Status: Attackative

Looking For The Words

I'm coming with you.

Lucas was taking me to Mallory's for New Year's. For him, this was kind of the equivalent of meeting the parents. Sure, I already know Mallory, and she likes me, but I have no idea if she likes me enough to be happy that I'm dating her brother.

But before that, I have to convince my dad that it's okay for me to go. I mean, it's not like he could actually stop me, but I'd rather have my boss and my father's approval for me taking off a few days.

"Hey, dad." I said, walking into the office. "You got a minute?"

"Yeah, what's up?" he said, looking up from his papers.

"Mallory's invited Lucas and I up to her place in Chicago for New Year's."

"And you'd like to go, I imagine." he said, looking down at me through his glasses in a way that made me feel like a little kid again.

"Well, yes." I said. "I'd really like to. And you guys normally don't need me around for New Year's, work-wise. It's really important to me, like a do over of last year, but one where Lucas doesn't leave the next day."

"How are you certain he isn't leaving?"

I hadn't broken the news to my parents about Lucas' gift. I didn't want them to think I was leaving, because I wasn't. At least, not yet... I don't think. Eventually, definitely, because I had a boyfriend with a house and I'm not going to live with my parents my whole life.

"He bought a house." I muttered sheepishly.

"What?" he asked, his eyebrows shooting up.

"Yeah, he bought a house up the road. He's moving here as soon as he can go back and pack his things."

"Wow." Dad said. "He's really serious about you."

"Yeah." I said, almost dreamily. "I know he's not your favorite person in the world, but..."

"I never said that." he replied. "I just didn't want you to get hurt again. But... he came to us, and apologized. He wants this to work. And now he's got a house here... It's definitely making me rethink my original opinion of him."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean if you want to go to New Year's in Chicago with Lucas, you should go. And when you get back, if you want to move in with Lucas, you should. He really loves you, Ev, and I know how much you love him."

"Really?" I asked. I could hardly believe it. Lucas had managed to redeem himself to my father. That's practically a miracle.

"Really." he responded. "Now get out of here, go tell Lucas like I know you're dying to." I was almost out the door when I heard him yell, "And Everest?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm really happy for you. I'm glad you got Lucas back."

"Me too." I said, smiling wide and running out of his office and up the stairs to Lucas' room.

"Luc! Luc!" I yelled. "Where are you?"

"Packing!" he called from the closet. "What's up?"

"I'm coming with you." I said, running over to him and kissing him quickly. "My dad's happy for us, and he wants us to go and have fun."

"Yeah?" he asked smiling and putting his arms around me. "Then you'd better get packing."

I smiled and kissed him quickly before running to my room and grabbing my suitcase and going back to Lucas' room. I'd done my laundry a few days ago with all my favorite things and since I was in Lucas' room most of the time now, I just folded them and put them in Lucas' closet.

"Do you think we're moving too fast?" I asked out of the blue, folding up a purple v-neck and tossing it into my suitcase.

"How do you mean?" Lucas asked from where he was packing his own suitcase on the other side of the bed.

"Well, we only got back together a week ago, and we're already practically living together."

Lucas stopped packing and looked up at me. "In my opinion, no, we aren't, but if you want to slow down, that's fine, too."

"I don't feel like we are. Like, it's not overwhelming me or anything. Just, maybe other people will think we are?"

"Everest, we've been building up to this for years. We've known each other for even longer. Even if we weren't together, we've spent more time together than some newly weds. We literally spent 2 weeks together, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I screwed all that up by being a dick all year, but we got back together, and I feel closer to you than any other person I've ever met. I've dated guys for months before I know them half as well as I know you. So, no. I don't think we're going too fast. And screw what other people think. This is you and me. It's never been a normal relationship. And besides- it's not like we're sharing a suitcase."

I smiled and walked around the bed and put my arms around him. "You're amazing, you know that?" I kissed him deeply and pulled away in time to see his eyes flutter back open.

"I love you." he said, smiling widely. "And you know, at least we're not sharing a suitcase yet."

I laughed at that and leaned in against his chest, loving being close to him.

"You're right." I said. "I don't know why I was worried."

"Well, you worry too much. Always have."

"You don't worry enough. Someone's got to."

"How about..." he said, lifting a hand to brush through my hair. "...this trip you don't worry at all? Let James and I handle it. If you don't trust me to worry enough, trust James. He worries enough for all three of us. But just this once, just for me, let go. Stop worrying. Just enjoy yourself and let me take care of you for once."

"Okay." I said. "I'll try. But it's still a big deal, you know."

"You keep saying that, and you're still wrong." Lucas said. "You know Mallory. She loves you. When I told her we got back together, I don't know who was more excited, her or me."

"But the last time I saw her, you and I were barely friends. She might get to know me now and decide that I'm not good enough for you."

"Everest, seriously." he said, sounding both exasperated and comforting at the same time. "I'm the one that's not good enough for you. Mallory's not like my parents. She sees how happy you make me, and that's all she cares about. Not your etiquette, not your money, just you make me happy and that you love me as much as I love you."

"I love you more than anything." I said, cuddling closer.

"Good." he said, squeezing me close before pulling back. "Now, no more worrying. Let's finish packing."

I went back over to the closet to grab a few things. "Wanna share a suitcase?" I asked jokingly.

"Shut up and pack." Lucas laughed, tapping me on the ass as I walked past him.

Yeah, I could stop worrying for just a little.

Honestly, how much was there to worry about?

I have a boy I love and who loves me just the same, a family that will always be there for me, and an amazing job that I love.

Yeah, I've got it pretty good.
♠ ♠ ♠
WHOOPS. Hi. It's been awhile.

Chapter title from Dear Maria, Count Me In by All Time Low. It's cute, 'cause it's like I'm answering Nicole's previous title.... right?

Thanks to Playground Eyes for commenting!

<3 Casey

PS- Nicole is updating tomorrow to make up for our lack of updates recently...