Happy Birthday to Me

Carny Games

MARISSA

Frank, Bob, Ray, Mikey, and I were all on the Santa Monica Pier standing in front of a balloon dart carnival game. Frank and Ray stood in front of the table, holding several darts in their hands. They were trying to win this epic looking neon tie-dye teddy bear for me. But so far they had set down $30 dollars for the game and hadn't made contact with a single balloon. It was sad actually. They were dart balloon challenged.

I stepped up in between Frank and Ray and smiled sweetly, "Mind if I give it a go?" I questioned.

Frank and Ray shared a glance before they both shrugged their shoulders and handed me two darts each.

"Okay, so what you want to do is aim this dart at a balloon." Frank said as he held a dart in my hand, "It doesn't matter where you aim, just make sure it's directly at the balloon you want to hit." he explained, giving me a crash-course in how to play the game. After that, he grabbed my shoulders and lined me up to where he thought the best hit could be made.

Unfortunately, these boys really didn't know what they were talking about. Frank had lined me up to the most empty place on the dart board, void of hardly any balloons. Instead, I took a few steps to the side where there was a better gathering of balloons.

"What are you doing?" Ray questioned.

A smiled crossed my lips before I answered, "Showing you up." I then took one of the darts and didn't aim for a balloon at all. Instead, I let it soar a little higher, like one would toss an egg in one of those throwing contests you see at company picnics or whatever. My dart hit a balloon on top, popping it and causing my smile to widen. I did the same with the other three darts and managed to pop four more balloons.

The man standing behind the counter smiled at me, "Winner winner winner! We have a winner here folks!" he shouted before he picked up the teddy bear we had set out to win and handed it to me.

"Thank you!" I said happily as I hugged the cuddly, soft teddy bear. He was so cute! I think I'll name him Paul.

I turned around to face the band and got to see how all four of their jaws were dropped and hanging wide, "You better close those or you'll catch flies...or the rare bee like one of my friends did." I said with a giggle and all four mouths clamped shut.

"H-How did you do that?" Ray asked.

I simply shrugged my shoulders, "It wasn't that big of a deal."

"It kind of is a 'big deal' because you just popped five balloons with four darts." Mikey said quickly.

"Every year the L.A. County Fair comes to town and my friends and I always save up some cash and go. My favorite game was always the balloon darts every year and I got really good at it. But usually at the fair there is more than one balloon dart booth to choose from and the prizes always vary at them. Plushies was always my last-resort booth."

"What would you usually play for?" Bob questioned.

"Framed band posters." I replied, "When I got home I would hang them in my room."

I decided it was time to change the subject because the balloon dart spotlight was a little awkward, "Should we go find Gerard?" I asked. What? I may have not liked the guy, but I couldn't think of anything else and he WAS still missing.

"YOU want to find HIM?" Mikey asked.

"It's just that he's been gone for a long time and I want to make sure nothing bad has happened to him." I said quietly.

Mikey sighed at me, "You're really not a bad person, are you?" he questioned.

"That's what I've been trying to tell you guys." I replied.

Frank nodded, "Alright, let's go find Gee." he said before he snatched the teddy bear from my hands and ran ahead of us.

"Frank! Hey wait, Frank! Give that back!" I shouted as I ran after him with Mikey, Ray, and Bob trailing behind us.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sooo happy! I got 5 comments on the last chapter which made me want to post this chapter earlier than planned. How about 3 comments this time round? That would be awesome! Enjoy the new chappie! xD