Status: Attackative

Looking For The Words

This city is my city

Chicago is a big city compared to other places. To me, though, this is home. Where I grew up and spent the vast majority of my 24 years. I know this city like the back of my hand and that's saying something considering how much it changes just on a daily basis. I suppose that being in the power company business it's only natural to be a step ahead of everything. 

Walking down the street, navigating through the people, it's second nature. I mostly ignore the scenery since I could close my eyes and draw a perfect map, but Everest is enjoying things so much that it'd be heartless to hurry him along. I'm eager to see my sister but then again, I haven't seen her in a few months. What's a few more minutes? Besides, when's the next time I'll get to bring him here?

I point out all my favorite places to shop and all the restaurants I've told him about. He stops to listen to one or two street performers and I tip them extra just for making him smile. Before long we're at the bistro and I hold the door open for him. He hesitates and I nudge him gently. I take his hand tightly in mine and stride up to the host. The finely dressed man looks at me and smiles widely.

"Mr Carlyn! So good to see you again! And with a special friend I see." He exclaims. Yeah, I guess I've eaten here more than a lot of other places. What can I say? James has two days off a week. I had to eat something.

"It's good to see you too, Henry." I grin. 

"Table for two?"

"Actually my sister should be here already."

Recognition flickers across his face and his smile widens. "Ah! I should have known by the hair. Almost identical." 

I shrug and follow him to a table somewhere in the middle of the bistro. My sister sits there with her menu propped in front of her face, legs crossed and foot tapping in a way I know only happens when she's impatient. I thank Henry and stand directly in front of her.

"Excuse me miss, don't I know you from somewhere?"

Mallory dropps the menu almost instantly and springs into my arms, causing me to stumble back a bit. "Luc! Oh, I'm so happy to see you! What took you so long?!"

"Ev's never been here before. I was showing him around." I explain, pulling said man forward. 

There's only a flash of hesitation before Mallory's got him in a vice-like grip of a hug and he's squeezing back with almost as much force. "It's great to see you too." 

"Mal, I haven't seen you in years. What have you done with your hair?" He asks, worry seeming to melt almost as fast as an ice cube on a hot day. 

She runs her fingers through her bob cut and sighs. "Horribly upsetting accident I'm afraid." 

She then launches into a story about how, while on a hike through a particularly dense forest, she tripped and her hair caught in a bush. They had to cut her loose. I find the whole thing hilarious but Mallory and Everest glare at me, insisting that it's anything but. 

And this is where I realize that they're best friends. Maybe they don't notice it yet, but they feed off each other and they're honestly a force to be reckoned with. Everest only relaxes more and more throughout the meal, but that little part of him is still worried for some reason. I can see it in his eyes.
 
And then Mallory shatters his peace of mind. "So you two are doing well huh? Luc is moving and whatnot. It's a big commitment."

Everest freezes and so I step in, taking his hand in mine and threading our fingers. "Yeah, it is. But it's one I'm willing to make. I mean, with what happened between our parents and me I think that that's clear."

"Oh absolutely." She agrees. "I'm really happy for you, Luc. Standing up to them and learning from the mistake you made last year. My baby brother's finally all grown up!" 

I shush her and notice that Everest has relaxed considerably. "So you're . . . happy?" 

"Of course! You two deserve each other in the best way possible." Mallory finishes her drink and motions for the check. "Ev, I don't know why you were worried. Do you really think I'd suddenly hate you just because Luc's moving?"

"I . . . I guess it was sort of silly." He admits.

"Sort of?" I snort, wincing as an elbow meets my ribs. The waiter comes with the check and I pay, waving off the protests that come from the both of them. He hands me back my card a few minutes later with well wishes of a happy new year.

Mallory gasps and stands suddenly. "New Years Eve is tomorrow!"

"Good observation sis." I laugh. 

"Oh shut up! We need to make plans! This is the first year neither one of us has to go to mom's godforsaken party." 

She does have a point. This marks the true beginning of a new way of living. It has to be special. Very special.

I nod in agreeance. "Well I have a meeting with dad tomorrow at three but after that I'm free. You two should plan something. I'll go along with anything."

After a brief rant about how lazy I am, Mallory and Everest link arms and walk a solid five paces in front of me all the way back to my apartment. I'm fine with it. Happy even. Everything will be fine. I've got everything and I intend on keeping it. I intend on keeping Everest. 
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! So there was no need for him to worry after all. Of course. We're almost done you guys. It'll be hard to let these two go but it has to happen :(

UnderTheThought (X2)

Even though youre my sister and youre just catcjing up, THANKYOUSOMUCH. We really appreciate it.

Let us know what you think?