Status: Finished

Taken In

Fight

It was just an hour before I had work, and I was hanging, as usual, with Arty and Gina. “So, Max carried me to bed last night, but he wouldn’t even explain why when I woke up...”
Arty and Gina exchanged a glance I couldn’t understand. She patted Arty’s back and hugged him.
“I’ll leave this to you.” He swallowed and nodded. When she left Arty smiled softly at me, but there was sadness in it.
“Sev, for a smart kid you really are blind. I can’t tell you everything, cause that wouldn’t be fair to Max, but I’ll tell you this-I always knew that if I dated you I would be fighting against something I couldn’t beat.”
“I don’t get it.” I tilted my head to look at Arty. There were tears in his eyes, but he smiled.
“You should get that you’re in love with Max. I knew it the day we started dating, and it’s still true now.”
I hadn’t been expecting anything like that. I thought that was my deepest secret. Arty wasn’t just guessing-his voice held conviction. I couldn’t lie to him, because I did love Arty, one way or another.
“Arty....I’m so sorry. I just, I didn’t want to hurt you....”
“It’s okay, Sev. Just leave me alone for a while, kay?” He smiled at me, kissed my cheek one last time.
“We’ll still be friends,” he promised. I left after that, reeling from what had just happened. Arty and Gina, smarter than I’d ever thought, had seen right through me but still been kind about it.
My secret had come out, and I couldn’t hide from it anymore-I was in love with Max, the guy who’d taken me in, given me a home, and showed me the first glimpse of family I’d had in a long time.
Thus, I was hyped up and confused when I got home. Max was in his usual spot, a large plushy chair, long fingers tapping wildly at his Gameboy. “Hi Max.”
I let myself admire him for just a moment, the graceful line of his profile against the kitchen life, long hair draped across his cheek bones. “Hey.”
That was basically all I got from him anymore, hellos and goodbyes. It was frustrating. I actually hit the back of his seat, sending him forward. The Gameboy dropped to the floor.
“Sev! What the fuck?!” “Why don’t you talk to me anymore? We haven’t had a conversation in weeks!” Max stood, towering over me.
His ears were red with anger. “You don’t need to know everything!” He shoved me and I stumbled into the couch. “I don’t know anything.” I punched his chest and he leaned away, breathing hard.
“That’s because you don’t fucking see anything!” We were really fighting now, hitting at each other best we could. “I don’t understand.”
As I went to punch, Max grabbed my wrist, using my momentum to pull me into a kiss. His mouth was warm and soft. He tasted like maple syrup, the good kind.
Max let me go and turned to leave, but I caught his hand. “Do you understand now? Can you finally see?” he asked helplessly. “Is that it? You’re in love with me?” I asked.
My whole body felt like fireworks. “Obviously.” Max tried to tug his arm from my grip, but I wouldn’t let go. “I love you too, Max.”
He froze, muscles going tense under my hand. “I have been for months, even with Arty. I never thought you would notice.” There was a strained moment. “Please kiss me,” I whispered.
Max obeyed-he pulled me to his chest, kissed me possessively. The victory he gave off stunned me. Max leaned back and grinned triumphantly, curling his fingers at the bottom of my shirt.
“We’re not going to work tonight, are we?” I asked happily. Max pulled my shirt off and kissed me. “We are definitely not.”
END
♠ ♠ ♠
So, this is the end. Did anyone like it?