Happy Birthday to Me

Dis-owned

MARISSA

Hi.

My name is Marissa and this is my story.

But before I begin I think it's best to tell you a little bit about myself and my background.

I am 18 years old and I graduated from high school earlier this June.

Now it's summer and I'm waiting to see if I got into the colleges I applied to.

My parents aren't exactly 'dream parents' or any kind of parents for that matter, but I have learned to just live with it.

My mother would have been a perfect candidate for that show on MTV called 16 And Pregnant but she was 15 when she had me. Basically she feels that because she had me at such a young age she has missed out on too many things in her life. Because of that, she goes out of her way to avoid me.

My father doesn't really act like a father toward me. On that MTV show he would have been the boyfriend who felt trapped and wanted to get out but couldn't so now he's stuck. He's mad about the fact that because of the unexpected pregnancy he didn't get to go to a big-name college and make millions like he had always dreamed. Instead, he ended up attending a community college and now he has a desk job that is nothing special.

He has become a workaholic and is away from the house 6 days a week from 10am-11pm. He has practically no home life, but that doesn't stop my mother who has guys over all the time and she has become a sexaholic.

As for me. . .

I listen to music nearly 24/7; literally - even when I sleep.

I want to go to college for Photography and Marketing.

I would consider myself a simple person, but my parents have told me time and time again I am beyond complicated.

I guess I'll let you be the judge of that.

*************************************************

I was somewhat sleeping peacefully, thinking about the Avenged Sevenfold concert I had missed the night before. I had everything I needed to see the show - except for the tickets.

. . .And wouldn't you know it. . .

Tickets were sold out.

Even the scalpers didn't have any tickets left!

I tried to sit outside of the venue and listen, but soon the local police came and flushed everyone out saying if you didn't have a ticket, you couldn't stick around.

Damn.

After I was told to vacate the premises I went home, flopped down on my bed and drifted into dream land which is where I was now.

. . .That is, until my door was slammed open and my blinds were ripped up allowing that horrible bright thing called the sunlight to flood into my room.

I groaned and maneuvered my pillow to block out the blinding light.

"Marissa, honey, it's time to get up?" my mother said quietly.

Okay.

What's going on?

My mother is never nice to me.

I rolled over and peeked at my mom through one eye to see she was really dressed up and looking nice.

What the hell?

"What's going on?" I mumbled.

"Sweety, you need to get dressed. Your father and I are going to take you out and we are going to celebrate your 18th birthday." she said in a sickly sweet tone of voice.

"What? But doesn't he have-"

"Work?" she questioned, "Nope. He took the day off just for you. So hurry up and get dressed because we have reservations and we can't be late." she said before she left my room so I could get ready.

Oh-kay?

After I had gotten into a black Green Day shirt, neon green skinny jeans, and black and green checkered vans, I grabbed my Misfits messanger bag which had my cell phone, ipod, and wallet in it among many other things.

I styled my hair and did my make-up before I was finally ready.

I made my way downstairs to find my mother putting away a bottle of nail polish like she had just finished painting her nails. My father was facing the mirror, securing a black tie to his neck and he was dressed nicely as well.

He saw me in the reflection of the mirror and smiled, "Ahh, there you are, Marissa. Are you ready to go?"

"Y-Yeah." I answered quietly.

This was still just too weird for me.

They were acting totally out of character.

"Great. Let's get going. We don't want to be late for our reservations." my father said before he led my mother and I outside to his black Jeep Cherokee.

I ended up in the backseat while mother and father sat up front. Father pulled out of the driveway and we were off.

*************************************************

We had been riding along in the car for about two hours now.

Are we there yet?

Or better yet. . .

Where are we?

I couldn't recognize any of the buildings we passed and I couldn't even tell which direction home was in because my father had made so many unnecessary left and right turns.

I knew something was up when my father made four left turns, going in a complete circle. . .er. . .a square.

"What the hell is going on here?!" I snapped.

The next thing I knew, my father slammed on the brakes and pulled over to the side of the road, shoved me out of the car, and chucked a duffel bag at me.

"What the hell are you doing?!" I screamed. "I-I-I thought we were going to a fancy restaurant," I stuttered, "W-We have reservations!"

"Well, yes. We have reservations - as in your mother and I. Want to know what we're celebrating?" my father questioned, but didn't wait long enough for me to ask, "We are celebrating your 18th birthday and the fact we don't have to take care of you any more. . .And with that being said. . .Don't. Come. Home." he said just before he floored the gas pedal and left me behind.

I sighed.

This was bound to happen to me some time.

But to do it on today out of all days is just wrong.

"Happy birthday to me, I guess." I mumbled as I shouldered the duffel bag. Then I huffed and growled, "Damnit! I left my Misfits bag on the back seat!"

I stomped my foot and crossed my arms.

"Well this is just perfect." I groaned, "Where the hell am I anyways?" I questioned as I turned around to see if anything would pop out that screamed helpful.

Woah.

There it was.

Right in front of my face.

There was a small two screening room theater squished in between two huge white-walled office buildings.

On the markee of the theater was written:

ONE NIGHT ONLY!
MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE

No way.

. . .Maybe there's someone in there who can help me.

I walked into the lobby of the theater and looked around.

If MCR was supposed to be preforming here tonight where are all the screaming fans or at least the security guards?

This place is totally empty.

I found the front office and knocked on the door. As soon as the door opened and before I could even see who it was I began to talk, "Uhm, hi. My name is Marissa and I was wondering if you can help me. You see-"

"Oh! You must be the new Go-Get-It girl. Just a second." the woman said before she retreated back into the office.

"Go. . .Get It girl?" I questioned slowly.

The woman returned with a bunch of bags from Taco Bell and gave them to me, "Take these to room thirty-seven behind the stage." she said before she slammed the door closed.

"But-"

Awh!

I stomped my foot before I turned away from the door.

Guess I might as well go deliver this food then I can find someone who can help me.

Soon I found the door and knocked with my foot being my hands were full, "HEY! Come get your freakin' food!" I shouted.

I heard laughter from behind the door and somebody say, "Well that's a first."

The door was opened and I stared right at Frank Iero.

Oh my God.

He took the food bags from me and gave the guys the bags while he kept one for himself.

"What's in the duffel bag?" Mikey questioned.

I was quiet for a minute before I answered, "Everything I have left in this world."

"Wait, what?" Gerard questioned.