Status: Attackative

Frostbite

It feels like the first time

No matter how many times I compete, it seems that I always get nervous before I step onto the ice. I usually always know exactly what I'm up against but I never feel prepared enough. Time and time again, my anxieties have been proven to have been in vain, but that doesn't stop the butterflies from emerging from their cocoons and assaulting the inside of my tummy. 

I clutch a bottle of water in my hand tightly and allow Kinna to fuss over my hair while Daddy ties my skates to my feet so tightly that there's no way in hell I'd screw up because of a loose skate. Once Kinna is satisfied with my hair she sprays an impossible amount of hairspray to keep it in place before moving on to Jennie, whose hair is already perfect.

Uncle Isaac smiles at us happily. "Okay guys, there's absolutely no pressure here." He says with a sharp look in my direction. "It's just a showcase. There's no way you won't win. You guys are the ones who qualified. Everyone else is scared of competing against you."

Jennie reaches over and squeezes my hand reassuringly. "We'll be great."

"I know." I nod. "I'm just-"

"I know." She smiles. "I've been skating with you for six years. I know how you get."

Jennie really does have this odd ability to calm me down like none other. I guess it's because she's my partner. If anyone knows how I'm feeling or understands my fears, it's her. Uncle Isaac motions for us to follow him which means we're up next. 

The arena is almost full, which is very surprising. This is just a showcase, after all. It doesn't matter who wins this. All we get is bragging rights and money donated to a charity of choice. Then I realize that a lot of these people are wearing shirts dedicated to Jennie and me. I raise an eyebrow and look at Daddy questioningly. He smiles proudly and nods. "These are your fans, Cage. Believe it or not, they're rooting for you."

For some reason that really surprises me. I mean, I knew we'd have people rooting for us to win but I guess I didn't expect this. This is weird. A good kind of weird, but weird nonetheless. I spot Jennie's parents sitting in the stands next to Miss Ella. They smile and wave and we wave back. We're both really lucky to have such a strong support system.

The zamboni finishes resurfacing the ice and our names are called. Jennie takes one last deep breath and steps out into the ice. I follow her and plant a big smile on my face. I watch her carefully, not letting myself get distracted by our audience. The outfits Kinna made us for this competition are white, black and gold. Hers is a dress made of the most flowy material I've ever seen. Mine is a shirt made of the same material and fitted black trousers. 

Jennie comes to a stop in the middle of the ice and stills herself. I skate up behind her and place a hand on her hip, the other one gripping her left wrist and bringing it above our heads. She brings herself up on one toe and wraps her other leg back over my thigh so that I'm supporting most, if not all, of her weight. We stay frozen like this until the music begins. The stadium falls silent in anticipation and once the first few notes ring through the speakers, we're off. 

To a lot of people, this routine would look really simple at first but the reality is that the footwork is intricate and probably some of the best choreography we've ever done. Then the first lift comes and it only gets harder from there. There's several more lifts and a lot of low, tight twists that took ages to perfect, trust me.

As the routine continues, the once smooth ice becomes shaved and a certain black haired hockey player and all his complaints briefly pop into my head but they're gone sooner than they came. Before long, the routine is over and we're receiving a thunderous applause. My chest is heaving but I can't force myself to stop smiling long enough to breathe properly. Jennie takes my hand and we bow before skating to the exit and stepping off the ice. 

Daddy and Uncle Isacc are by our sides immediately, handing us our hoodies and bottles of water and telling is how good we did. They lead us to the benches reserved for the skaters and have us sit down to wait for our scores. I unlace my skates and shove my feet into a pair of Ugg boots. I don't care if they're as ugly as I don't even know but they're warm and comfortable as fuck. Miss Ella and Jennie's parents join us shortly and praise us as well.

Jennie's phone goes off and she answers it quickly before before Uncle Isaac can send her his signature 'don't-make-me-make-you-do-laps' look.

"Hello?" She answers. "Oh hey . . . You saw? I didn't even realize this was televised . . . Well, thank you. I'll be sure to tell Cage you said- Oh, okay." Jennie holds the phone out to me. "Juliet wants to talk to you."

I raise an eyebrow but take the phone from her anyway. "Hi Juliet."

"Cage! That was the best skating I've ever seen you do! You guys were great." 

Theres a low voice coming from her end of the phone and I can easily guess who it belongs to. "Lee, we watched them fucking skate now change the channel to something that doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out and go deaf simultaneously."

"Mini, shut the fuck up. We have to see how they scored and then if they won." She screams at him. "Anyway, Cage, as I was saying, you're so amazing. There's no way you won't win, I'm sure of it."

"If you're sure of it then change the fucking channel!" Benjamin yells once again. The next thing I hear is a cry of pain. 

"Did you just-?"

"Don't you worry about that." Juliet says smugly. "Look, I'll see you later okay?" 

"Alright." I reply.

"Bye, Cage." With that she hangs up and I give Jennie back her phone. 

"Your cousin is strange." I point out.

"I didn't choose her, she just kinda happened. You, however, do have a choice and you chose to be her friend." 

"Touche."

Just then, Daddy nudges my shoulder and points at the score board. I look up eagerly as the red numbers come up on the board and blink when I see what they are. They're probably the best scores we've ever gotten and, needless to say, higher than anyone else's. 

I laugh in disbelief and crush Jennie in a hug. Too bad this competition doesn't count towards anything.
♠ ♠ ♠
AndButSo.
Yeah, this is their standard competition, I think. The routine I envisioned them doing was this one. I hope you like it :) 

How are we doing? 
Let us know?