Happy Birthday to Me

The Letter

UNKNOWN POV

Our Dearest Marissa,
By now you must know we have kicked you out of the house. Good riddance! If it had been up to me I would have kicked you out on your 16th birthday but your Father made it clear to me we should wait until your 18th birthday so we did. Let me tell you, the last 2 years of having to put up with you were truly the worst. You received good grades so I couldn't get on you about your schoolwork. You had a job so I couldn't accuse you of stealing my money. I couldn't be mad at you for always trying to bum rides from me because you had your own vehicle. You didn't drink, or do drugs, or take pills. In your own right you were the perfect child and I hated that. I hated it because you ruined my life. Before you came along I didn't feel tied down and your Father didn't feel trapped. In the end I have realized I don't care if you survive or not. I don't care if you read this letter or not. But one thing is for certain. I never want to see or hear from you ever again. Don't show up to the house. Don't even call. Just don't.
Goodbye forever
From your Unloving Parents

I sighed as I placed the letter back into the envelope, carefully, so it would appear as if it had been unopened. The letter was not sealed in the first place so that wasn't a problem.

I slid the letter back into my jacket pocket, hiding the evidence from anyone with wandering eyes before I get a chance to stuff it back into Marissa's duffel bag.

So she's been telling the truth this whole time? Her parents really kicked her out?

I guess I've already accepted the fact that Frank has made some kind of deal with her and Ray and Bob have befriended her just fine. But it still blows my mind.

It seems like there's more to her than appears, but she's just been so damn happy...well, sort of.

If all this shit were to happen to me I'd be a total wreck. No doubt about it.

MARISSA

After the washing machine finished I threw my clothes into a dryer which cost another fifty cents to run. Now the dryer was done as well and I was folding my clothes and placing them into the laundry basket with the help of Ray and Frank.

"So you only have two changes of clothes?" Ray asked.

"Well, three if you count my sleepwear." I corrected.

Frank shook his head, "That's it. We're going to get more clothes for you."

"I don't know," I said as I shrugged my shoulders, "My duffel bag is already kind of full. I don't think it can hold more things."

"You could take the tent and sleeping bag out of the duffel and have plenty of room." Ray said as he smiled.

"But where would I put it?" I questioned, "I'm not just going to get rid of it."

"We can stash your tent somewhere on the bus and put your sleeping bag on the couch in the bus." Frank replied.

I smiled and nodded, "Hey yeah, that's a good idea! Maybe we can stash the tent in Gerard's bunk...just kidding."

Ray shrugged his shoulders, "I don't think he'd notice."

I couldn't help but laugh at that as I picked up the laundry basket and placed it back on my hip, "Shall we go back to the suite?" I questioned.

"Yes, we shall." Ray replied as the three of us left the community laundry room and began to walk back to the suite.
♠ ♠ ♠
So what do you think of Marissa's letter? I don't think I made it sound mean enough but I'm not a mean person so it is what it is. I wasn't planning on bringing in the letter until a further point in the story, but I also thought it needed to be introduced here.

What do you think of the new layout? Thanks to Cupcake Violence for showing me the how-to board for layouts. Now that I know how to use it I may mess around with it a little more often. xD