Broken but Living

#13

Sky stared up at Matt who had a guilty look in his eyes. He looked down at the floor and then back up at her before letting go of her and spinning around to look out of the window.

“It annoys me how I don't own anybody anymore.” He barked, bringing his hand up and biting his large finger.

Sky shook her head while brushing herself down, “I would appreciate it if you didn't try and hurt me when all I'm doing is helping you out.”

“I'm sorry.”

“Brian's cooked you some chicken and rice.” She finished, ignoring his apology and turning on her heel to walk out the door. Walking down the hallway she heard Matt clear his throat and then cuss underneath his breath.

She knew he would have little snaps like that but that was just something she would have to endure until he got better. When he is better, everybody would see the old Matt back, it was worth it.

For now Sky had come up with a plan. Ignore him whenever he snapped angry words at her and ignore him when he tried to hit her. It was something she had learned in school back in England in a Psychology lesson, ignorance is the worst enemy. It makes people stop and think, it makes people even more angry. If there's no relation then there's nothing to keep you fighting.

Being ahead of everything Sky had already jotted down the number for the doctor on the back of her hand. She had planned to ring it tomorrow morning after Matt had rested up and gained back some confidence in himself, she wanted the doctor to see Matt at his worst so that he was guaranteed some treatment, Brian had put that idea in her head.

“What's up?” Brian asked cocking an eyebrow up at Sky as she walked into the kitchen. She pulled out a small glass and helped herself to Matt's orange juice, pouring it.

“He said he'll be down in five minutes.”

“You don't have to do this you know.”

Sky slowly picked up the glass and frowned, “I do. It's the only way he'll get better. He deserves something.”

“No he doesn't.”

"Everybody does."

"He doesn't."

Sky found herself becoming slightly angry with Brian, so she decided to end the conversation then before it turned nasty. She just nodded her head and drank the whole content of the glass in one huge gulp, placing it back on the counter and wiping her mouth the back of her sleeve. Brian was staring at her, and it was annoying her. She sighed and placed her head in hands, her chest going tight and her palms becoming sweaty.

Without a sound Matt had suddenly appeared in the doorway, his hair was messy and his forehead was full of sweat. His knuckles were bright red, one even had a speck of blood dripping off and pricking at his skin. Sky cringed and turned her attention towards Brian, who had placed the plate of Chicken and Rice at Matt's breakfast table. He gestured with his head towards the food before turning away and washing up the pots and pans.

“Thanks, bro.” Matt muttered, pushing himself down on the stool with a loud thump.

He looked up and shot her a look, a look that reminded her so much of something.

She chuckled slightly at the TV when she heard a booming laugh behind her. Her eyes widened and she didn't even want to turn around. She gripped the shorts she had on extra tight as she felt a hand on her shoulder.

“A bit childish for you don't you think.” He whispered into her ear. She didn't move, she knew better. She was fiddling with her hands and he kind of liked it, he wanted her to be nervous. It made things so much better for him.

He walked around the sofa and stood in front of her. His hand flew out as he gestured towards the remote. She gave it to him and he turned the TV off. It made the room awkward and scary and she wished she never gave it to him.

He bend down in front of her so he was on his knees. There heads were level and he leant his face dangerously close to hers, “Tell me kitten, why are you scared of me?” He smiled and flashed his dimples, Sky cringed.

She shook her head and looked down at her lap, her legs were crossed and her hands wouldn’t stop shaking.

He lifted her chin up to look at him, “Tell me.”

“I-I- You ...” She couldn't finish her sentence. He raised his hand and she cowered away from him. She felt embarrassed when all he was doing was scratching his head. She looked up and he was clearly pissed off.

“You're gorgeous I can't resist you,” He grabbed her wrists and quickly put them in one of his hands and above her head. He leant toward and licked her lips which were pursed together, “I don't even want to go and get another girl.”


The snap back to reality was something that scared Sky more than anything. The flashbacks she often had felt completely real, like she was back there. She could feel his hot breath on her skin, his smooth, sly voice echoing in her ear. Feeling anxious, she shook her head and turned her attention towards her watch sat on her wrist.

“I'll get Brian to call you in the morning and tell you what the doctor has to say.” Sky told Matt, not able to look at him. Her voice came out weak and nervous, something she didn't expect. It was like she was scared of him all over again.

“Sure, thanks.”

"Make sure you answer the damn phone."

Brian said his goodbyes while Sky made her way out towards the car. Her mind was full of thoughts, bad memories and horrible visions. Matt would always be the guy who had kidnapped her, why wasn't Brian like that too?

“You look tired.” Brian stated, placing a hand on her thigh as they drove home.

“I am, I'm going straight to bed. I'll unpack in the morning.”

“Sounds great.”



Sky had been sleeping talking for the past hour. No matter how much Brian tensed his ears, he couldn't understand what she was saying, all he could make out was his own name. For the past two minutes she began shaking, and his normal routine wasn't working tonight. It worried him and he wouldn't even have to think that this was Matt's fault. He was seriously beginning to hate him, he was beginning to want him gone. Seeing Sky like this wasn't worth the hassle, he didn't want this part of his old life back.

He felt trapped.

She squirmed again, her small hand coming up and gripping at his chest. Her mouth hung open, and her eyebrows creased together. Brian cooed slightly, shhing her and singing softly. He was beginning to think wether he should wake her up, but then he heard her mumble something softly.

“He's going to kill us.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'll be updating this story every other day from now on along with my new story, 'The Bucket List.'

Comments? :)