Status: Attackative

Looking For The Words

For the rest of my life

The offices of the Carlyn Power Company lie smack dab in the middle of uptown Chicago. I've never been anywhere like it before, honestly, and I hope I never am. It's almost perfect. Though, I grew up here so I may be a little bias.

At first I didn't understand why Everest felt the need to insist I come dressed in my complete business attire and I'm suddenly glad I did as I walk into the building. If this is the last time I'm going to see my father I want him to see that I plan on being successful and happy, even if that means not having him in my life.

"Where's my father?" I direct the question at his assistant, noticing that the lights in his office are off.

"He's out to lunch. He should be back in five minutes."

"Just like him to be late for a scheduled meeting." I scoff. I walk past her and into my fathers office, ignoring her protests.

I almost feel bad for my actions. It's not her fault that my father is a seemingly incompetent businessman. She probably needs this job. I drop down into the chair behind his desk and prop my feet up on the stained oak. 

True to the assistants word, he's here in five minutes, eyebrows raised in surprise. "Get your feet off my desk. Have a little respect. I know your mother and I taught you better than that."

"No, James taught me better than that. And honestly dad, who are you to talk about respect when you're five minutes late to a meeting you scheduled."

He shrugs and drops his briefcase onto the desk. "I didn't think you'd show up."

"Well I'm here aren't I?"

He chuckles and takes a seat on the edge of the desk. "This is true." He runs his hand across his face. "Look son, I have done a lot of thinking lately. You really are the best businessman I've ever employed. It'd be a shame to waste your god given talent in Vermont, wouldn't it?"

"Dad, I'm not staying here." I say slowly, speaking clearly as if that'd make him understand better.

"No, I'm not asking you to stay. I know that there's no hope in that. I had an idea last week, you see. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Carlyn Power Company . . . expanded?" He says slowly, waiting for me to catch on.

"You mean-"

"Open a branch in Vermont." He says excitedly. He jumps up from the desk and starts pacing. "I'd send out a few consultants to help get things off the ground, of course, but after that, it'd be all you. The big kahuna."

I take a second to mull this over before smiling widely. "That- it sounds too good to be true."

"Well it's true!" He laughs. "I haven't been this excited since your mother bought those gigantic shrimp for the Christmas party three years ago."

I laugh remembering. We thought he'd have an aneurism. He was running all over the house and we had a slight fear that he'd start performing sexual favors to it.

The rest of the meeting is spent making preliminary plans. It's definitely a work in progress but so far it's turning out great. I can already tell that during the planning there will have to be a lot of business meetings both here in Chicago and in Vermont, which means seeing my father more than I thought I would after our falling out. 

At this moment I don't think that that would be such a bad thing. Around six he looks at his watch and sighs. "I have a meeting across town in about half an hour so I should get going."

"Right," I nod. "Well thank you. For everything."

"You're my son and I want you to be successful." He shrugs, pulling on his jacket and grabbing his laptop. "And Lucas, I want you to be happy too. Really. Even if your mother and I don't agree with your lifestyle, we're proud that you're on the straight and narrow. Figuratively speaking."

I laugh at that and hold out a hand. He ignores it completely and hugs me tightly instead. Almost as suddenly as it happened, it's over and he's out the door. I honestly can't remember the last time either one of my parents told me they were proud of me or the last time my dad hugged anyone other than my mother.

My phone buzzes in my pocket, signaling a text and breaking me out of my daze. Meet us on the roof of Mallory's building at eight xo

The text from my boyfriend makes me smile and I seriously have to resist the urge to call him. I'll see him in two hours. I can wait that long...

I hail a cab easily and give the driver the address of my old house. With traffic and everything it takes about half an hour. Finding the key on the key ring is all too natural and for a moment, it feels like I'm just coming home from a day of work. 

Then I open the door and reality be comes clear again. There are boxes and boxes of stuff piled everywhere. All of the furniture is wrapped in plastic, ready to be moved. The only room in the house that isn't packed up is my room which I just haven't gotten around to yet. 

I have enough time to walk Tyler, take a lengthy shower and take my time getting ready. The perks of being a man are endless.

Before I head out, I cross the room and pull open the top drawer of my dresser. Buried under several layers of socks and boxers is a black velvet box holding the most elegantly simple engagement ring I've ever set eyes on. Hopefully Everest will think so too.

Since I did take my time, the traffic is pretty bad and I end up being almost twenty minutes late. If anyone noticed, no one says anything. Except for my sister of course, who pokes fun at me for never being on time for anything. The familiar faces of our friends join in with her and I have no choice but to laugh along. The atmosphere is charged with happiness and togetherness and the warmth of Everest pressed against my chest makes me wish that this moment will never end.

As the night goes on, the small box in my pocket gets a little heavier. I'm actually starting to get nervous because what if he says no? I mean, I know he loves me and there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that I love him. But didn't we agree we'd go slow? We haven't even had sex since we got back together and honesty, that was only three weeks ago.

But this is what I want and I'm going to take the chance. Hopefully he'll understand where I'm coming from. My plan is to make him my fiancé by the time the new year is here. Start it off right and all that.

Someone calls out that there's only five minutes left until the ball drops and I take a deep breath. It's now or never. 

"Ev, can I ask you something?" I say slowly.

"Yeah, Luc. What is it?" He asks, taking a sip of the champagne Mallory just handed him. It's only his first glass so I don't have to worry about a drunk Everest. He's not a big drinker anyway. Neither am I. Just one more way we're perfect for each other. 

"Well, you love me, right?"

"Of course I do." He nods.

"And you know, without a doubt, that I love you?"

"Absolutely." He agrees slowly. "What's this-?"

He cuts himself off when he notices the black box in my hand. Everest looks at it and then watches with wide eyes as I drop to one knee. I open the box slowly and grin up at him with a somewhat shaky smile. 

"Everest Lanser, will you marry me?"
♠ ♠ ♠
OhhYes. That just happened.

Let us know what you think.