Status: Attackative

Looking For The Words

Bite the bullet

Everest has never been one for big gestures. To him, it's the little things that matter. The thing in the dining room with the flowers was a huge risk but it worked and I'll be forever grateful for my luck, but I'm not willing to risk getting on his bad side by making another huge gesture so soon. 

Instead, another idea came to me. Something that'd show him that he can trust me again. I had to talk to his parents. Alone. 

Jeez. That thought in and of itself was enough to scare the shit out of me. Honestly, I think I'm more scared to talk to Mr and Mrs Lanser than I was to talk to my own parents. They both love Everest a whole hell of a lot and I don't doubt that they're both less than thrilled that I'm back here, much less that I'm speaking to their son again. I'm not even sure if they know we're back together. 

This mission could prove to be fatal but I have to do it. I know I'll get their respect at least, even if they don't accept what I have to say, and Everest will really appreciate it.

"Luc?" He says, lifting his head off my shoulder and blinking up at me.

"Hmm?" I hum looking down at him. 

"As much as I'd love to waste the day sitting here with you, I really can't." Everest sits up and smiles softly. "Santa is coming to town and he needs his elf."

"Well, you're right about that." I stand and pull him up with me, smiling at the memory of him all dressed up in tight green leggings and pointy elf ears. Every year on Christmas Eve, Everest's uncle dresses up like Santa and he dresses up as his elf. Together they pass out toys to the kids who are here for the holiday. It's really cute.

And it's also the perfect opportunity to talk to his parents.

I kiss him softly and slowly before we part ways. He heads to his room and I go to mine. I take a quick shower and dress nicely. Even though I made good first impression, I made a terrible last impression and I could use anything that might get me back on their good side. 

I check in the main living room to see that Everest is all dressed up and handing a little girl a Teddy bear. Oh god, he's so cute. I wonder what my chances are of getting him to stay in my room tonight. 

I push that thought away for later and weave my way towards the back of the inn where the Lanser's private residence is. I run a hand through my still wet hair and take a deep breath before knocking. Less than a minute later the door swings open to reveal a shorter, slightly balding man. He looks less than pleased to see me and actually rolls his eyes. 

"What do you want? You know Everest isn't here." 

"Mr Lanser, I was hoping I could speak to you and your wife." I explain, sounding about as confident as I am. 

He sizes me up before nodding gruffly and letting me in. He leads me to the kitchen where Mrs Lanser is cleaning some dishes and points to a seat. I lower myself into the chair obediently and look up at them uncertainly.

"Lucas, it's nice to see you." Mrs Lanser smiles warmly. 

"No it isn't." Her husband grumbles.

"Honey, don't be that way."

"What way am I supposed to be? He's a manipulative weasel who broke our son's heart last year. Now he's siting at our table as if nothing happened."

"Sir," I interject, "I'm only trying to make amends."

"Nobody asked you!" He barks.

"Elliott, watch it." Mrs Lanser warns. "Not only did Lucas apologize to Everest, last night at dinner he stood up to his parents and apologized again. And to top it all off his parents left this morning and look, he's still here."

"Oh," Mr Lanser says. "I didn't know that. Nobody tells me anything anymore."

"Well you know that Everest and Lucas are back together, that's all the information you need." She smiles. "Now, Lucas, dear, what was it that you wanted to talk to us about?"

"I, uh, I just wanted to say that I'm sorry about everything. I know that what I did to Everest was not in any way okay but I'm trying to make it better. I stood up to my parents and I'm going to call my assistant later to make arrangements for all of the changes that are a result of that. I want Everest in my life." 

"Does he want you in his?" Mr Lanser demands. "Are you just manipulating my son just so you can break his heart again? Everest deserves so much more than what you did."

"I know that, sir, and I'm truly sorry for that. I realize that he's not the only one affected by my actions and that's why I'm here. I want to apologize for everything and give you my word that it will never happen again. I've changed so much in such a short amount of time to show him how sorry I am and I'm willing to do the same for you in order to regain your approval." 

Mrs Lanser takes the seat on my right and lays a hand over mine. "That won't be necessary. I respect what you went through and, while I can't say I approve of what you did, or didn't do rather, I understand it. I also understand that you love my son and want him in your life. You make him happy Lucas. That's all I ever wanted for him."

"I promise to do whatever it takes to make him as happy as he makes me." I smile. "And I'm sorry about my parents. I know that they were loyal customers and now they may never come back."

"That doesn't matter." Mr Lanser says slightly begrudgingly. "What matters is that you are here and you make Everest happy."

"Thank you," I smile. "It really means a lot."

"It means a lot that you would come speak to us." Mrs Lanser smiles warmly. It's easy to see who's genes influenced Everest's features. "Now, would you like something to eat?"

|~|


After leaving the Lanser's private home I retreat to the living room where Everest is still with his uncle and smile at the sight. Then I realize that I still need to call James so I step out onto the patio. James answers on the third ring.

"Hello Lucas." 

"Hey James, I uh, I have good news and bad news." I sigh. 

"I suppose I should have expected this. What is it?"

I tell him everything that happened, with Everest, with my parents and with Everest's parents as well.

"Your parents were never very supportive of you." He sighs and I can practically see the scowl on his face. "Don't worry, you've still got me. I'll get everything straightened out by the time you get back. And hey, don't worry about anything. Just enjoy Everest."

"Thank you so much. And I actually have something else to ask."

"It's about Everest's Christmas present, isn't it?" 

"Get out of my head." I laugh. "Yeah, I have an idea but since you seem to know my boyfriend better than I do, I thought I'd pick your brain first."

"It's a good thing I know you too. I already have a list." 

"That's excellent!" I grin. 

"What's excellent?" The patio door opens and Everest steps out. 

"Wouldn't you like to know?" I smile mischievously. "Hey James, text me that list, will you?" 

He agrees and we hang up. I turn to my boyfriend and pull him into my arms. "Is my little elf all done?"

Everest rolls his eyes but wraps his arms around my waist anyway. "Yeah, I'm finished. You wanna come inside and have lunch with me? My mom made chicken."

"I know."

"You know?" He asks puzzled. "How do you know?"

"Never you mind." I laugh, leaning down to kiss him softly. "It smelled pretty good. We should head inside before you catch a cold. Leggings aren't really proper winter wear."

Everest rolls his eyes yet again but allows me to lead him inside. I feel my phone buzz inside my pocket signaling a new text and I begin to think about how exactly I can convince Everest to stay with me tonight.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! Updates! Whop! Authough I know you already read this, I hope you read it again :)