Status: 50,239 words || Completed.

Pretty, Ugly Girl

Take Eighteen

Waking up to the fact that it felt like one of them had wet the bed didn't bring James into a good mood. In fact, it just made him annoyed and not at all happy with Casey. Climbing out of the bed, he grimaced at the fact that his boxers were wet on the side. At least it told him that the wetness hadn't come from him.

Now to any other person they might have thought that maybe, just maybe her waters may have broke during the night but no, James instead thought that she had indeed wet the bed. She did complain to him at times about having a weak bladder since being pregnant so it made sort of sense for his first thought to be that.

Reaching over the bed, he shook Casey's arm harshly, trying to wake her up. “Casey, get the fuck up,” he said, shaking her more. Of course the shaking would wake practically anyone up and she was no different.

“What do you want?” she groaned, trying to pull the covers back over her face.

“I think you pissed yourself Casey, now get up.” It seemed that she hadn't heard what he was saying because she continued to try and pull the covers up. However just before she could get them over her head she froze, his words finally hitting her.

“W-what?” she questioned, looking at him for the first time that morning.

“The bed's wet Casey, I think you might have pissed yourself,” he repeated, looking at her as if she was stupid.

Casey flung the covers from over herself and stared down at the sheet that was indeed wet like James was saying. It was obviously it had been from her because it was on her side of the bed. When she saw the wet patch she remembered what had happened that night.

She had woken up around two am, wet between her legs and the fear of the fact her waters had broken. She could remember turning to the side and trying to wake James up to tell him about it but when he did wake up all he told her to do was to go back to sleep. No matter how much she tried to tell him that she thought her waters had broken, he just kept telling her to go back to fucking sleep.

“I didn't piss myself,” she stuttered, her eyes going wide over the fact that she actually went back to sleep despite the fact that her waters broke. She realised that she could have woken up to a fucking baby in bed. Okay, maybe not that extreme, she thought, but she could have woken up and actually have been in labour. That thought really truly scared Casey.

“Well if you didn't piss yourself then why is the bed wet?” James asked, not realising the fact that her waters had broken. He wasn't stupid, honest, but it wasn't the date that the doctor had said she was due so it didn't pass his mind for that to be the reason.

“My water broke you fucking idiot!” she barked, fed up with the fact that he seemed so incredibly stupid.

James just stood there, staring at Casey with a peculiar look on his face. “Well don't move straight away then,” she spat as she pushed herself off the bed and walked over to the set of drawers to the right of the bed. She was just about to pull her jeans up when James stopped her.

“So you mean to say that the kid is coming now, as in now now?!” he asked, hoping it wasn't true. It wasn't so much that he was scared of the child being born, it was more of the fact that as soon as the child was born he would be more bound to Casey then he was for the past nine months. It was rare for him to get some time to himself then how the fuck would he be able to get any now?

Casey huffed, “Obviously, I did just say. Now are you coming or do I have to walk to the hospital myself?”

As much as James wanted to make her walk to the hospital, he was her birthing partner and as much as he didn't want to be with her he knew that it might be a bit scary for her to have her first birth by herself. He regretted listening to the bullshit that the doctor spewed now.

So after doing the sensible thing of telling Mel that they were going to be at the hospital for god knows how long, James took Casey to the hospital. Seeing as he was her birthing partner he had to be in the delivery room with her. It wasn't something that he was enjoying all too much.

It was a relief to him that Casey was six centimetres dilated when they arrived so they didn't have too much time to wait until the doctor came back in the room, looked between Casey's legs before announcing that it was time for her to push. Before James could move away from Casey she grabbed his hand tightly ready for in case she needed to squeeze it.

“I need you to push for me Casey,” the doctor said to which Casey complied. James just stood there, his hand being squeezed as she pushed. He couldn't understand why anyone would want a career where they spend so much of their time between girl's legs and surrounded by the annoying sound they made when they pushed.

It went on for about five minutes more and all James could think about was just leaving the room and going back home. He was glad he didn't have to go through all this because he didn't think he would be able to survive giving birth to something. It just looked so boring and really, strange. Of course he knew all about sex education and he knew where and how babies came into the world but that didn't stop him from thinking it was strange and in the long run, disgusting.

It probably wouldn't stop him from getting with another girl and getting her pregnant after a while. It's how it all works out so there really was nothing he was going to do to stop it. Not like he wanted to anyway.

“One more push Casey!” James paid more attention to the pressure on his hand then he was to the actual birth so he only knew that she had finally given birth when he was asked whether or not he wanted to cut the umbilical cord on his son. It seemed like he couldn't have shaken his head fast enough. Why on earth would he want to cut that? It was such a disgusting thought.

After the doctor cut the cord they weighed and cleaned the baby before wrapping it in one of the blankets before handing it to Casey. “He weighs seven pound and eleven ounces,” was all the nurse said before walking away from them. Casey was going to be wheeled into one of the maternity rooms soon but first, like always, they gave her and the father some time with the child.

“He's definitely related to you,” James remarked.

It was obvious he was commenting on the fact that the baby looked rather ugly. Most babies did look ugly, fair enough, because their features are that defined nor have they matured enough for their looks to be shaped and primed, but James was stating the fact that he was ugly because the baby had Casey's nose. Her nose was something that she hated and constantly stated that she hated because it was big and rather wide.

She remembered primary school and the amount of nicknames she had because of her nose. It wasn't something she enjoyed hearing daily but there was never anything she could do about it. They were kids and that was how they were. Nothing was going to stop them, not even the fact that her mother did go in and complain to the head teacher. The head teacher did mention something about it to the students during an assembly but that didn't stop the nicknames.

There wasn't that many nicknames relating to her nose in secondary school thought there was a few that referred to her as easy or a slut. She never paid any attention to them though because it hurt less to be called them nicknames then it did to be called something because of a feature she couldn't control.

“No shit James, of course he's related to me,” Casey mumbled, suddenly becoming tired from the labour. It was natural because labour was something that could be really tiring at times.

“What about him being related to me then?”

Casey stayed silent when James asked that. She didn't like when anyone brought up that subject. She was fairly certain that James was the father but she couldn't be too sure. Though she never told anyone her bit of uncertainty, somehow people knew. She knew that James knew but because he was with her for the whole pregnancy and was now her birthing partner she thought that he believed her more than the (true) rumours that were going around.

When she was moved into the shared maternity room, James went downstairs to have a smoke. He wasn't really a smoker but at certain times or just whenever he felt like it, he would take a cigarette from the packet he always kept on him and smoke it. The only reason he kept it on him because he never knew when the times or the urge to smoke would sneak up upon him and it's better to keep the packet on him than to buy a new packet ever time that he wanted a smoke.

Despite not liking Mel, James phoned her to tell her that Casey had given birth to a boy, yes he was healthy and no he did not cut the cord. He also told her that hopefully the kid and Casey would be home tomorrow if everything turned out right and she demanded to be let out. Mel told him that she would get the cot from the loft down and ready for the time they got back. It was the same cot that had been used for each of them. James thanked her for that and it actually felt like he appreciated her effort for doing that.

Going back up to the maternity floor, James found the room that Casey was in and saw that the child was there with her. Though she wasn't cuddling him like most of the other mothers in the room were; she was just staring at him and he was lying next to her legs. Casey wasn't big on affection, much less showing to to someone that she didn't like. And sadly, she didn't like her son. Than again she didn't like the fact she was pregnant either so it wasn't that surprising.

“So what are we calling him?” James said when he reached her bed. He picked the baby up and held him so that he was lying on his arms and his head was resting in both his palms. He couldn't help but think that the boy would grow up to be somewhat ugly. He knew that babies weren't really attractive anyway but he could just tell that he wouldn't be like himself with semi decent looks. In a way that made him doubt whether he was his father more.

Casey just shrugged, “I don't know. What do you want to call him? You can name him – I don't want to,” she said, turning away from James and laying down. It was already clear that the child was going to have little love given towards him.

With a sigh, James looked at the child more closely. Despite the fact that he might not be his he was going to name him. It wouldn't be something stupid or something that he would end up being embarrassed about when he was older but it was going to be something that is known but not overly used.

“Hello there Gordon, you're going to be one fuck ugly kid,” James muttered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh the joy of birth and stalled hospital time. Go James!