Status: Attackative

Looking For The Words

My heart and yours are the same

Whenever you ask someone about their wedding day, you often hear them say that it was the best day of their life; before now, I’d viewed that as just something that people say.

But standing here, facing Lucas and getting ready to make the final commitment to be with him for the rest of my life, I finally understood what they meant.

It was like everything was finally falling into place. After all of the drama and all of the stress that we’d been through together to finally get to this place, we were finally getting married. Lucas would be mine and only mine for the rest of our lives. We would live together at the inn and take care of each other, and our guests, and we would be able to be happy for a long time. I was sure of it.

“Everest Lanser, do you take Lucas Carlyn to be your lawfully wedded husband?”

I look up at the minister, then over at Lucas and smile, barely believing what I was about to say. “I do.”

“And do you, Lucas Carlyn, take Everest Lanser to be your lawfully wedded husband?”

Lucas smiled and even though he tried to hide it, I could see he was tearing up. “I do.”

“Then by the power vested in me by the state of Vermont, I now pronounce you husband and husband. You may kiss.”

I couldn’t help the smile that broke out across my face and the tears that sprung to my eyes as I practically jumped forwards and wrapped my arms around Lucas, kissing him through the smile. I listened to our friends and family cheer and applaud as we kissed and felt like nothing could ever be better than this moment.

“We did it.” Lucas whispered against my lips.

“We did.” I said, smiling and taking his hand in mine before leading him down the aisle and around a corner, where we were met with the marriage certificate we’d gotten the other day and signed it, making our marriage official and legal.

I picked up the pen and started signing when Lucas’ name caught my eye.

“Wait-“ I said, taking his hand to stop him from signing.

“What?” he said, laughing.

“That’s not your name.” I said, pointing down to the name printed below where he would sign.

“It is now.” he said, smiling and signing his name: Lucas Lanser

“You changed your name for me?” I asked, awe struck.

“Well I couldn’t very well be the co-owner of the Lanser in without being named Lanser.” he said, leaning down and kissing my temple.

“I can’t believe you.” I said, shaking my head.

“You better start.” he said. “Because you just agreed to spend your whole life with me.”

“I did, didn’t I?” I said, smiling. “Well, I guess I just have to accept my fate.”

He leaned down and kissed me deeply and passionately, something we agreed we wouldn’t do in front of our friends and family. No one wanted to see us making out. Or, well, if they did, they could keep that particular desire to themselves.

“Come on, we have a bunch of people waiting for us to come out.”

“I think it might be a little late for that.” I said, smirking.

“Oh, you know what I meant.” Lucas said.

“I did, I just enjoy messing with you.”

We walked out into the reception hall to tumultuous applause and I smiled at how well Mallory had designed the wedding to fit both our tastes (which, believe me, was hard enough to do with bed sheets).

“Welcome Mr. and Mr. Lanser, the newlyweds, for their first dance!” the DJ announced and the applause got even louder.

We went out onto the dance floor and I wrapped my arms around Lucas as the music started to play and we started to dance slowly to the cheesy, but still romantic song playing in the background.

“Thank you.” Lucas said quietly.

“Thank you?” I said questioningly. “Why ‘thank you’?”

“Well, you gave me another chance when I really didn’t deserve one. I was an asshole who almost ruined the best part of his life, and you were amazing enough to give me one more chance and you made me a much better person than I was.”

“You don’t have to thank me for that.” I said, still smiling. My cheeks were actually starting to hurt from smiling so much. “And besides, I got a pretty good deal, too. I get to marry you.”

“Oh, stop it with the wedding day sappiness. You know that doesn’t work on me.”

“Then why are you blushing?” I said, cocking my head to the side. “And that doesn’t work on me, either. I’m completely aware how much of a hopeless romantic you are- don’t even try to pretend you’re not.”

“You always did know me too well.” Lucas said. “But, you know, there was this quote somewhere: ‘You know you’ve found the right person where they love you just the way you are, but you still want to be a better person when you’re around them.’ That’s how you make me feel.”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“I mean, you’re gonna be stuck with me for quite some time.” he said. “Maybe even our whole lives.”

“I think I’ll be able to handle that. Somehow.” I smiled as the song ended and Lucas dipped me back in his arms, kissing me soundly.

And in that moment, I swear I’d never been happier.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi! It's been awhile, eh? Nicole and I are both at college and growing up and stuff, so it's been a bit crazy, what with site updates and moving in places etc. Thanks for sticking with us, though!

The title of this chapter is a bastardized version of a lyric from January Wedding by The Avett Brothers

Also, this story is almost over :( Well, hopefully you'll be happy to see them happy!

Thanks to the following for commenting (I'm not quite sure who exactly commented, so I'm just listing all the recent ones):

Playground Eyes
Elodin
Sarcastically Blunt
Caitlynnnn
UnderTheThought

and to the rest for reading!

Adios! Hasta la vista!