Status: 50,239 words || Completed.

Pretty, Ugly Girl

Take Twenty Nine

Mel was slightly panicked. Abi wasn't in her room. She had only found out when she went up to wake her up but didn't get an answer. Naturally, she tried the handle of the door and was expecting it to be locked so when it opened she was surprised greatly. Though when she looked in the room and saw that Abi wasn't there she panicked. Though she used her brain and looked through some of her stuff. That just made her even more panicked because there were certain things of hers that were gone from the room.

The picture of her mother was gone. Her asthma pump was gone. Her hairbrush was gone. And the thing that made Mel realise that Abi wasn't coming back that was gone, was the one thing that she knew Abi wouldn't have been able to part with. The necklace she got from her mother when she was four. Abi never wore it and it always sat in its box on her shelf. It was now gone from there.

When she went downstairs and told John and Hannah that Abi was gone only one of them reacted, and that was John. Hannah figured that he thought that she should react after what she said to him last night so she didn't say anything but she did shake her head at him in disgust. Mel, however, saw that and looked between the two of them before finally looking at Hannah properly.

“Aren't you worried about Abi, Hannah?” she questioned, hoping that she was worried about Abi but that she was having trouble expressing it.

“No,” was all she said.

Mel was taken back. “No? How can you not care about her Hannah? I get that you're still upset about finding Jade, I honestly do, but Abi is your sister as well.”

This had the girl rolling her eyes. She didn't have Mel down as being stupid. “I do care about Abi, I always have done but don't you get it? She's run away. That's all. And it's obvious that she's not coming back. She wasn't here last night and she's not here this morning. That's a big head start for her, during the night,” she explained to her father and Mel.

“You mean to say that you lied last night Hannah?” John questioned, slowly becoming unhappy with his youngest.

“Yes, dad, I did lie to you last night. Do I regret it? No way. Leave Abi be. She doesn't want to be here and this is her saying so. If you do anything to try and get her back that means that you don't care about her. I'm telling the truth and you know it,” Hannah told them in a bitter tone before getting up off the sofa and staring at them both. “Don't make her hate you more then she already does.”

John wasn't done with talking to Hannah. “You think I'm just going to let Abi go like that? She's my daughter, much like you are, there's no way I'd let her run away and not do anything about it!” he exclaimed.

“Oh, so you'll allow yourself to kill your eldest daughter but won't let your middle daughter get away from you? Yeah, you care so much,” she spat before turning on her heel and stalking out of the room. Mel couldn't help but think that she was slowly getting both Jade's and Abi's attitude but mixed together.

Mel just sighed. “You just can't help yourself, can you? Why can't you just keep quiet for once John? One of your kids are dead, don't make it two,” she told him before leaving the room as well. He couldn't believe what she had just said to him but it did make him think.

Was he really that bad? He didn't think he was because he acknowledged them and earned money that they could spend. He knew there were fathers that didn't do anything for their children and yet they loved him and wouldn't ever want to lose him. So why did his children hate him so much? And now, he realised, it seemed as if his own wife was starting to hate him too. Could she really think that the way he was contributed to Jade's death? She wasn't like that, he knew, but he could have driven her like that. John wasn't too sure he wanted to know the answer though.
♠ ♠ ♠
Only epilogue left now!