Status: Attackative

Looking For The Words

Just say yes

I'm not usually one to be speechless.

I have thoughts, and opinions, and I have no issues with expressing them. My mom says I was talking before I knew what the words I was saying meant, and that hasn't really stopped. It's kind of a bad habit of mine that I just say things without really thinking them through, and I'll be the first to admit that I talk a lot, maybe too much at times.

So it's not very often that I'm left speechless, but somehow, Lucas managed it.

I looked down at the ring glinting up at me, trying to understand what was happening. I couldn't quite connect what the things in front of me meant. Lucas started speaking again, and I looked away from the ring to listen and try to process what he was asking.

"I mean, I know that we've only been back together for like, three weeks, and I know this is crazy fast. Some would say too fast. We don't have to get married tomorrow, or even this year, because I want us to be able to get used to being together again before we do anything permanent. But I know you're the person that I want to spend the rest of my life with and a year, or ten years, isn't going to change that. I don't care if it takes us years to finally do it, I just want to promise you that we'll be married one day.

"So I guess this isn't so much of an engagement ring as it is a promise ring, but there you are. This is me, kneeling in front of you and telling you I want to be with you for the rest of my life, and that someday, I want to marry you. So... what do you say?"

I looked back down at the ring, glinting in the lights strung up around us on the rooftop and felt myself start to smile.

"Ev?" Lucas asked, looking so adorably worried that I almost wasn't sorry for taking so long to answer. "Say something, please."

"You really want to be with me?" I asked, looking into his eyes and seeing nothing but love.

"More than anything I've wanted in my entire life."

My smile got bigger and I practically threw myself into his arms, almost knocking him over in the process. I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed my way across his jawline before whispering in his ears. "Then, I guess I'll let you."

He leaned back and looked me in the eye. "Was that a yes?"

"Yes." I said, rolling my eyes. "I'll marry you... eventually."

He smiled so big I thought his face would split in two and pulled me close, kissing me enthusiastically.

At first, we were smiling too much for it to be good, but as we worked our way into it, it became passionate and loving and probably one of the best kisses of my life. There was no sense of urgency or lust about it, just love, plain and simple; no more, no less.

I heard the countdown of those around us end and I pulled back to look at him, to look at my fiance, and smiled as the fireworks began going off around us.

"So cliche." I laughed, too happy to keep the smile off of my face.

"Yeah, well, you're the one that fell in love with the rich kid who visited your parent's B&B."

"I guess we are pretty cliche." I said, kissing him lightly, not really able to keep my hands off of him.

He seemed to think it over. "Nah, I really don't think there's anyone out there who loves you like I do."

"You're so cheesy." I said, laughing at him once more before going in for another kiss.

"Hey, lovebirds break it up. I need a New Year's kiss from my - oh my god, Lucas, is that a ring?" Mallory yelled, looking at the open box on the ground next to us.

We pulled away from each other to see Mallory standing not 10 feet away from us with her jaw hanging open in shock.

"Yeah, it is." Lucas said, looking sheepish.

"You were planning to propose and you didn't tell me?" Mallory said, sounding incredibly offended. "I'm your sister!"

"I know, but-"

"Luc, I really don't think you're gonna talk your way out of this one." I said, smiling at the way the two of them interacted. "Just say you're sorry."

"Yeah, listen to your goddamn fiance you got without telling me."

"Sorry, Mal." he said, laughing. "He said yes, if you were wondering."

"Well, duh." she said, rolling her eyes. "As if he'd say no. When's the wedding?"

"About that..." Lucas said.

"It won't be for awhile." I said, finishing it for him. "We're getting used to being together again first."

"Oh, that's probably a good thing." Mallory said. "Well, when you two do decide to get married, hit me up. I know an awesome wedding planner or two."

"All right, thanks." I said, laughing.

"Yeah, thanks, Mal." Lucas said. "But, when we do get married... I want it to be at the inn..."

I turned to look at him, shock on my face. "No fancy city wedding?"

"That's not us, Ev. Never has been." he said, looking me in the eye with determination.

I smiled and felt my heart swell. "I love you. So much."

"I love you, too."
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, the title's from a Taylor Swift song. Deal with it.

Hope you all enjoyed this chapter! Let us know what you think!

Thanks to the following for commenting, and to the rest of you for reading!

Caitlynnnn
Playground Eyes
UnderTheThought
Sarcastically Blunt

<3 Casey

PS- This is Everest's ring and Idk if we'll get that far, but in my mind, these are the rings they'd have when they get married. They have the thumbprint of your spouse engraved on the inside. Like, Everest's (the small one) has Lucas' and Lucas' has Everests....