The Journal of Raccoon City Police Officer Jack Maydach

July 6, 1998

Today, a lady called us in hysterics about a man covered in blood and not moving lying on her front yard. My mind raced to what it could be. If it wasn’t moving, then someone must have already killed him, or his brain hasn’t yet reanimated. Then again, it could just be a man and not a zombie. A few of us went out and blocked off the street. Photos were taken, an ambulance came, and questions were asked.

About twenty minutes after the phone call came in the man was taken to the local hospital. On the eleven o’clock news, they showed him again. Saying that he was in a coma when he arrived at the ER, and about half an hour later, the man seemed to break from the coma and attacked the nurse who was changing his bandages at the time. She was being watched over in intensive care. She was currently feeling total body numbness.

… If these people were already being taken the hospital – two that I know of are there – who knows how fast this is going to spread now… Who knows how many more infected people were taken to the hospital… Who knows how many people are going to call into the P.D. asking what they should do… Oh, crap. This is gonna be one hell of a time… Lord help us all.