The Ambush

The Ambush

The grey wolf lay, crouching down patiently in the glistening white snow. Flakes flecked her elegant muzzle as she maintained her position on the rocky ledge. Amber eyes gleaming as she awaited her prey.

Suddenly her ears shot up, pricked and alert. Far off in the distance a reindeer was making its way through the trees. Its unhurried pace showed no sign of apprehension, pausing momentarily to nibble at a small tuft of foliage that had struggled through the smothering layer winter had provided.

Chewing casually with its lower jaw repeatedly moving, the reindeer looked around, disinterest in its large brown eyes. It continued at a steady plod, hooves leaving large holes in the snow. As it travelled, the reindeer continued to glance here and there, a slight change appeared in the deer’s course and its pace became marginally more hastened. Its goal, a young sapling with sweet, fresh lime green shoots coming off of a small deadened branch.

The wolf shifted its weight minutely, slightly further back onto its haunches, the slight movement allowing it to coil its muscles in preparation. A single string of saliva extended itself towards the snow, the wolf licked her lips, a small snick emanating from its maw as razor sharp teeth collided in the process.

The reindeer arrived at its destination and reached out to the young green buds. Delicately and with care, the reindeer plucked a small mouthful off the branch. The tender greens caused the reindeer to chew slowly, savouring the sweetness. After swallowing the mouthful, the deer glanced around swiftly, intent on replacing it. Catching site of more foliage protruding from the rock face the deer stretched to its fullest height, neck straight in the air, mouth open and lips straining to reach their goal. Large, rounded brown eyes met almond shaped amber ones.

The reindeer leapt back and bugled in terror as the wolf launched itself from atop the rocky ledge. Scrambling backwards in an attempt to turn and flee, the deer’s legs tangled. The wolf was a grey blur as it took advantage and leapt, teeth gleaming, at the deer’s throat. Fangs like miniscule ceramic daggers piercing soft fur and eventually skin.

The deer bugled again, a bellow of agony as, in slow motion, its knees buckled entirely and it sank to the floor. The wolf shook its head, tightening its death grip as crimson stained the surrounding snow that was once so pure.

The deer attempted one last cry and managed all but a piteous bleat as the last of the oxygen left its lungs. Its eyes gained a misty film as it ceased its weak struggle. The wolf shook a final time before releasing its prey. The deer’s body convulsed as the wolf looked on, victory in its eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Random, but hey. Considering it was written in the middle of a Sociology essay I don't think it is all too bad.