Status: Attackative

Looking For The Words

Home is a box car, and it's so far

It's about seven when Everest and I leave the Inn, Mr and Mrs Lanser seeing us off with wishes of safe travel. I promise to take good care of him as I help the driver load our suitcases in the trunk of the town car James arranged for us. 

The drive to the airport takes less than an hour and I ask the driver to check our bags, telling him to add a hefty tip to his pay. He thanks me and I grab our carry on before lacing my fingers with Everest's. We get past security without incident and are headed through the terminal at an okay pace. Our flight isn't for another hour anyway.

Everest squeezes my hand and slows down a bit. "Luc, are you sure this is the right-"

"What did I say about worrying?" I cut him off. 

"But-" 

"No."

"Luc, listen!" He pulls me to a stop. "Our gate is the other way."

I look up at the nearest sign and realize he's right. I shrug sheepishly and pivot, leading him the right way this time. "We've got time."

"Are you're sure you don't want me to worry?" He jokes, leaning into my shoulder 

"I'm not going to dignify that with a serious answer." I mutter. He laughs and we arrive at our gate minutes later. 

After about half an hour of waiting, there's an announcement that first class is boarding. I stand and Everest looks up at me with raised eyebrows. I hold out a hand. "Are you coming?"

"First class?" 

"Nothing less for my love." I grin. He rolls his eyes but takes my hand and follows me anyway. We settle in our seats and I set up a movie, preparing for our three hour flight. 

|~|


James is waiting for us at the baggage claim with our suitcases at his feet. He looks through the crowd expectantly and smiles when he sees me. "Hey kiddo! Welcome back."

I laugh and hug him tightly. "I'm glad to see your horrible eyesight hasn't caused to to have a car accident while I was away. This is Everest. Ev, this is James."

"It's nice to finally meet you." My love smiles, hugging James quickly.

"I can only imagine the horror stories he's told you about me." James sighs. 

"Oh no. Only good things."

"Really? I'm surprised."

I scoff and hold a hand over my heart. "I'm offended that you think so little of me."

"Well when you're done being offended, the car is this way." He grabs a suitcase in each hand and shrugs us off when we try to help.

On the way to my house, James fills me in in the small list of events that's happened while I was away and tells me of the meeting my father called to schedule with me. 

That's just like my father, always going through the middle man instead of doing it directly. At least that saves me the trouble of having to call him first. It just pisses me off that he can't just face his own son like a man.

Everest senses my anger and places a hand on my knee to calm me down. It works and my feelings are in check once again when we pull up to the house.

"There are boxes in your study for when you decide to start packing because I am not doing it for you. I've arranged for some guys to come wrap the furniture in plastic on the day after New Years day and they've also been booked to load and move it the day after that." He says purposefully when we get in, leading the way straight to the kitchen. He pulls open the fridge and presents us with a deli platter. "I figured you might be hungry when you got home so here you go."

"James, you really didn't have to go through all this trouble." I insist. 

He gives me an odd look before staring at Everest. "You really have an effect on him. Before, he would have just bitched at me for not getting a bag of Doritos too." James teases.

Everest elbows me in the side and rolls his eyes sarcastically. "You treat James like that?"

"Hey," I shrug, grabbing a roll of ham off the platter and taking a bite. "He's like, my dad. No, better than my dad. He raised me. I just got used to him, you know? You were the one who said that you take advantage of those closest to you, remember?"

Ev smiles and nods slowly, opening his mouth to take a bite of the turkey I offer. James looks at us proudly and grins."Well you know, you have to let me spoil you two this week. Who knows when I'll ever get the chance again?"

Everest's eyes go wide. "Oh. Oh no. Luc, I- I didn't realize that... you'd have to leave James. He's not coming with us."

"I could never ask him to move to Vermont. His wife and daughter are here." I tell him, giving James a small smile.

"I know, I guess it just didn't sink in until now." He says softly.

"Yeah, well. I'm making the sacrifices. You'd better make it worth my while." I wink, bumping his hip so that he knows I'm kidding.

"I've never seen him like this, Everest. This happy and giddy and selfless and in love. He'd give up the world for you. He pretty much has." James says matter-of-factly. "Don't feel bad about any of it. Just enjoy him."

"I do!" Everest laughs. "And I will continue to do so."

"Good." James nods. "Tyler is in your bed so don't be alarmed when you see a fat lump of fur sleeping there. I'll see you two in the morning."

With that, James takes his leave and I grin wildly. Everest wraps up the platter and puts it back in the fridge before slipping his hand in mine. "So, where's this bulldog I've heard so much about?"

I pull him up the stairs and straight into my bedroom, skipping the grand tour for now. Tyler's head pops up when I open the door and he hops up onto his stubby legs when he sees me. I drop Everest's hand and take a running leap onto the bed. Tyler is on me and slobbering all over my face before I know it and I'm laughing, giving him praise and a belly rub in return. I grin up at Everest happily and beacon him over.

He smiles at me and allows me to pull him down on my lap. "Ah, there's no greater thing than the reunion of a man and his hound."

"Calling this mutt a hound is a stretch," I joke, "But it is pretty sweet."

"Well its nice to meet you Tyler." Ev laughs. In response, the grey pup hops up on two legs and licks his face happily. 

"Oh I think he likes you." I tease.

My boyfriend glares at me and wipes the slobber off his face. I snap and order the dog off my bed and to his own setup of lush pillows and blankets in the corner of the room. Everest looks around the room in earnest for the first time. "So this is where you live."

"Yeah, home sweet home. Not for long though." I grin, wrapping my arms around his waist.

He sighs and leans his head back to rest on my shoulder. "I can't believe you're really moving closer to be with me."

"I'd do anything for you." I murmur, kissing his neck. "We should get to bed. Long day tomorrow."

He hums in agreement and we get ready for bed side by side, just like I hope to be doing for a long, long time. Ev climbs in between the expensive, high thread count sheets and I spoon him from behind, loving the feeling of him against my chest. 

"I'm really glad you came with me." I whisper tiredly.

"I'm really glad I did too." Everest kisses my knuckles and I feel his soft breath on the palm of my hand as he falls asleep. Before I have a chance to fall into my dream world as well, a fat ball of fur hops up onto the bed and tries to wiggle his way between us. When he finds that his efforts are fruitless, Tyler settles for shimmying under the covers and pressing his wet nose against the back of my neck. 

I love Tyler to death but nothing will ever come between Everest and I. Not ever again. 
♠ ♠ ♠
HeyHeyHey. This early update is an apology :) Again, sorry for the delay :)
In other news, I'm slowly dying. Everyone around me is sick and now I am too. A few of my friends have even been kind enough to offer to plan my funeral. You're all invited :D

PlaygroundEyes
Kade Holloway.
UnderTheThought [x3]
Caitlynnnn


In all seriousness, you guys rock. So hard.

Let us know what you think?