Syrin

Chapter Five

“So… what about Azriel?” Sari asked, a dreaminess pulling at her words.

“I’m not even going to begin talking about that cheeky little rat,” I said with annoyance, but not aimed towards Sari. I pulled my hand out of the cold, wet rag, using my nail to scrape at the dried-on gunk. On “boring mornings,” Sari would appear at the tavern and we’d talk while I scrubbed tables and did whatever else my mother deemed necessary. She never touched the wash rags herself—well maybe once—but her company was welcome.

“He seemed like he fancied you,” She whined. “You should have seen how he looked at you last night…”

“Pff. All he wants to do is stick his grubby little hands where they definitely don’t belong,” I scoffed, moving onto the next table. At times, I thought people just spilled their food so I would have to scrub it off in the morning.

“Nah. He was so sweet… and charming… and I wish he was fancying me,” she swooned. I hold to stop myself from gagging.

“I’m done with this conversation. He’s just a snake. Nothing else.”

“Well, my parents said a match with him would be the match of a lifetime.” She stated with as much official-ness as she could muster. It wasn’t much.

“As long as you’d never have to talk to him, or see him, or listen to him, I might agree,” I countered.

“Kadri!” She cried, stomping her foot. “That’s just horrible!”

“Hey, as long as I’m not the unlucky pride, I don’t really care,” I chuckled. Wiping off the last table I dropped the rag back in its bucket. “Come on, let’s try and sneak out of here before my mother notices I’m done.”

“Okay!”

Setting the bucket in the kitchen we slipped out the front. The sun was shining, and the streets were populated enough. It wasn’t a market day, so most of the town was out in the fields, preparing for snow, but that still left the baker, the butcher, the nobles, and the housewives to mill around.

Our banter was mundane… unless the approaching season for crizenberries and the Festival of Lights in Tekkaeson suddenly was exciting. I had my doubts. As we approached the center of town Sari’s house poked out above the rest of the buildings. She had a mansion of a house… nothing else in Wheaton could compare. While part of it did act as the governmental building and as the lodging for all traveling nobles, it was still too large for a family of four. Part of me didn’t think a family’s staff should outnumber the family members.

Sari waltzed into her foyer with glee, handing her jacket to one of the maids. I followed closely behind but kept a hold of my stuff. While Sari might be able to trust them, I was always suspicious of help… only the Creator knew how many times I’d wanted to steal a traveler’s stuff. I wasn’t gonna let it happen to me.

“Mother! Oh, Mother!” Sari called, flitting up the stairs of the grand foyer. I followed closely behind, taking the stairs with a little more dignity. “Kadri’s here.”

“Oh, Kadri, darling!” Lady Hyra appeared out of her calling rooms. She was surrounded by layers and layers of fabric, almost overwhelming her fragile features. She looked just like Sari, but with some age. Sari’s mother was the opposite of mine. Lady Hyra was always welcoming, and joyful, and oh-so-polite. She was the perfect mayor’s wife.

“Good morning,” I offered, my work clothes the equivalent of rags in her presence.

“It’s been far too long! You must stop by more often. Yepa’s wedding is just on the horizon, and I would love your help.” Pulling me into a stiff embrace, the woman made me chuckle with her polite ranting. “I mean, there’s simply so much to do. Would you like to help pick out garlands?”

“Oh, of course!” Sari called, giggling like the child she was.

“Sure.”

The woman led us down the hall and into another large receiving room. The walls were covered with flowers and lace and swashes of white fabric. I had no doubt I had entered wedding head quarters. Yepa stood in the corner, doting over some minor detail of a flower arrangement. Sari’s older sister resembled their father, with a more defined bone structure and solemn look. She was still tall and thin, but not as open and giddy as Sari.

“See, we don’t know whether to go with the winter lilies or the roses… both are simply splendid,” Lady Hyra sang, redirecting my attention to a pile of foliage. I wasn’t used to planning any sort of formal event, or even taking notice or decorations, and it all just looked like flowers to me.

“Hmm… I’m not sure, mother,” Sari said, as thoughtfully as she ever got. She held up a string of each of the choices, comparing them to different elements in the room. She must have circled the room twice before finally holding them up against me. “Oh! The winter lilies really compliment your skin tone.”

“uhmm… okay”

“It’s a shame you’re not the one being wed though, you really do look quite lovely with them,” Lady Hyra said thoughtfully.

“But I’m not even in the wedding so…”

“Well, no matter, we’ll remember it for when you marry.”

“If I get married.” And I meant it. I’d never get a wedding where people planned for flowers, or fitted my dress, or matched anything.

“There you go again!” Sari shouted. “Of course you’ll get married! And I’ll be there, and mother will be there, and the whole town!”

“Sari, you need to get out of your bubble. I’m not like you. If there’s a ceremony at all… well, it will only be because my husband is a rich farmer.” And the only way my mother would have me matched would be if she made a few coins from it.

“Now, Kadri, that is no way to be thinking,” Lady Hyra chided. “You will marry, and I’ll pay for the ceremony myself if that’s what it takes.”

“Add my purse to the table,” Yepa said, gliding over to us in a silky gown. “I won’t let you go without your right as a woman.”

“Thanks.” Their care meant a lot, but I still doubted them. Even Yepa, whom I’d never known to be anything but completely trustworthy.

We settled into a silence, Yepa and Sari sorting through china, lace chargers, invitations, and centerpieces while Lady Hyra organized some lists. I finally resigned myself to stand behind the group and watching. I had no idea what to do, but anything would be better than just returning to the tavern.

By the time midday rolled around I thought I had seen every type of lace ever invented. Along with all of the possible pairing combinations and flower accompaniments. Finally, one of the maids announced noon meal and the three of us shuffled downstairs to the dining hall. Lord Mayor Hyra was already seated at the head of the table, reading through what seemed be an official letter. The ceilings arched above us, and I couldn’t help but look up as we entered. I always wondered how anyone could build such a room… it was much too grand to seem feasible. I was too preoccupied with the ceiling to notice a certain guest that entered from the opposite side of the room.

“Lord and Lady, I was wondering if I may take my lunch packed, and ride out to the woods to eat among the trees.” I spun, freezing as I saw Azriel standing behind one of the chairs. “Miss Yepa, Miss Sari, Miss Kadri,” He said, acknowledging each of us. He added a sort of emphasis to my name that made my hair stand on end.

“Well, of course, it’s acceptable to me, as long as my Lord agrees,” Lady Hyra said, turning to her husband.

“Sounds fine.” I always found the Lord Mayor to be a cold man… not unkind, just not very welcoming… or emotional in any way.

“On second thought, would Miss Kadri be able to join me? I would love to have her company,” Azriel asked, with court politeness, completely focused on me. I had to fight myself not to blush or turn and walk out of the room.

“You two have become quick friends, then?” Lady Hyra asked. “That seems splendid, there’s an extra horse in the stable.”

“Oh, I couldn’t…” I said, hoping there would be some way to escape a romantic trip into the woods with the conniving little rat. He had charm. I had to give him that. He was wearing what looked like very expensive riding gear, including an embroidered jacket and leather boots.

“Sure you could, Kadri!” Sari broke in, basically hopping up and down with excitement over the idea.

“No, my mother will be expecting me back soon—“

“No matter, I’m sure she’ll forgive me,” Azriel interrupted. We a smug grin he hooked my arm in his and towed me towards the door. “Sir, would you please have two noon-meals prepared for travel and sent to the stable?” He commanded one of the servants.
It took all of the self control I had not to rip my arm away from his and slip him in the face. I had this odd thought that it might not go over well with the Hyras. And Azriel obviously didn't know my mother.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well. It's been a while but here you go. I've been doing a lot of editing... so quite a bit has changed in the beginning. But I hope you enjoy, and as always, please comment!
Chapter six is already in progress, by the way.