Got a One Way Ticket on a Hell-Bound Train

Herd of Sheep

Gerard glanced out the window as the dull scenery quickly passed him by. Houses, trees, people, cars…
He had tried to read a bit but it only made him feel sick, so now he was reduced to staring out the window for the next god-only-knows hours.
Luckily for him, he had a fully charged iPod and his old disc-man with him, just in case.
Also he had his cell, which he regularly used to send messages to his brother with his where-about and well-being.

Where he was going, he had no idea. He was just fed up with everyone’s demands, school, nagging friends, parents and everything shitty.
So he just took off. Mikey, his brother, wasn’t too happy about his brother’s rushed backpacking trip to a destination unknown, but was supportive as always.
So he had helped Gerard pack a bag of things, and even lent him some of his savings, in case of emergency.
He followed him to the bus-station, telling him over and over again to stay in touch at all times, if something were to happen.

And now, 2 hours later, Gerard was on his way. He was out of New Jersey, but had not paid attention to which state he had now entered.
Iron Maiden's Wasted Years was loudly blared trough his iPod-earplugs and he softly hummed along, tapping the beat in his thigh.

Suddenly he felt a poke to his shoulder. He turned his attention away from the passing scenery, currently consisting of a herd of sheep, to the owner of the poking finger. The man smiled, and Gerard removed his earplugs.

“Is this seat taken? The young man asked with a smile. Gerard glanced around the bus and noticed it was quite full. He nodded to the man, and removed his bag from the seat next to him. He placed it by his feet, as did his neighbour as he flopped down on his seat.
Gerard returned his attention to the outside world. The herd of sheep had now disappeared and was replaced with empty fields.

“Where are you going?”
He turned his head. The stranger was still smiling, and looking at him expectantly.
“Don’t know yet.” He answered truthfully, earning a small chuckle from his neighbour. “And you?”

The stranger suddenly frowned, and bit down on his lower lip. “My fiancée. “
“You’re not happy about seeing your fiancée?” Gerard asked confused.
“I’m breaking up with her.” He said in a soft voice, looking down at his folded hands.
“Oh…” Gerard mumbled, not knowing the proper reply to such a confession.
They both fell silent.

“May I ask why?” Gerard asked after a little while.
“I don’t mind.” The stranger replied. “She’s just not my type.”
Gerard frowned. “If she’s not your type, why are you engaged to her?”
“I really wanted her to be…” The man replied quietly. “But I can’t do it. I don’t love her in the way I should, and she deserves better.”
Gerard nodded. “You’re doing the right thing.”
The man chuckled and smiled at him. “Thanks… So, what’s your name?”

“Gerard.” He said, reaching his hand out. The stranger shook his hand and smiled. “Frank.”
Frank… Reminded Gerard of the cranky grandpa from Everybody Loves Raymond. He almost laughed out loud as he pictures young Frank as the TV-show Frank.
He told Frank this. “Reminds me of Frank Barone.” He smirked.

Frank thankfully wasn’t offended and just laughed. “Well, your name reminds me of this comedian I saw once. He said this very true thing. ’Kids always made fun of my name, and called me Gayrard. Kids can be so cruel… And right!’” He giggled, wiggling his eyebrows.
Gerard laughed ad shook his head. “Yeah, I’ve seen him too. Funny guy. And he got my sympathies, for sharing my weird but pretty name.”

“So?” Frank smiled, curiosity clearly written on his face.
“So, what?” Gerard asked.
“Are you Gayrard?” He smiled innocently.
Gerard laughed, and several of their fellow passengers turned at this strange question.
“You are quite forward, aren’t you?”
Frank smiled and nodded.

“Well, I’m not telling.” Gerard smirked; turning his iPod back on and placing the earplugs back in. After only a few seconds his right earplug is removed, and as he turns his head he sees Frank place it in his ear.
“Aaah, Papa Roach!” He smiled approvingly. “I like you now.”
Gerard chuckled. “Yeah, they’re awesome.”

A comfortable silence fell over them as both men just listened to the music escaping Gerards iPod.
“I am.” Frank said, after about half an hour of silence.
“You are what?” Gerard asked, turning his head once again to look at his neighbour.
“Gayrard… without the ‘rard’.” He said quietly.
“Oh…” Gerard said slowly, again not knowing a proper reply.

“Yeah…” Frank said, fiddling with his sleeve. “I didn’t want to be. So that’s why I stayed together with Miriam. But… I don’t know, its just unfair to her because I don’t love her!”
“That sucks.” Gerard said sympathetically.
“Mmm, yeah.” Frank replied distantly.

“Well, at least you tried. And now you know that you are gay, and this is not just some passing faze or something.”
“Yeah, I tried!” Frank smiled weakly.”
When you try your best, but you don’t succeed, when you get what you want, but not what you need…” Gerard hummed silently, earning a chuckle from Frank.
“Jesus Christ!” He said, still laughing.
And Gerard smiled, happy he made Frank smile again.

Frank finally stopped, and shook his head. “Now, enough about me. What are you doing here, going a place you don’t know where is yet?”
♠ ♠ ♠
First time I ever used the Author's Note box.. Fancy 8D

Okay, so this is all I got so far. And late night boredom, and sadness for no longer getting comments on my other stories, made me post this now. Without having anything else written out. Hopefully I'll get the chance later, but first I want to know if anyone thinks its good.
So comment, or else its never moving anywhere. mwahahahaha... =D
Oh, and apologies for whatever errors there are here. As I said, I wrote this on a bus, so my details weren't perfect, and my grammar kind of sucks. Lets blame that on that English is my second language.

C.O.M.M.E.N.T
<3 Tonje McDrunken