I guess you know what you’re in for now.” I nodded. “How do you know Destery?”

“I met him when he was a little younger. Even skinnier than he is now. Rebellious kid, seemed like a jackass, but I knew what the bruises on his face meant. So I would let him come over, get the quiet and safety he needed. He started coming to me when he ran away, rather than having to rely on strangers.”

“Why didn’t he tell me?” “He’s a secretive kid. Probably a combination of the Aspergers and how he was raised.” “Yeah....” “He would’ve been here, you know. He just can’t show himself.” “I know. It’s okay.” Ronnie checked his watch. “You should be out of here in a couple of hours. Til then, sleep.” I did, wanting the pain to go away.