Status: Fin.

My Life as a Navy Wife

Unexpected

A week before Jack is meant to walk through my front door again, I get a knock on my door. Puzzled I dry my hands on the tea towel and walk to our front door, I look through the peep hole and frown when I don't recognise the face.

"Hello?" I smile unsurely as I open the door.

"Hey Jackie," the man whispers and looks up.

"Umm, hi," I chew on my bottom lip as I try to figure out who this man is.

"Its me Jackie, Lucas, I came to apologise for everything that happened between us all those years ago, I was hoping we could maybe become friends again, try to pick up where we left off," Lucas fiddles with his nails and shifts his weight a little.

"Mumma!" I hear Lulu call as she runs through the house looking for me.

"Oh, I'm sorry Jackie, I didn't realise you had kids, I didn't realise you were even with someone, I'm sorry, I'll leaveā€¦but umm if you did want to just be friends this is my number, he hands me a card and I take it before shutting the door.

Thoughts rush through my head as I try to process what on earth had just happened. I call out to Lulu and she launches herself at my legs. She begs me to come play barbies with her and I smile and follow her, watching her curly dark brown hair bounce as she skips down the hall, her little pink dress flowing. My gorgeous 3 year old girl.

*

"Who was at the door Mummy?" she asks as we sit on the floor between her bed and Joey's bed.

"Just someone Mummy used to know well before you were born, it doesn't matter ma petite cherie," I smile at her and she giggles when I speak the french words. Work had me talking with the french branch of the company to explain where I was going with my designs, so I was learning the language fast.

"Okay, do you think Daddy will know who I am?" she asks quietly as she puts her barbie into the toy car.

"Well of course, we talk to him on Skype all the time and he gets all the photos we take for him, I think he's worried you won't know who he is," I smile and she looks at me wide-eyed.

"Why would he worry about that? I love my daddy!" she looks at me shocked and I can't help but laugh.

"Don't worry sweetheart, he knows that you do, now, lets go find your brother and we can make a cake together," I smile and we walk around the house to find Joey.

We spend the rest of the afternoon attempting to make a cake but the kids end up getting more on themselves than in the bowls. Laughing I pick them up and we walk into the bathroom where I run a bath for them.