Happy Birthday to Me

Well...uhh...bye.

MARISSA

Bob, Ray, and Frank helped me take down my tent and shoved it back into my duffel bag before someone honked the bus' horn which made me jump like a foot.

When I looked up I saw Gerard standing in the front of the bus with the driver nowhere in sight. I shouted, "Jerk!" knowing Gerard had done it on purpose.

As I got the zipper zipped up I noticed a shadow above me and when I looked up I noticed it was Mikey who was holding about four grocery bags. "What's going on here?" he questioned.

"Huh?" I questioned back as I stood tall, "Oh n-nothing. I was just leaving actually." I said as I picked up the duffel bag and shouldered it, "Well. . .uhh. . .bye." I said awkwardly before I began to walk away.

Behind me I could hear Mikey ask the others, "Hey, isn't she the girl from the theater yesterday?" followed by someone saying 'Yes.'

I continued walking down the sidewalk when I heard running footsteps coming in my direction.

"Hey! Wait a minute!" I heard someone shout and I glanced over my shoulder to see Frank running to catch up. So I stopped and turned around to face him.

When he caught up to me he asked me, "So are you really homeless?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "As of yesterday, yeah, I guess so. My parents drove me to a town I'm unfamiliar with, booted me out of the car, and left me in the dust."

"Do you know where you're going to go?" he questioned.

I shook my head, "I guess I'm going to find the city's homeless shelter, find a job, and see how things go from there."

"So how much money you got?" Frank asked.

"Less than thirty bucks?" I said as more of a question than a statement. "If I don't find a job in time I guess I can resort to panhandling."

Frank shoved his hands in his pockets, "So are you dead-set on going someplace?"

I shook my head again, "Not really."

"So. . .I was thinking. . ." Frank said slowly, "Maybe you could come with us?"

Is he serious?

Or is he playing a prank on me?

"Wait, what?" I questioned.