Status: Attackative

Looking For The Words

You're my best friend

Mallory and I were quickly becoming friends again, bonding over shared memories and interests and laughing at how clueless Lucas was when we were younger. Mallory had always been different than the rest of her family and that had not changed. She told me all about her backpacking trip and her current work with a company that specializes in eco-friendly camping gear.

"So many times, people go camping and they think they can just head out the next day, but it's really starting to fuck with the campsites."

"That's a pretty cool job, though." I said, looking at her across the table Lucas and I had eaten breakfast at this morning. Mallory had come back with me to the hotel while Lucas was having his meeting with his father so that we could discuss New Year's.

"Yeah. I'm enjoying it a lot." she said. "But enough about that. Let's talk about you."

"I thought we were planning New Year's." I said.

"No. Seriously, that'll take like, twelve seconds." she said, rolling her eyes. "I want to talk about you and Lucas. What happened? Last I heard from him before this year was that he was being an ass and too nervous about screwing shit up with Dad to call you. Now you guys are moving in together. I think I've missed a bit."

I blushed slightly and looked down. "Yeah. It's been a ride."

"So what happened? Seriously, how did you get him to stop being a turd about the whole thing?"

"I didn't do anything." I said, shrugging. "He got there and all of a sudden it was like he wanted the past year to never have happened. It took some convincing, but you know... Eventually I gave in."

"Well, if it means anything, he really did want to call you. I saw him pull out the phone a couple times, scroll down to your name and then... pause and put it away. Even though my parents don't want me around, Lucas and I would still hang out sometimes. We'd be hanging out and he'd pull out his phone while we were talking and look at it as if he was trying to make a decision; or we'd be at a party and he'd go off in a corner and get out his phone, then minutes later, put it away and come back to the party. He was being a dick, is what he was being. And he knows it. He was just... scared."

"I know." I said. "And... I've forgiven him. Completely. I didn't think I'd ever be able to, but now he's back in my life, I trust him more than anyone, and I'd rather him go a year without talking to me again than lose him forever."

She smiled at me and it looked as if she were about to cry.

"Are you okay?" I said, my brow furrowed.

"I'm fine." she said, laughing slightly. "Just... I'm so proud of Lucas. I wanted him to get away from the family because they were just making him miserable, but he was too stubborn. Too loyal to the wrong people. And now, he's so happy and he makes you so happy, and I just... I love seeing him like this. He hasn't been this happy in a long time. So, I guess... thanks. For doing that for him. For us."

I smiled and felt like I was about to start crying. "Thank you." I said. "I've never been... thanked for making someone happy. I mean, seeing Lucas happy is what makes me happy. So you know, it's no problem."

"Seriously, though." she said. "I hope you two last. And as long as Lucas doesn't do something stupid like last time, I think you will. Now. New Year's."

"New Year's." I said, nodding.

"I have a rooftop at my apartment building that I rent out every year for a few friends of mine. This year though, it's only a few friends, some that Lucas and I have known our whole lives. But there shouldn't be more than twenty people total. Do you and Lucas just want to join us? I mean, it's a pretty chill night. We watch the ball drop, and toast and hang out."

"So you basically had the entire night planned, and this was an excuse to talk to me about Lucas and I's relationship?"

"Yeah, basically." she said, laughing.

It was good to see Mallory again... and I could easily see Lucas, Mallory and I becoming a sort of... family.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lyrics from the Queen song.

I'm sorry this is late, but Nicole granted me a break for my birthday slash having a cold. So please forgive my lateness.

If any of you have an extra 3 bucks lying around, I've got a friend who'll make you a bracelet (Supernatural-themed or otherwise) and you'll be contributing to her being able to pay for her ticket to her best friend's wedding, in which she is the maid of honor. You can learn more here

Thanks to the following for commenting!

Playground Eyes
Caitlynnnn
mekatmuse
UnderTheThought (x5)


<3 Casey

PS- Tiff, I think we're gonna include a piggy back now, if only because that picture is so gosh darn cute.