The Journal of Raccoon City Police Officer Jack Maydach

September 1, 1998

It took us about four days to make it the Hive. We’re here. We’ve come across so many disgusting things – I can’t even begin to explain them to you. We’ve run into a few zombies – mostly in white coats. Nick and I decided we’d take their key cards so we can move around easily. Some of them even had computer codes on them.

Exploring the Hive caused us to come into contact with even more horribly ugly and deformed monsters. The first one we came across were dogs. These were the ones in the papers and magazines – except, in person, they looked so much more worse. Flesh and meat were hanging off their bones. Their ribcages and other bones showed through. Their teeth, long and sharp looked as if they’d been longing for some fresh meat. They lunged at us just as we moved out of their way. What happened to these dogs wasn’t anything like what happened to humans.

Humans, when infected and after reanimating, were slow and had no thoughts or instincts – except to kill and eat you. These dogs were faster and more rabid than a normal dog. . . They growled and snarled and lunged. You had to hope you could get away or kill them before they got to you. We unloaded almost two magazines each on them. There were too many of them and now we were surrounded by them.

“Jack. What do we do? We’re almost out of ammo.”

“You see those steel bars? You’re gonna make a run for ‘em while I cover you. Just start bashing their heads in. On the count of three. Ready? One… Two… Three!” He ran over to the bars and bashed in the heads of twenty dogs. I managed to shoot another ten. We ran out of there as fast as we could. We walked into a lab with a bunch of computers. Some of them were still on. A few were destroyed.

I ran to a computer and typed in the codes. I found information on all of their experiments. They’ll be in this book. Don’t worry about that. But I found the most important information – the antidote. I printed out the information on the creatures and the antidote. I looked around to see if there was a science lab around where I could make the antidote. I know we had passed a couple on the way to this room, but those had all been destroyed. There were two left. One was too far away, and there was another just around the corner. I hoped it was usable.

Nick and I reloaded our guns, and headed out on the troop. Clearing every hallway and room we passed took a while, but I didn’t want to take too many chances. I just wanted to get the fuck out of here and find a safe place – though who knows that means anymore. . . There might not be a place like that anymore. We found all the chemicals needed to make the antidote, but I didn’t understand what any of it meant. I was a cop. The last time I had chemistry had to be in junior year of high school and Lord knows that I didn’t remember shit from then now.

Nick took the instructions and started to mix things up. He poured something blue, boiled it, something red, stirred them and boiled that. I checked the doorway to see if anyone was coming. It was clear.

The moment I turned back around to tell Nick that we killed every one of those last bastards in this place, it happened. He dropped the wrong chemical into what was to be the antidote and the next moment, he was splattered across the back wall. The only identifiable piece left was his ear.

There was no way what I was looking was real. It was a joke. Or, better yet, it was a zombie that had blown up, and Nick was going to come up from behind and ask me what the hell I did to obliterate the son of a bitch. . . But then again, I know that’s not going to happen. I’m alone now. . . So desperately alone. . .

My wife shot herself in the head. My daughter could very well be a zombie. My son is lying in a cave with a hole through his brains. My best friend is splattered against the back wall of the only usable science lab.

I know what I have to do.

This is the end.

I can only hope that whoever you are, you have a better end than me and my family. I can only hope that everything I’ve written here will help you. If it does, you’re welcome. If it doesn’t, I’m sorry to have failed my community as a trusted and responsible Raccoon City police officer.

You may take any of the guns and ammo that I have in my bag, which is sitting right next to me. Take it. I don’t need it anymore. I’d rather have it help you than to sit here and waste away with a dead person. Go on. Take it.

One more piece of important information:

THERE WILL BE AN EXTRACTION ON TOP OF METAL WORKS. ANYONE ALIVE PLEASE MAKE IT THERE. THEY’RE BOMBING THE CITY ON OCT 1 AT 9AM.

Good luck.